• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Types of Mint Used in Cocktails

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I buy sprigs of mint at the local market then, when I have one I like, let it sprout roots and plant it. I have no idea what variety.

As @gfwebsays, it grows like mad. The one I have now has that room filling aroma and certainly doesn't taste like lettuce. It's dark now or I'd post a picture of a ten day old sprig which is now a hedge!

Did you put the mint cuttings in water in order to get them to root?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

40 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Did you put the mint cuttings in water in order to get them to root?

Yes, I filled a whisky glass with water and popped the sprigs in. Sometimes they take; not always. I can't find "rooting powder" here. No doubt that would help. When they do work, it takes about three days to have roots, but I guess that is weather dependent.

A sprig this size, grew to this in about ten days.

593c93b60f687_mint2.thumb.jpg.6e9b8626bf9e954de18cc155050f1650.jpg

593c93b1ab794_mint1.thumb.jpg.a185241c8ae406316467b3ced0af307a.jpg

And here is a cutting from the above after five days. Some has been eaten from both plants.

mint 3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

hierbabuena would be ideal but spearmint comes close 

Yes, I'm pretty sure my mistake was buying a peppermint plant rather than spearmint...the pots were right next to each other.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou