• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Justus Drugstore in KC--coupon for patio dining

boagman

Hey, you fortunate KC folks. I just saw this on another site, and since I'm in Detroit, I can't use it, but if you're interested, it's a pretty interesting offer: a free starter with every bottled wine purchase, patio dining only. The expiration date's 12/31/08, though I doubt it'll be good that long, since the patio won't be open forever, obviously.

I'm not saying that it's a major league coupon if you're not a wine drinker (I'm not), but if you are, it would appear that Justus Drugstore is aiming to bring you to their establishment this summer, and I'd say that this is a nice incentive.

Here's the link:

http://smithville.com/PDFs/justus_coupon.pdf

That should take you directly to the coupon itself. Hope it's helpful, and enjoyable. If you do enjoy it, be sure to let us know!

Edited to shorten length to coupon

Edited by boagman (log)

Thanks - will definitely put this to use. No if I can just find six free hours - the drive and the relaxed pace make this a real 'destination' dinner.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I was at Justus on Tuesday and had a great meal.

They have some new summer preparations including a ceviche, a new preparation for the striper bass with arugula and ramp sauce and a new pork shank dish.

On this particular night, a group of 20, including some celebrity chefs, a reporter from the Chicago Tribune, and the people from Paradise Locker Meats, came in.

Chef Justus had prepared a special charcuterie plate with tarragon/chicken sausage, rabbit-stuffed pig trotters, pork head cheese, pork rillettes with mulberry sauce on house-made crackers, pickled brusselspouts, and gingered apples. He also had prepared a special appetizer of turkey fries that had been prepared like sweetbreads, with a berkshire bacon and porcini cream sauce.

The food was of course excellent and it was a really special night. I look forward to seeing what's written up in the newspaper.

On this particular night, a group of 20, including some celebrity chefs, a reporter from the Chicago Tribune, and the people from Paradise Locker Meats, came in.

Aha, so the rumor was true. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves. The Fantasmas were at a dinner at Lidia's a couple of years ago (along with Frank Reese and several other food suppliers/growers/breed restorers) and seemed like good people. I'll have to keep an eye on the Trib. Thanks.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Breaking news on the KCTV5 website......according to the State Board of Pharmacy, the word "drugstore" has to be taken out of the name because there is no pharmacist on duty. Man, you can't even make this stuff up. Some state govt employee is really earning their money......... :angry:

Here is the story on the news website.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Breaking news on the KCTV5 website......according to the State Board of Pharmacy, the word "drugstore" has to be taken out of the name because there is no pharmacist on duty.  Man, you can't even make this stuff up.  Some state govt employee is really earning their money......... :angry:

Here is the story on the news website.

I hope one of the local unions follows suit and makes The Cheesecake Factory change their name.

M.F.K. Fisher

But moosnsqrl, there *is* assembly line mass production going at The Cheesecake Factory.

Don't tell me you go in the kitchen there, too. :raz:

M.F.K. Fisher

I don't need to see the kitchen to know that.It's obvious by what lands on my plate.

you *EAT* there??? That's even worse. :shock:

M.F.K. Fisher

I don't need to see the kitchen to know that.It's obvious by what lands on my plate.

moosnsqrl, some aren't as privileged as to CHOOSE where/what they eat all the time. :wink:

And, for that matter, what right do you have taking pot-shots at a place you've (I'm assuming) have never been?

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

To help ease the tensions between UE and moosnsqrl I will volunteer to treat UE to dinner at Justus (house of Drugs) this weekend. How about saturday night? I haven't been up that way since last fall, damn the price of gas, full speed ahead.

Let me know, if I can't make it I will call them and make arrangements. I would love to taste the new summer menu.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

moosnsqrl, some aren't as privileged as to CHOOSE where/what they eat all the time. :wink:

And, for that matter, what right do you have taking pot-shots at a place you've (I'm assuming) have never been?

funny you should ask - and then we should get back on topic?

I *did* eat at TCF once. It was a business lunch and I was so appalled at everything there, from their reservation/seating policy to the "house arrest" beeper thing they issued with the threat that, if you didn't come to the hostess within 5 minutes your table would be given to someone else, that I swore I would never go back - even for work. That episode is what pushed me over the edge and caused me to start being pretty vocal about not going to places like that. If everyone else's wishes/restrictions (veg, kosher, "no Chinese" etc.) is taken into consideration when determining where to eat, I see no reason why "no chains" isn't a valid request. You just have to communicate it tactfully but firmly.

So there. :raz::raz:

M.F.K. Fisher

I *did* eat at TCF once.  It was a business lunch and I was so appalled at everything there, from their reservation/seating policy to the "house arrest" beeper thing they issued with the threat that, if you didn't come to the hostess within 5 minutes your table would be given to someone else, that I swore I would never go back - even for work.  That episode is what pushed me over the edge and caused me to start being pretty vocal about not going to places like that.  If everyone else's wishes/restrictions (veg, kosher, "no Chinese" etc.) is taken into consideration when determining where to eat, I see no reason why "no chains" isn't a valid request.  You just have to communicate it tactfully but firmly.

So there. :raz:  :raz:

To get us back ON topic, does anyone know if the online menu is current.

Now, for the last shot back: moosnsqrl, you shouldn't assume that my visits to TCF *haven't* been business meetings. In fact, all four times (yes, I remember each and every time) has been for business purposes.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Why are we even wasting time, energy and posts on the monstrosity I am forced to look at every day!!! Everybody that is enlightened to good food knows what they serve is crap. I have been there once (3 years age) just to see what it was all about. It is like going to the circus. I WILL NOT RETURN!!! Do you all realize how depressing it can be sometimes watching thousands of people going into that place when they could be having a healthful, locally procduced, organic, fresh picked food at a locally owned restaurant right across the street!! That is why I try to be conscience of where I eat and whom I choose to spend my money on!!

Therefore when I am enjoying my Sunday brunch at bluestem and dinner at Le Fou Frog this Sunday I know whom I am supporting and that my dollar is staying in KC!!

Beings this is the Justus Drugstore thread: Get up there and have a lovely dinner this summer. I was there about 3 weeks ago and had a nice dinner. I love their cocktails!!!!! I am thinking of getting 8-10 people and renting a limo so we can have the full dining experiance. :wink: I think you can get a limo on a Sunday for about $30/hour. It has been a while since I posted last so I appologize for running on.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

Why are we even wasting time, energy and posts on the monstrosity I am forced to look at every day!!!  Everybody that is enlightened to good food knows what they serve is crap.  I have been there once (3 years age) just to see what it was all about.  It is like going to the circus.  I WILL NOT RETURN!!!  Do you all realize how depressing it can be sometimes watching thousands of people going into that place when they could be having a healthful, locally procduced,  organic, fresh picked food at a locally owned restaurant right across the street!!  That is why I try to be conscience of where I eat and whom I choose to spend my money on!! 

Therefore when I am enjoying my Sunday brunch at bluestem and dinner at Le Fou Frog this Sunday I know whom I am supporting and that my dollar is staying in KC!!

Beings this is the Justus Drugstore thread:  Get up there and have a lovely dinner this summer.  I was there about 3 weeks ago and had a nice dinner.  I love their cocktails!!!!!  I am thinking of getting 8-10 people and renting a limo so we can have the full dining experiance.  :wink:  I think you can get a limo on a Sunday for about $30/hour.  It has been a while since I posted last so I appologize for running on.

That's a great idea - I'm in (if you have room in the limo, I mean). I've had reservations up there several times this winter and had to cancel each time due to blizzard conditions. I'm kind of afraid too try it again this time of year - we've had enough tornados already.

UE - I assumed you were dragged there kicking and screaming and for business. If I implied otherwise, it wasn't intentional.

M.F.K. Fisher

I *did* eat at TCF once.  It was a business lunch and I was so appalled at everything there, from their reservation/seating policy to the "house arrest" beeper thing they issued with the threat that, if you didn't come to the hostess within 5 minutes your table would be given to someone else, that I swore I would never go back - even for work.  That episode is what pushed me over the edge and caused me to start being pretty vocal about not going to places like that.  If everyone else's wishes/restrictions (veg, kosher, "no Chinese" etc.) is taken into consideration when determining where to eat, I see no reason why "no chains" isn't a valid request.  You just have to communicate it tactfully but firmly.

So there. :raz:  :raz:

To get us back ON topic, does anyone know if the online menu is current.

Now, for the last shot back: moosnsqrl, you shouldn't assume that my visits to TCF *haven't* been business meetings. In fact, all four times (yes, I remember each and every time) has been for business purposes.

The online menu is current.

Edited by kendix (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
And, the ACLU weighs in...

Thanks for the update. I am on Jonathon and Camille's side of this debate.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Incredibly funny image - u.e. and moosnsqrl having dinner together at TCF. Thank goodness it will never happen.