• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris dinner: Solo, Sunday, August

Chufi

yes, I know there are threads dedicated to each of those, but I will find myself in the predicament of having to deal with all 3 of them at once this summer, so I'm asking for some tips on where I should go.. on my own, on a Sunday night, beginning of August. :shock:

Some place not too fancy, where I'll be comfortable on my own, good food obviously, and not too expensive (but I'm used to the euro so that helps). And if possible, not too far from Rue Mouffetard cause that's where I'll be staying'.

Also I was thinking maybe I'd prefer a more elaborate meal at lunchtime and then a simple dinner in the evening, so tips for lunch are welcome too.

Thanks!

My current Sundays faves are Garance + Le Gaigne but because their Aug closing dates aren't in guidebooks (they're too new) you'll have to telephone (numbers are in my reports).

That's true of other places too Klary, because often the guidebooks say "closed two weeks in August" but who knows which two weeks?

Good luck, report back.

Edited for spelling

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Hello, Astier is open Sundays and Pudlo does not list any annual closing. Also from John’s latest reviews in “June 8 – Itineraries…” he mentions Le Gaigne which sounds very good and is open for Sunday dinner. It’s website doesn’t mention an annual closing.

As above I am not sure of the August closing dates but La Cuisine on La- Tour Maubourg is open for both lunch and dinner on Sunday. My wife and I had a lovely meal there in March. We had Sunday lunch and it was mostly french families but I think solo diners would have no problem

(...) Also from John’s latest reviews in “June 8 – Itineraries…” he mentions  (...)

hate to sound dumb, but where can I find these?

Click on Search on the top tool bar and just put in the name of the place then when you get the options, go through them and use the Find function on the Edit category. If you know who posted the post or topic, use the Filter by Member......etc function too.

But for my takes: Le Gaigne is here, Garance here and Astier here.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...
any ideas for the same combination - will actually be a couple, sunday dinner, beginning of August - but this time around the 7th (rue du bac)?

thanks!

Parc aux Cerfs 50, Rue Vavin 75006, Tel : 01 43 54 87 83, is open on Sundays (at least it was last time I checked) and not too far from Rue du Bac. I tried calling to see what their August schedule is, but they're not answering at the moment (and no info on the recording about closing)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

any ideas for the same combination - will actually be a couple, sunday dinner, beginning of August - but this time around the 7th (rue du bac)?

thanks!

Parc aux Cerfs 50, Rue Vavin 75006, Tel : 01 43 54 87 83, is open on Sundays (at least it was last time I checked) and not too far from Rue du Bac. I tried calling to see what their August schedule is, but they're not answering at the moment (and no info on the recording about closing)

thanks will give it a try and see if i can get through.

do you (or anyone else) know La Fontaine de Mars? It is open on Sundays and should not be too much of a walk from Rue du Bac...

looks like le Gaigne is open in August, and I just made reservations there for my Sunday, Solo dinner, looking forward to it!

Chufi, please report back on your dinner. We won't be there until early Oct. but Gaigne heads my short list for the first dinner in Paris this trip, which will be on a Sunday. Paul

thanks!

thanks will give it a try and see if i can get through.

do you (or anyone else) know La Fontaine de Mars? It is open on Sundays and should not be too much of a walk from Rue du Bac...

It is an easy walk from Rue du Bac (I lived on rue du Bac for a few years) however it is a very touristy bistro with translated menu's etc. We ate there once but found the food to be average at best with the standard bistro classics etc. We were surrounded by lots of loud English speaking tourists trying to get sulky teenage kids to try the food - once was enough.

A far better bet is Les Fables de La Fontaine (131 rue St-Dominique) which is opposite the La Fontaine. A quick check of Michelin and Le Fooding indicates it is open on Sunday. It is Christian Constants fish restaurant, he has installed a young team who cook very well, and turn out creative dishes. Very reasonably priced for this calibre of cooking. They generally have two sittings and so it is best to go for the second one at 9:00ish as the first can be rushed. We became regulars.

Another idea is Les Coccottes which again is Christian Constant (slightly further along the road). This is casual food, no booking etc and is good.

Just to add some more open sunday discussed in the past:

L'Ardoise rue Mont-Tabor 1st

Les Fines Gueules 2 Rue de la Vrilliere et 43 rue croix de petete s champs 1st

Le Bistral 80 rue Lemercier 17th

Le Balzac 3-5 rue balzac

Ripaille 69 rue des dames 17th

sandy

• 3 weeks later...
looks like le Gaigne is open in August, and I just made reservations there for my Sunday, Solo dinner, looking forward to it!

Chufi, please report back on your dinner. We won't be there until early Oct. but Gaigne heads my short list for the first dinner in Paris this trip, which will be on a Sunday. Paul

don't hold your breath for my report.. I got sick and never went to Paris :sad:

as disappointing as that was, I don't think I'll ever voluntarily plan a trip to Paris in August again. I got crazy with researching restaurants and shops etc only to find out time after time they were closed on the day I wanted to go (or closed on Sunday.. or not closed on Sunday, but closed in August.. etc. )

I'm sure one can eat well in Paris on a Sunday in August, but I'm also sure it's easier on a Thursday in October!

as disappointing as that was, I don't think I'll ever voluntarily plan a trip to Paris in August again.  I got crazy with researching restaurants and shops etc only to find out time after time they were closed on the day I wanted to go (or closed on Sunday.. or not closed on Sunday, but closed in August.. etc. )

I'm sure one can eat well in Paris on a Sunday in August, but I'm also sure it's easier on a Thursday in October!

I have to agree. I avoided Paris in August for a long time (even with living there for 6 mos, and many visits after that), and then a business trip landed me in London for 2 weeks in August. It was obvious that I was going to Paris the weekend in between. There was something refreshing about having the city all to myself, but for food, it was extremely difficult.