• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Amirault

Types of Mint Used in Cocktails

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I buy sprigs of mint at the local market then, when I have one I like, let it sprout roots and plant it. I have no idea what variety.

As @gfwebsays, it grows like mad. The one I have now has that room filling aroma and certainly doesn't taste like lettuce. It's dark now or I'd post a picture of a ten day old sprig which is now a hedge!

Did you put the mint cuttings in water in order to get them to root?

liuzhou   
40 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Did you put the mint cuttings in water in order to get them to root?

Yes, I filled a whisky glass with water and popped the sprigs in. Sometimes they take; not always. I can't find "rooting powder" here. No doubt that would help. When they do work, it takes about three days to have roots, but I guess that is weather dependent.

A sprig this size, grew to this in about ten days.

593c93b60f687_mint2.thumb.jpg.6e9b8626bf9e954de18cc155050f1650.jpg

593c93b1ab794_mint1.thumb.jpg.a185241c8ae406316467b3ced0af307a.jpg

And here is a cutting from the above after five days. Some has been eaten from both plants.

mint 3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

hierbabuena would be ideal but spearmint comes close 

Yes, I'm pretty sure my mistake was buying a peppermint plant rather than spearmint...the pots were right next to each other.

Sign in to follow this