• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:20 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

This may be of interest to some.

Via Dr. O. Peter Snyder's website.

THE MICROBIOLOGY OF DISHCLOTHS IN THE HOME KITCHEN

It is indeed of interest, and I think this thread is very Important, but I am confused by the final statement:

Among other answers to this problem is the FDA food code recommendation: "Keep the cleaning cloths in the sanitizer bucket." This practice does not prevent the microbial population from increasing, because after an hour or so, the organic material obtained from cleaning neutralizes the sanitizer and the microorganisms begin to multiply. 

My first reaction is to ask why keep the cloths in the sanitizer bucket if it does NOT prevent the microbial population from increasing. Am I missing something?

I may have missed it, but I didn't notice any statement in the thread about whether keeping a cloth or sponge constantly submerged in sanitizer solution (such as bleach and water) takes care of things.

Jim D.

Jim D.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:20 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

This may be of interest to some.

Via Dr. O. Peter Snyder's website.

THE MICROBIOLOGY OF DISHCLOTHS IN THE HOME KITCHEN

It is indeed of interest, and I think this thread is very mportant, but I am confused by the final statement:

Among other answers to this problem is the FDA food code recommendation: "Keep the cleaning cloths in the sanitizer bucket." This practice does not prevent the microbial population from increasing, because after an hour or so, the organic material obtained from cleaning neutralizes the sanitizer and the microorganisms begin to multiply. 

My first reaction is to ask why keep the cloths in the sanitizer bucket if it does NOT prevent the microbial population from increasing. Am I missing something?

I may have missed it, but I didn't notice any statement in the thread about whether keeping a cloth or sponge constantly submerged in sanitizer solution (such as bleach and water) takes care of things.