• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sourcing albarino

CKatCook

I was in a tapas bar in Austin, Texas and on the advice of the waitress there I had a wonderful spanish wine for the first time called Albarino. The problem is now that I am back in Oklahoma, I can't find any! I bought a bottle in Austin and now I am wishing I bought a case to bring back. Does anyone know where I could possibly get some? Even if it's on the web?

Thanks!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I was in a tapas bar in Austin, Texas and on the advice of the waitress there I had a wonderful spanish wine for the first time called Albarino. The problem is now that I am back in Oklahoma, I can't find any! I bought a bottle in Austin and now I am wishing I bought a case to bring back. Does anyone know where I could possibly get some? Even if it's on the web?

Thanks!

Try winesearcher.com, they list many for sale.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

Do Oklahoma laws allow you to receive wine shipped from other states? If not, my suggest would be to go to the nearest wine retailer with the best reputation or largest selection. If there are no Albarino wines there, ask the person in charge if any distributors they work with carry any Albarino in their portfolios. This will probably be whoever provides the retail with most of the Spanish wines. Assuring the retailer you're good for a case may get one ordered for you.

You may have to travel to Tulsa or OK City to make that happen. If that's where you are and you strike out, and if Oklahoma doesn't allow you to receive wine shipments, then I guess you know one thing you'll be doing on your next out-of-state trip.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thank you very much for your thoughtful replies, there is one store a ways a way from me I hope to get to soon. For right now I am savering my one bottle.

(I now know, buy the case.....)

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Make sure the albarino is from Rias Baixas. That's the highest quality albarino region in Spain.

The Martin Codax albarino is quite delicious. It's been on the wine list at my restaurant for months and remains one of our best sellers.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Make sure the albarino is from Rias Baixas.  That's the highest quality albarino region in Spain.

The Martin Codax albarino is quite delicious.  It's been on the wine list at my restaurant for months and remains one of our best sellers.

I second that recommendation, a great success for us as well, which is especially notable when you consider that many people who walk in have no clue what Albarino is (ie, it has to be sold to them by the staff). It's good.

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman