• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Normans (Norman Van Aken) @ The Ritz Carlton

317indy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Just wondering what people think about this place.  :wink:

I dont know but i think i might try and eat there tomorrow. Ill let you know, if i do.

And?

Has anyone else have anything to say about Norman's?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Just wondering what people think about this place.  :wink:

I dont know but i think i might try and eat there tomorrow. Ill let you know, if i do.

And?

I haven't been, but i was talking to a guy who works banquets at the Ritz. He said that it's a bit of a palate killer "alot like roys" too much going on; sweet, sour, spicy all at the same time. Thats all ive heard.

And? 

I have never been to the Orlando location. I went several times to his "flagship" restaurant in Coral Gables, which unfortunately closed this past year, and also to predecessor restaurants of his in Miami. Van Aken is a very talented chef and one of the few folks who I think can successfully pull off this sort of "grab bag" fusion style. The flavors and execution are almost always on target; the only complaint commonly heard about the Miami location was that portion sizing was on the small side. A couple classic dishes that I love are the orange-infused conch chowder, and the "down island" foie gras french toast; I don't get as excited over a couple of his other "classics," the yellowtail over mashed potatoes and the "havana" roasted pork, primarily because they are not as adventurous in their flavor combinations (like many places, I generally prefer the apps to the entrees).

Having said all that, I repeat that I've not tried the Orlando location nor do I know anything about the team that's in the kitchen there (I don't know how much time Norman himself spends at the Orlando location, though it may be more lately since his Miami and LA locations closed).

okay, so i posted this thread before I took a position with Normans. I wanted to see what people thought of it, and aparently not too many people know/knew about it. So Ive been on the job for quite a while now, and I must say its truely a great place to work.

The food is great. The atmosphere is amazing. The quality of EVERYTHING is TOP NOTCH. Chef Clay has his shit together. He wants nothing but the very best of EVERYTHING. Everything is just amazing. As a cook its really hard, as everything is prepped fresh daily. We prep for 1-2 days max. Nothing is held past 48 hours. While on the menu you see just a few things listed, to each dish has roughly 40 things inside of it. We work 10-12 hour days as we are the prep cooks and cooks. There is only one crew, we get there about noon and leave around midnight.

Ill take photos tomorrow and post up my photos. Ill take photos of plates and such.

BTW Everything is SUPER clean. I would not hesitate to let my mother eat off of its marble floors. Yes the kitchen has marble floors. :shock: