• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Blueberry Cheesecake

Prawncrackers

Hi folks, I’d like to adapt my usual baked NY-style cheesecake recipe to include blueberries in the bottom and wondered if anyone has any tips. Should I put the berries in whole on top of the crumb base then pour the mixture on top and bake. Or should I warm the berries through with a little icing sugar to make a semi-compote, then wait for it to cool before using. Which do you thing would give the best results?

I haven't yet tried that, but I was interested in making this particular cheesecake by Dorie Greenspan, which has jam at the bottom. Maybe you could adapt it to your liking :smile:

http://www.jwmag.org/site/c.fhLOK0PGLsF/b....e_of_Heaven.htm

Somehow, I envision that precooking the berries a little would give a more predictable and consistent result, but as I said, I have yet to try putting fruit at the bottom.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Personally, I think blueberries are pretty bland on their own. I like to doctor them up a little with lemon juice (because they can be too sweet) and cinnamon. I especially think that the flavor of blueberries can get a little lost in a cheesecake.

So if I were making this cheesecake, I would pre-cook the berries much like a pie filling.....a little sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and cornstarch......cook til thickened, and use at the bottom of your cheesecake, or swirl it in (my preference is to swirl, cause it looks cool).

:wub:

Thanks for the replies. Now I think having a layer of berry at the bottom would be a nice contrast to the lightness of the batter. In my mind if I use uncooked berries they would burst whilst cooking giving a nice effect against the boundary between berry and creamy batter – that’s how I imagine it anyway. Whether it would turn out like that I can’t be sure, maybe it’ll be too insulated and there will just be a layer of uncooked berries. Should I cook them out first therefore? Hmm...

Thanks for the replies.  Now I think having a layer of berry at the bottom would be a nice contrast to the lightness of the batter.  In my mind if I use uncooked berries they would burst whilst cooking giving a nice effect against the boundary between berry and creamy batter – that’s how I imagine it anyway.  Whether it would turn out like that I can’t be sure, maybe it’ll be too insulated and there will just be a layer of uncooked berries.  Should I cook them out first therefore? Hmm...

I'd be afraid that the cake would set up a bit before the berries burst, and then you'd have some unsightly watery pockets. Or if there's a whole layer of fresh berries at the bottom, you might risk have watery mush that won't slice or stay together well.

I usually make a compote, that way I can control the flavor and make designs in the cake.

I don't think the temperature inside the cheesecake would get high enough for the berries to burst if left whole and uncooked at the bottom. For my blueberry cheesecake I use 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen), 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch and squeeze of lemon juice. Cook till berries pop and mixture slightly thickens. Let cool and swirl into batter. I do half batter, half blueberries, half batter, half blueberries and then swirl.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay that's settled, i will cook the berries first.  I'm planning to cook this over the weekend and will let you know how it goes.  Thanks all.

I made a blueberry compote, and used a flan/ring mold for an individual cheesecake. I had to adjust the amount of liquid in compote after the first bake because it made the crust a little soggy. But after adjustments were made I have a nice blueberry cheesecake that the chef/owner loves, and he's not a dessert guy. Thanks.