• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

butter question: soft v. melted

polly

I recently made some cinnamon and cardamom rolls from Tessa Kiros' book 'Falling cloudberries' and they were fabulous.

The recipe called for soft butter to be beaten with sugar but i melted my butter instead.

The rolls were really tender and i was very happy with them but I am wondering what likely difference in texture would there be using soft butter in a sweet bread dough and melted butter.

Much?, any?

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I recently made some cinnamon and cardamom rolls from Tessa Kiros' book 'Falling cloudberries' and they were fabulous.

The recipe called for soft butter to be beaten with sugar but i melted my butter instead.

The rolls were really tender and i was very happy with them but I am wondering what likely difference in texture would there be using soft butter in a sweet bread dough and melted butter.

Much?, any?

if these are yeasted or have the addition of a chemical leavener, the difference in the butter won't be as noticeable as if you were relying on air beaten into the butter during creaming with the sugar (like in a classic pound cake that relies on mechanical leavening)

the difference might just be lighter rolls had you used the softened butter rather than melted.

Thanks for that answer alanamoana.

They are yeasted rolls and maybe that's why they worked so well even though i melted the butter.

nibor, your suggestion is of course an eminently practical and rational one.

Seeing as i have already made them with melted butter though, I will make the next batch with softened butter and compare (bit less fiddling than splitting the dough)

Thanks again all

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

It also makes a difference when the butter is being added. Do we think that cold, soft or melted butter can make a difference in brioche?

So I would have to ask the percentage of butter in the recipe and when its added. If you are adding it at the beginning with the water I would reccomend melting it, if you add it at the end and there is a high percent I would reccomend that you keep it homogenized.

but then you are whipping it wiith sugar, so that doesn't really make much sense to me.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea