• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outdoor Dining

lancastermike

Many years ago one of the first places I worked at had an outdoor terrace with tables set for dining. We used to say that anyone sitting outside was "eating with the Italian" The Italian was named Al Fresco.

My question is this. Do you like dining outside? On a patio, a terrace, a streetside table? Unless I'm having a hot dog, or BBQ or food of that type. I do not care for it. If having a nice meal out, I like to have a roof over my head. If I want to eat outside I can do so on my own patio at home.

Do you diners really like dining outside? And what do servers and culinary staff think as well?

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Oh hell yeah...outside is just fine, we are just back from Germany and many meals were taken outside...I kind of miss it... and the beer tastes good that way too

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I will always choose to sit outside. Sometimes we select a restaurant soley on whether we can sit outside. Here in SETX, we can sit outside maybe one month out of the year. The humidity is horrid, and the mosquitos will carry you off if you're not careful.

Stop Family Violence

My fave painting is the Cafe Terrace by Vincent Van Gogh. If I could design a restaurant it would be to this theme with an area dedicated to Al fresco just like in the picture. It reminds me of Hemingway's "The sun also rises".

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Given a pleasant evening or afternoon and a fine view, even if it is only of the town squqre, dining out-of-doors can be one of life's great pleasures. Many of the world's best restaurants justifiably boast about the terraces on which one can dine and wherever one travels, much of the finest bistro, trattoria and tavernna style dining is done en plein air.

A few years back, I spent six weeks in Greece and I don't think I dined inside more than once or twice the whole time. Here at home, I insist that the family dine outside on the front porch of our rowhouse as often as possible. Unlike Greece, we don't always dine between nine and midnight, so the heat can be unbearable occasionally and we're forced into the air conditioning, but -- given the proper climate -- I'm not sure I'd ever eat indoors.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

If the choice were between eating outside and not getting a table, I might choose to eat outside. Ever since I was eating outside on a breezy day, and a piece of lettuce from a Caesar salad on a server's tray flew off and hit me as she was passing our table, I've preferred the indoors for dining.

If the choice were between eating outside and not getting a table, I might choose to eat outside. Ever since I was eating outside on a breezy day, and a piece of lettuce from a Caesar salad on a server's tray flew off and hit me as she was passing our table, I've preferred the indoors for dining.

And I was just worried about bird poop in my beer :raz:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

But, at home, eating outside means schlepping all that crap out and back in and I hate that part!

I have a lovely covered area outside that we call a pavillion. Can seat 12 or more people for dinner. Love the idea of eating there and do it often BUT it is twice as much work as eating inside. Great for some of the menu items being grilled BUT so many of the condiments, side dishes, plates, serveware, etc. needs schlepped both to the outside and then back to the inside AND THAT IS A LOT OF WORK!!!!!

Donna

For me it totally depends on where the outside seating area is.

On the coast, near water of any kind, a lovely garden area or seculuded patio that's nicely landscaped, maybe with a fountain and nice lighting, one of the hidden courtyards in New Orleans, all of those are magical, and I will take those options over indoor seating any day. Well, any day that isn't pouring rain or 40 below zero !

I have, however, never seen the allure of eating in an outdoor area that overlooks a parking lot, or a busy street. The smell of exhaust does nothing to enhance the dining experience, IMO.

My own patio, yeah, wayyyyyyyyy too much work. When I grill, I bring the grilled stuff in, where all the other food and drink is !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 2 months later...

love, love, love outdoor dining.

We have a garden enclosed patio at my restaurant (I'm the GM) that fits 7 tables (one 6, one 4 and 5 deuce's) as well as a 'lounge' (a circle of lounge chairs and cocktail tables that create an outdoor 'bar') and a large number of my patron's visit just because we have this area.

We also allow small dogs and people just *love* to dine with their small dog in tow.

Yes....there is definitely nothing like the summertime vibe with the tiki torches burning and all the french doors thrown open onto the patio watching everyone dine 'al fresco'

it is a selling point to be sure.

Outdoor dining is the best.

I agree with others that the setting counts - waterside, in a garden - but not roadside, please! We often take picnics for dinner just to enjoy the fresh air. I'm also lucky enough to have a patio with a great view, so when I'm home I eat outside whenever possible.

Because soon enough it'll be raining here in Seattle....

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”