• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Business dinner in London for 12-14 persons

I'm arranging an informal business dinner in London for 12-14 persons, and hope that some Gulleteers more familiar with the London restaurant scene than me might have some suggetions for suitable restaurants.

Price range: up to GBP 50-60 for the food, plus drinks.

Kitchen: British or European

Ambience: relaxed, traditional as opposed to modern, not too crowded or noisy.

Thanks in advance!

I think Pied-a-terre has a room that might suit you.

I'm arranging an informal business dinner in London for 12-14 persons, and hope that some Gulleteers more familiar with the London restaurant scene than me might have some suggetions for suitable restaurants.

Price range: up to GBP 50-60 for the food, plus drinks.

Kitchen: British or European

Ambience: relaxed, traditional as opposed to modern, not too crowded or noisy. 

Thanks in advance!

How about St John's? Their group menus look incredible and start at £30 per head...

And they've got a nice private room.

I think you'd struggle to get a meal in the private room at Pied a Terre for £50 to £60 a head for food.

tasting menu at boxwood cafe

Don't know if your budget will stretch to the tasting menu in the private dining room at the Boxwood (£65-90 a head) but I think its a cracking suggestion. I recently interviewed Stuart Gilles and watched a lunch service in the kitchen - the food looked (and tasted) fantastic.

L'Oranger in St James have an arrangement to use the delightful (and very traditional) back room of the vintage cartoon shop next door - it's a lovely room, which opens out onto their courtyard. They set out a large table, which should accommodate your numbers (but worth double checking the restaurant on this - we were 9 if memory serves me). And you get to roam the shop. Should be around your budget if you're careful on the wine front :)

Thanks for all the good recommendations!

Final planning has now placed the dinner on a Sunday however, where most of the proposed restaurants are closed...

I’d be grateful to hear if any of you would have proposals for suitable restaurants, open on a Sunday.

Thanks again!

You could try Clos Maggiorie in Covent Garden which is a good solid restaurant and within your budget. Has a private room upstairs which I'm sure would be as nice as the rest of the restaurant. Also is Galvin at Windows open on a Sunday? If so it definately has a wow factor and the food is not quite as bad as everyone says although still overpiced.

Thanks for all the good recommendations!

Final planning has now placed the dinner on a Sunday however, where most of the proposed restaurants are closed...

I’d be grateful to hear if any of you would have proposals for suitable restaurants, open on a Sunday.

Thanks again!

Maze is open Sunday dinnertime, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up ruling out hotel restaurants, and booked at a restaurant found through the Squaremeal link proposed earlier in this thread.

Thanks to all for taking the time to help me!

Newburg