• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potstickers with a Western flavor

CDRFloppingham

I bought the materials for

Reuben (corned beef, swiss, sauerkraut) with Russian dressing

"Cheeseburger" (ground beef, cheddar, grilled onions) with ketchup

Mexican (chorizo, corn, cilantro, cheese) with salsa

BBQ (pulled brisket, BBQ sauce, onion) with NC sauce

I will report how they tasted.

Thanks all!

I bought the materials for

Reuben (corned beef, swiss, sauerkraut) with Russian dressing  Good but not great.

"Cheeseburger" (ground beef, cheddar, grilled onions) with ketchup Our favorite of the bunch

Mexican (chorizo, corn, cilantro, cheese) with salsa  Probably second favorite

BBQ (pulled brisket, BBQ sauce, onion) with NC sauce I used some pulled, oven "BBQed" brisket bound with a little BBQ sauce and swiss cheese and some finely chopped onions.  This was our least favorite although, as a kind cute appetizer, it was OK.

I will report how they tasted.

Thanks all!

Overall comments - three of the items used cooked ingredients. because they packed kinda loosely, it was hard to get a lot into each wrapper which is what I wanted to do.

Comments specific to each "kuo teh" in bold above.

BBQ (pulled brisket, BBQ sauce, onion) with NC sauce I used some pulled, oven "BBQed" brisket bound with a little BBQ sauce and swiss cheese and some finely chopped onions.  This was our least favorite although, as a kind cute appetizer, it was OK.

Toss the brisket in the smoker instead of the oven and get that swiss cheese out of there and it will probably climb a few notches in the results. :biggrin:

Fill 'em with the nice, smokey pork moistened with a bit of your favorite sauce and serve them in spoons on a dab of whatever type of coleslaw you prefer. BBQ and coleslaw... it was contrast when contrast wasn't cool.

I think jambalaya would make a nice filling, it would have to be an intensely flavored one to make it's point in small dumplings though. Or maybe a Creole BBQ shrimp or crawfish tail and serve the seasoned butter they cook in as the dipping sauce.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone this my first post, although I've been reading eGullet for a couple of years now. I just finally took the time to completely fill out the membership application.

Potstickers are one of my favorite subjects. I've made untold thousands of these things over the years and I just love creating new ones. Since you're asking for something Western here's a few ideas:

1. Fill them with a fish mouseline. You can either boil cook them in a fish stock or cook in the more usual fashion, but use olive oil instead of peanut. Any light red, basil cream, or lemon caper cream sauce would go nicely. You could also add chunks of shrimp, lobster, scallop, or crab meat to the filling for added texture and flavor. You could make a saffron flavored soup and serve them in that. (That was a hit last Christmas)

2. Use a filling similar that of dolmas (use some ground lamb or beef). Cook in chicken stock or pan cook as normal using olive oil. Serve warm rather than hot and toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and fresh herbs.

3. Beef taco (pico de gallo) filling with cheese. Serve pan-fried or even deep-fried. No need for a sauce. Serve with a nice Tex-Mex green salad and good salsa for dipping.

4. Philly style cheesesteak. Make a blend of cooked meat, peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Add cheese to cooled blend and fill. Serve with ketchup and cherry peppers.

5. Italian meatball filling. Serve with your favorite red sauce.

6. How about shaved ham, cheese, & roasted red peppers. Serve with a good mustard and pickled red onions. You also substitute prociutto for the ham and serve them in an alfredo or light red sauce.

7. Any curried meat & veggies. Serve with a coconut curry cream sauce.

8. Corned beef and cabbage. Cook in a flavorful broth and serve as a soup.

9. Ricotta, ham, pepperoni, & mozzarella. Pan-fried or deep-fried. Serve with an italian red sauce.

10. Fill with a very stiff creamed spinach, mushroom duxelles, or creamed corn. Use a side or a vegetarian entree.

11. In keeping with the corned beef idea. Corned beef hash sounds pretty good. Pan-fry them and serve them with poached eggs and toast.

Edited by MRE (log)

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields