• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food poisoning

paulraphael

I just had my first sick day from work in over 10 years. flat on my back, couldn't keep food down for 24 hours. Finally feeling better.

The culprit: a Panino from a takeout joint (only food I ate since breakfast yesterday).

Is there anything you're supposed to do in this situation? Call the panino place? The health dept.?

Notes from the underbelly

I'm sorry you are sick, but glad that you are feeling better. I think that with the usual gastroenteritis --vomiting and diarrhea as the main symptoms-- the only course is to stop eating or drinking anything until you have gone 2-4 hours without vomiting. Next start with sips of water or other clear liquids for the rest of the day. Next move on to more exciting foods such as crackers and dry toast and slowly move back towards your normal diet. Stay away from dairy fats and citrus for several days. No need to call the health dept. unless you're part of a large epidemic. We all tend to blame these illnesses on the last meal we ate but viral gastroenteritis is much more common. It is likely that you caught this thing 1-2 weeks ago. If it doesn't blow over in 24-48 hours see your doc. I hope that by the time you read this your illness is history.

I've had viral bugs like this several times before (once every few years or so). It seems different frome. For one thing, I always get the virus when it's going around and I've had direct exposure to other people with it. Not the case this time.

This hit me about a half hour after lunch, which was the only real meal I'd had all day. When I finally tossed up lunch, over 5 hours later, it was completely undigested.

The one other time I experienced something like this, the aparent culprit was a calzone!

I suppose it could be completely unrelated to lunch, but i'm still suspicious.

Notes from the underbelly

When I finally tossed up lunch, over 5 hours later, it was completely undigested.

I once tossed up some undigested chinese food a whole 5 days after I ate it. Funny how your stomach will push something into a corner and refuse to do anything with it. Very weird.

The worst thing you can do for food poisoning is take anti-diarrheal or anti-nausea medications; you'll just prolong the illness. If your body wants to get rid of a toxin, let it. Chewing charcoal tablets really will help, although it is really disgusting.

Hope you feel better.

I think you should call the health department. If you are the only one, they won't take action, but if there are a bunch of calls, they can pinpoint the factor in common and see if something is needed to prevent future outbreaks. Could be a one time problem or ongoing health department concern.

If you are inclined, trying to talk to the panino place is nice - but be prepared for denial and lack of interest - or they may offer you a free meal and thanks (somehow, I doubt you would be interested in a sandwich.)

Hey paul, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm glad you're recovering. You may be interested to read this previous topic:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=111572

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

This makes interesting reading:-

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/app2.html

However it does not cover the viruses but see here or google

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00085.html

The most common such as norwalk can come on quickly but normally between 12-24 hours.

The only way to know for sure is to have a stool test that can rule out the bacterial infections. If it's viral it could be something picked up of a door handle, one thing to watch especially with norwalk is to not go back to work even if you feeling well as you can still be infectious. As a minimum you should stay off for 3 days (even if you feel better after 24 hours) and be very conscientious of hygiene for 3 weeks.

In the UK where health care is free it's normal for dr's to ask for a stool sample to be tested if the symptoms have lasted for more the 48 hours.

I feel for restaurants, as often the last place eaten is the first to blamed when it could be from a restaurant days before, or a quick onset virus of many other things. Also to blame is the "work ethic" that makes people go back to work when they feel well but when they are not infectious.

It really gets my goat when people (Either due to misjudged employer sick pay rules or a sense of duty) struggle in with colds (not flu - as you can't move if it's real flu) and infect the rest of us. so we then look bad if we don't come in and infect more people.

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Just FWIW - where I live - NE Florida - there is a "tummy flu" going around now. Quite a few people affected - including my father - quite a few of his doctor's patients - and a couple of friends. Don't know how the bug is transmitted - my husband and I were with my father for quite a while - and neither of us got sick. So it might not be a "food poisoning" event in your case.

Best way to proceed IMO is stay home - be miserable - remember to hydrate with relatively salty things - I like Campbell's chicken noodle soup - and start getting down simple solid foods when possible (think apple sauce - plain white rice - a little toast - etc.). Robyn

before I became a pro chef I worked for a university medical center and saw a lot of cool stuff. But want to caution everyone before you start calling lawyers - I issued several community alerts concerning virus' that were - lets say harsh coming out of both ends that was contributed to a norwalk type virus. While I hate that anyone gets sick, calling the establishment usually does nothing, the health depatment will wait until they get several complaints and then investigate. Keep in mind that people get sick - I myself am totally facinated that we are all not walking dead - with door handles - s/p shakers and ketchup bottles - oh and I like this one - where the bus guys use the rag in the bus tub to wipe down the tables and chairs over and over and over - love that - OR the server that clears the table behind you putting thier fingers in 3 glasses to carry them and then comes out with your plate....so the point is - lots of things go around - hydrate as much as you can if you have not gotten any better and start hacking yellow crud or blood - 911.

Good Luck