• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Street Food and Snacks

wc4572

I don't know the protocol for new guys, but a quick intro. I'm a 24 year old math teacher from just outside Pittsburgh.

My actual question is about Philly street food. Where do you find your favorite snacks to grab without heading into a restaurant? I couldn't find a topic on this, so if there is one and I was being lazy-search-guy, please point me that direction.

Thanks!

I'm sure somebody else will chime about the various carts in University City. I don't have much experience myself but if you head over to Penn Campus area you can find tons of good stuff.

The pizza here is all pretty dissapointing to me.

Soft pretzels are famous, for some reason. Maybe because they're only a quarter?

Cheesesteaks...that's a huge can of worms. There are some ok ones in the city though.

If you're down on 2nd and South on a sunny summer day you owe it to yourself to get a taco al pastor or 3 from Taqueria de Pueblitos.

I'm interested to see the what other people have to say on this topic.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Water ice, of course!

I really like the strawberry, pineapple and lemon at Philly Flavors (in Fairmount, and at 13th and Pine). Some of their other flavors are a little suspicious, though. Last time I was there, I noticed a jug filled with liquid and labeled "Blue." Blue is a fruit, right?

John's (7th and Christian) is famous, but disappointing (and again, sometimes suspicious, like the cough-drop cherry flavor). But last weekend I tried their cantaloupe water ice (a special), and it was great! So you never know.

A slice from Lorenzo's on South Street. Soft pretzels from any vendor with access to a rest room (TV investigative reports have done little to stimulate the soft pretzel business). A scoop of most anything from Capogiro. Sidewalk kielbasa from vendors who steam the bun. Frozen lemonade from La Colombe. A barbecue beef and veal sandwich from the good George's in the Italian Market - the one a couple of store fronts south of Christian, a cheese cannoli from Isgro's.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you're down on 2nd and South on a sunny summer day you owe it to yourself to get a taco al pastor or 3 from Taqueria de Pueblitos.

This is only true on Sunday afternoons, right? Other times one has to get down to the 9th street storefront, right? (And it's actually Taquitos de Puebla...) or are we talking about different things?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

This is only true on Sunday afternoons, right? Other times one has to get down to the 9th street storefront, right? (And it's actually Taquitos de Puebla...) or are we talking about different things?

if you are referring to the taqueria set up at the headhouse square market, yeah, it's only sunday from about 11:00 am to ? It is damn good though.

I had a quesidilla pollo, and taco pastor with a mexican soda two sundays ago that was practically life affirming.

Heh, yes. In my alliterative exhuberance i forgot the Sunday part. And thanks for the correction. !@#$

Can't believe i forgot the banh mi. Cafe Nhuy has the tofu version and a good barbeque chicken. In my opinion Cafe Nhuy and the shop just a few doors up 8th street and the one a few blocks down (just before Washington) are all better than O. But I've only eaten at O once.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

• 10 months later...

There a new program all about Philadelphia Cart Cuisine. Check out Salt-Pepper-Ketchup.

Episode 2 featured that oft maligned food item, the hot dog/fish cake combo, aka the "Philly Surf 'n Turf". :biggrin:

I'm looking forward to new episodes...

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A egg, cheese and sausage breakfast sandwich on a italian roll with ketchup and LOTS of pepper. (leave out the pepper and you have nothing worth eating for some reason) Any place that does good cheese steaks is trustworthy.

Kung Pao chicken from the cart by the VA hospital.

They gotta stop by Gus' at Broad and Callowhill. Best cart of all time. Baconeggandcheese, saltpepperketchup and a Snnnnnnnnapple! That's kinda how the lady says it.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I agree with Holly, you can't do much better than the Italian market area. Lorenzo's (9th and Christian) makes good pizza and cheesesteaks, George's a few doors down 9th for sandwiches, Sarcone's deli a couple blocks north for hoagies, the Vietnamese places

nearby, Taqueria Veracruzana near 9th and Washington, lots of good eats on the streets.

Or do some shopping at Claudio's and DiBruno's and make a free lunch out of the samples.

I agree with Holly, you can't do much better than the Italian market area.  Lorenzo's (9th and Christian) makes good pizza and cheesesteaks, George's a few doors down 9th for sandwiches, Sarcone's deli a couple blocks north for hoagies, the Vietnamese places

nearby, Taqueria Veracruzana near 9th and Washington, lots of good eats on the streets.

Or do some shopping at Claudio's and DiBruno's and make a free lunch out of the samples.

Truth. Also, don't forget the tamale lady! And word on the street is that there's a new BBQ joint down that way...

I agree with Holly, you can't do much better than the Italian market area.  Lorenzo's (9th and Christian) makes good pizza and cheesesteaks
Truth Commission.

While in the Market, there's also Bitar's. And for hoagies, I'll put my two cents in for Chickie's, just west of 10th Street on Federal.