• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Grains of Paradise" Spice

cabrales

I wonder what "grains of paradise", a spice, taste like.

It was included in the dish described below recently sampled at Ken Oringer's Clio in Boston. However, I could not discern what component of the saucing and/or spicing consisted of grains of paradise.

Ragout of Calamari with grains of paradise, Argan oil and carrot emulsion ($14).

An interesting dish, and one that transformed the intrinsic taste of carrots (in a good way). The carrot puree had been integrated into a broth containing coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper. The argan oil was, thankfully, appropriate limited in quantity. (When I last encountered argan oil in a dish, it was at Gagnaire recently -- problematic) The overall saucing effects were rather interesting.

The calamari had been fashioned into long, tagliatelli-like strands. They were presented in a mound, with strands a bit like pasta strands.  Appropriately cooked. Also, the pasta-like effects helped the calamari absorb the saucing.  I liked this version better than the calamari-or-squid-like-seafood pasta item at Nobu.  

Grains of paradise also appear with langoustines in a dish at two-starred Grand Hotel du Lion d'Or, within driving distance of Tours. Note I have not yet visited this restaurant.

http://www.hotel-liondor.fr/anglais/chef.htm

"In his famous Langoustines à la Graine de Paradis, Didier [Clement] uses a most unusual medieval spice named 'paradise seed' which he was the first to reintroduce into French cuisine after a lapse of five centuries."

A while ago, Amanda Hesser wrote an article on this spice (this is not a positive factor, but I note it as background :huh:):

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/article...f_paradise.html

Have members utilized grains of paradise in their cuisine? :blink:

Grains of paradise also appear with langoustines in a dish at two-starred Grand Hotel du Lion d'Or, within driving distance of Tours.  Note I have not yet visited this restaurant.

http://www.hotel-liondor.fr/anglais/chef.htm

"In his famous Langoustines à la Graine de Paradis, Didier [Clement] uses a most unusual medieval spice named 'paradise seed' which he was the first to reintroduce into French cuisine after a lapse of five centuries."

We have plans to be there in a couple of weeks. The Hotel du Lion-d'Or in Romorantin was listed in the original Guide Michelin of 1900. The web site is quite informative. One hears so much about a few chefs and so little about so many others who deliver excellent food at the two star and below category. In many ways, everything is so much more relaxed and my memories of two star meals are quite wonderful.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

We have plans to be there in a couple of weeks.

Bux -- Yes, the historical aspects of this facility are interesting, as is the chicken in crust described on the website. I am uncertain whether that dish needs to be preordered, but I am taking it in before the end of the year, if all goes according to plan. While the chicken dish is the reason I am making a stop at this restaurant, I'd appreciate your guidance on other dishes that may be interesting, after your visit. :laugh:

From the way it's described on the web site, I wonder if the chicken in bread crust is only served on Sunday. I will be just as happy, maybe more so, if they have the langoustines. Mostly I am hoping we will find some game on the menus by then. I will ask about the chicken in bread crust if it's not on the menu, but if you are determined to have it you should probably request it in advance. I have not spent much time in the Loire in many years. I am particularly looking forward to revisiting Chenonceau which I have thought is the most beautiful building in the world.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

From the way it's described on the web site, I wonder if the chicken in bread crust is only served on Sunday.

Bux -- Yes, I am going to request the chicken days in advance. I doubt the chef would deny my request. I too have never visited Chenonceau, although Chambord (or similar) might be interesting too. PS: There is a direct train from Tours to Roanne (!) during certain hours of certain days, at least. It's not apparently a TGV, but a diner leaving Tours very early could get into Roanne in time for a 1:00 pm lunch. :laugh:

For other members, note that Lion d'Or is an easy drive from at least three other two-stars, including Bardet. One can arrive in Tours by TGV from Paris in less than 2 hours. Bardet is in Tours itself, and Lion d'Or requires driving from Tours.

We picked up some Grains of Paradise - in Boston as a matter of fact, They look sort of like corriander seens of smallish peppercorns, slight golden hint. I used them in a poaching mix and can't say that I could tell exactly the taste. I need to check back and see, but won't be able to do so til tonight.

We have plans to be there in a couple of weeks. The Hotel du Lion-d'Or in Romorantin was listed in the original Guide Michelin of 1900.

I've eaten there a number of times and the food is quite good. They serve a great kidney dish that quite good. Ask the Chef's wife, I think her name is Christine, for a local wine recommendation. They have some fantastic red Anjous in the 25 euro range that are reminiscent of velvet.

Bouland

a.k.a. Peter Hertzmann

à la carte

• 4 years later...

Bumping this up, for more information. . .

I recently mail-ordered some of these, and they're quite interesting.

Since they've been used as a substitute for pepper, I would assume they could be dispensed through a pepper grinder. Has anyone tried this before?

I used them, cracked, when stewing a chicken last night. They were fine, but I couldn't tell any difference from regular black peppercorns. That's obviously not a usage that will bring out their nuances.

I'd appreciate any advice or insights anyone can offer about using this interesting spice.

Wikipedia has this to say about Grains of Paradise or Melegueta Pepper

I have purchased them for use in a tagine with chicken and also ground and mixed into coarse salt and other spices to top a flatbread.

I purchased them from Great American Spice Company.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have three pepper grinders, black pepper, white pepper, and Grains of Paradise. I use the GoP mainly when I want a peppery flavor that's not specifically that of black or white pepper, something mysterious and warm.