• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potstickers with a Western flavor

CDRFloppingham

Yes, I am aware that every culture has a filled dumpling dish...gyoza in Japan, kuo teh in China, ravioli/tortellini in Italy, pierogi in Poland, etc.

However, I am interested in making some dumplings that really look like potstickers (using won ton/gyoza wrappers, using the pan-fry then steam method of cooking) but have non-Asian flavors.

So far, I've thought of filling with a tight Italian meat sauce, some kind of riff on Cordon Bleu, and maybe a jerk chicken/plantain/Carribean thing.

Any other ideas? Any ideas about dipping sauces I could serve with them? I plan to serve with chopsticks on Asian-looking plates.

TIA

Floppy

Have you thought about sweet dessert potstickers? I think either apples (seasoned for a pie) or pears with ginger would be good in a dumpling. There's probably tons more ideas that folks here could come up with, but those two struck me first. Oh, yeah, with salted carmel dipping sauce...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Curried potstickers or that that minced lamb filling you get in samosas, mmm.

Edited: whoops, you did say Western didn't you?! Western Punjab then...

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

This recipe comes from link to book"Asian Appetizers" by Joyce Jue (Harlow & Ratner 1991):

East West Cheese & Shrimp Gyozas - the filling is a mixture of shrimp, Chinese sausage, seasonings, and Monterey Jack cheese. It is served with a Lime Cream Sauce made from Chicken Stock, whipping cream, lime juice and seasonings. I've made this recipe and it is delicious!

If this appeals to you, please PM me and I'll send you the recipe - I don't want to violate the guidelines by posting it verbatim here. Or see it online here.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

This recipe comes from link to book"Asian Appetizers" by Joyce Jue (Harlow & Ratner 1991):

East West Cheese & Shrimp Gyozas - the filling is a mixture of shrimp, Chinese sausage, seasonings, and Monterey Jack cheese.  It is served with a Lime Cream Sauce made from Chicken Stock, whipping cream, lime juice and seasonings.  I've made this recipe and it is delicious!

If this appeals to you, please PM me and I'll send you the recipe - I don't want to violate the guidelines by posting it verbatim here.  Or see it online here.

CHEESE!!!! Er.... I'm not so sure about this one. This asian usually draws the line at cheese and asian food together. I do like monterey jack though, so hrm.

What about chopped BBQ (brisket or pork) - served with vinegar-based or mustardy BBQ sauce to dip?

That is precisely, exactly what I would've suggested right off the bat (probably because it's an idea I have considered for a while, but haven't gotten to yet.) I bet they rock.

I do have another one, or maybe two:

Chorizo/onion/cilantro with a chile sauce on the side

-they could be served alongside other ones with that black bean/corn salsa stuff

...or you could just combine everything right off the bat and make chorizo/corn/etc... dumplings. Ooh baby!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I made a ravioli of Duck Confit, Potatos, Edamame & Truffle Salt that was gorgeous. I think there was some chopped spring onion in there as well. It's sort of east meets west but I imagine it would go great in a potsticker as well.

PS: I am a guy.

The reason I got so excited about the initial post on this topic was because I've made this recipe before - and even though it seems like it won't work from reading the ingredient list - there is something about the power of cheese that makes everything yummy, and the Lime Cream also takes the dish to yummy heights. And, consistent with what the original poster asked for - it is more West than East.

East West Cheese & Shrimp Gyozas - the filling is a mixture of shrimp, Chinese sausage, seasonings, and Monterey Jack cheese.  It is served with a Lime Cream Sauce made from Chicken Stock, whipping cream, lime juice and seasonings.  I've made this recipe and it is delicious!

If this appeals to you, please PM me and I'll send you the recipe - I don't want to violate the guidelines by posting it verbatim here.  Or see it online here.

CHEESE!!!! Er.... I'm not so sure about this one. This asian usually draws the line at cheese and asian food together. I do like monterey jack though, so hrm.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I once attended a party where the chef prepared a kind of Tex-Mex dim sum (steamed shu mai). The filling was ground chicken, plus tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and serrano or jalapeno chiles--all well chopped up and mixed in with the chicken. The chef also added a mild cheese (Monterey Jack?) to the mix, but I didn't like the cheese in this dish. The filling would taste as good in potstickers, probably better since the potstickers are fried.

Let us know what you decide to make!

What about chopped BBQ (brisket or pork) - served with vinegar-based or mustardy BBQ sauce to dip?

I do have another one, or maybe two:

Chorizo/onion/cilantro with a chile sauce on the side

-they could be served alongside other ones with that black bean/corn salsa stuff

...or you could just combine everything right off the bat and make chorizo/corn/etc... dumplings. Ooh baby!

I really like your idea of mexican chorizo and corn in a dumpling!

That is precisely, exactly what I would've suggested right off the bat (probably because it's an idea I have considered for a while, but haven't gotten to yet.) I bet they rock.

I third this idea. I had kalua pork potstickers in Maui at Nick's Fishmarket (main restaurant at the Fairmont) last year, and they were excellent. Made extra large -- so great pork : dough ratio -- and with a pineapple/vinegar dipping sauce. If I remember right, they were fried/steamed in the pan rather than just steamed.

I've been meaning to make it at home with my smoked pork, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I posted a recipe for Un-Dumplings, a kind of Lion's Head, to my blog Fearless Cooking.

It's tasty and quick to throw together.

edited to add

I saw you were looking for non asian flavors, but it's such a coincidence that I read this the day after posting my recipe I thought I could get away with it. :biggrin:

I do like the idea of turning potstickers on their head and using non asian flavors.

Grace

Edited by FoodMuse (log)

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

How about using the filling from the regional Louisiana specialty called the Natchitoches meat pie? It's a savory combination of half pork, half beef, browned with lots of garlic, ground cayenne peppers, and green onions (chopped scallions), as well as a little salt & black pepper. Seems simple, but it is definitely a great combo. It's traditionally used to fill a shortcrust fried or baked fold-over pie, but it would be dynamite in a potsticker.