• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alladin Pita

Hi, I have a friend who lives in the Chicago area and has a lentil soup at Aladdin Pita that she says is really great. She's trying to duplicate the recipe and can't seem to quite get it. Does anyone here go to Alladin Pita and have you tried the soup?

This is what she says about her efforts so far:

I'm using chicken broth, brown lentils, chick peas, carrots, onion, garlic, celery, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. I season with celery salt, pepper, a bay leaf, cumin, tsp balsamic vinegar, and lots of lemon. Do you have any suggestions on what I could be missing? Also, the texture of their soup is very creamy and even though I run my stuff through the food processor, I can't seem to get the right consistency either.

• 8 months later...

We have Aladin's here in Cleveland, so this might not be the same. My husband & I fell in love with soup when they first opened years ago, & I would take a carton home each time to try & replicate it. If its not the same as what your friend gets, I'm sorry, but it's still damn good. It also freezes extremely well, so make a lot.

Lentil Soup

2 large carrots, cleaned & chopped

1 med. large onion, chopped

4 large ribs celery, chopped

2-4 cloves garlic, minced

3/4# potatoes, peeled & cubed

2 cans chicken or vegetable stock, plus 2-4 cups water

1 and 1/2 bags lentils

1 pound fresh spinach, chiffonaded

1 t. each ground cumin & coriander, added with S&P to taste, plus extra to adjust soup at end

Saute carrots, onion, celery & garlic in olive oil until tender. Add garlic & potatoes. Sprinkle with cumin, coriander, salt & pepper; saute briefly. Add the stock & water. Bring to a simmer & add the lentils. Simmer until lentils are tender. Add the spinach & simmer a few minutes more. Taste & adjust the seasoning.

Serve very hot, with crumbled feta, if desired.