• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling peaches

mcohen

Any tips for grilling peaches?

And, what do you look when you're selecting peaches? At the farmers market, they told me that you should select peaches with a speckled appearance but I've never heard about this before.

I go by aroma. If it doesn't smell like a peach it won't taste like one and, most of the time, won't ripen into anything flavorful either (if not yet ripe).

Sugar content is on the high side so watch to prevent burning. The moisture in them means you'll have time before this occurs (you'll get darkening along the cut skin line which is fine). They don't take long.

On edit: Removed pic and description previously posted.

Edited by klkruger (log)

Kevin

I go by aroma. If it doesn't smell like a peach it won't taste like one and, most of the time, won't ripen into anything flavorful either (if not yet ripe).

Sugar content is on the high side so watch to prevent burning. The moisture in them means you'll have time before this occurs (you'll get darkening along the cut skin line which is fine). They don't take long.

On edit: Removed pic and description previously posted.

This post has been edited by klkruger: Today, 06:56 AM

Isn't aroma everything when shopping!

Klkruger, that looks really nice.

Ripe peaches that smell like peaches, absolutely. I'd add that buying freestone peaches, if you can find them, allows you to cut them in half easily and grill the halves. Paint the cut area before grilling with some balsamic vinegar, or a spiced syrup of some sort, and they'll be even better.

Specks on the skin are called sugar spots and they're a sign of good sugar content. The fruit still has to smell like a peach, though, and have that heaviness and slight softness that indicates ripe fruit.

This technique and discussion also applies to nectarines, by the way. I generally have better luck finding really good nectarines than really good peaches.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I agree with everything Smithy said (why has it become so hard to find freestones, BTW?) plus I'd add that if you are grilling peach (or nectarine) halves, don't bother to peel them. I think they look nicer and the skin keeps them from being too terribly slippery when you are trying to manuver them!

Even when I'm at a farmers market, I usually don't pick up the smell from produce. I don't know if its my allergies or if the food isn't as ripe as it could be.

And, if you can grill peaches and nectarines, does this mean that you can grill any type of fruit? Or, do some work better on the grill than others? I've even heard about grilling watermelons which I can't wait to try this summer.

Even when I'm at a farmers market, I usually don't pick up the smell from produce. I don't know if its my allergies or if the food isn't as ripe as it could be.

And, if you can grill peaches and nectarines, does this mean that you can grill any type of fruit? Or, do some work better on the grill than others? I've even heard about grilling watermelons which I can't wait to try this summer.

Grilled pineapple and mangos are fantastic! And if you do both and chop and mix them with some grilled jalapenos and lime juice, you have a wonderful salsa!

Bought some peaches today at the local (Saturdays only) farmers market. Not the most ripe and juicy looking peaches I've ever bought. But I thought one didn't need the ripest peaches to grill them. Am I wrong? Did find some beautiful black rasberries, strawberries, red rasberries and blueberries. Hoping to grill the "not so soft peaches" and hope they will soften some AND make a grilled peaches and mixed berry salad for part of dinner tomorrow. Should I try to ripen the peaches for a few days and just do a berry salad?

Donna

Don't refrigerate them. See how they are tomorrow and decide then. You can sugar them lightly if they are not quite there but be on top of them when on the grill so as not to burn the sugar. You can also sprinkle lightly with sugar post grilling as an alternative.

Edited by klkruger (log)

Kevin

Don't refrigerate them. See how they are tomorrow and decide then. You can sugar them lightly if they are not quite there but be on top of them when on the grill so as not to burn the sugar. You can also sprinkle lightly with sugar post grilling as an alternative.

Thanks. I have not refridgerated them. Will see how they feel and smell tomorrow. May just try to grill a couple of them anyway (with your suggestions) just to experiment. Will add them to the salad IF they taste like they would add to it in a favorable way. If not.....then I will have learned something.

Donna

Or, do some work better on the grill than others?
Mangos and pineapple, as mentioned, but also the other larger stone fruits (nectarines, apricots, plums--if not too ripe); bananas grill well (go for ripe but firm) as do strawberries (grilled more briefly). Grapes grill nicely (I skewer them with orange-cumin marinated cubes of pork tenderloin on small skewers as little apps, or roast Brussels sprouts and shallots and toss those with grilled grapes and a little lemon juice for serving as a side.)

Lemon slices or halves grill well. They are a nice addition as a garnish or, if halved, as an alternative to fresh lemon on a plate of, say, grilled shrimp. Quartered calamondins grill well on a skewer with poultry, pork or beef and, like kumquats (which also grill well), are entirely edible, peel and flesh.

Kevin

I agree with everything Smithy said (why has it become so hard to find freestones, BTW?) plus I'd add that if you are grilling peach (or nectarine) halves, don't bother to peel them.  I think they look nicer and the skin keeps them from being too terribly slippery when you are trying to manuver them!

Thanks for adding that note, Kim. With regard to freestones, it seems that most of the white peaches and white nectarines are freestones. Do you see the white varieties around?

Bought some peaches today at the local (Saturdays only) farmers market.  Not the most ripe and juicy looking peaches I've ever bought.  But I thought one didn't need the ripest peaches to grill them.  Am I wrong?  Did find some beautiful black rasberries, strawberries, red rasberries and blueberries.  Hoping to grill the "not so soft peaches" and hope they will soften some AND make a grilled peaches and mixed berry salad for part of dinner tomorrow.  Should I try to ripen the peaches for a few days and just do a berry salad?

I've read that grilling not-quite-ripe stone fruits will help augment their flavor, so you might be just fine. When they aren't ripe they're more difficult to cut, and IMO they still don't have the right flavor, but all too many peaches are picked before they're ripe anyway. Let us know what you do and, if you grill them, how they come out!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Figs are also a great fruit to grill, though you'll want to wait a bit for them to be in season. Mmmmmm... :smile: Bittman had a very simple recipe for grilled figs with goat cheese last September. Clicky!

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory