• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Impact of economy on artisinal confectioners?

Sebastian

historically, during times of economic slowdown - at least in north america, there's been an inverse relationship with the economy and chocolate sales... economy goes down, chocolate sales go up. folks feel they can't afford the lexus anymore, but a nice box of chocolates is viewed as an affordable luxury that in many respects takes the place of the big ticket items.

i'm curious as to what those of you with 'boots on the street' so to speak are experiencing in todays economic climate? one of the big differences today vs previous economically difficult times is that raw materials and transportation are simultaneously up - given that sugar and dairy comprise almost everything we make, and they have to be brought in from elsewhere it's a rough combination. not to mention that approx 34% of this years corn crop is going to bio-fuel, and climactic conditions took out a good portion of the crops over the last couple of weeks (that's not going to help anyone).

are your sales being adversely affected this year, are you seeing them up vs a few years ago, or are they flat? are you able to pass on higher production costs?

I had never heard that before but its true in my case. We don't do truffles, but the high end bars (Patric, Askinosie, Cluizel) are selling very well right now which is odd because I normally don't sell much chocolate in the summer heat.

I don't sell, but I gotta think that competition is a bigger threat than the economy. Used to be Norman Love was one of the few people airbrushing his chocolates. Now everybody does it.

The general techniques are getting more known and now we have 2 great books in English (Greweling and Shotts), one of which costs only $20 or so. As people know the techniques, they are going to open up shops.

Even I can do those basic techniques, and I work long hours in an engineering job.

To me, that effect is much greater than that of the economy.

That’s an interesting question and I, too, am surprised to see a surge in business. Especially the bars. Hard to say exactly what is the impact of the economy because there are so many factors in my case: new chocolatier, some new products (like bars).

Last year I saw a real drop off during the Summer months, but not so much for 2008. In spite of the economy, this is turning out to be a good year for me.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I don't sell, but I gotta think that competition is a bigger threat than the economy.  Used to be Norman Love was one of the few people airbrushing his chocolates.  Now everybody does it.

The general techniques are getting more known and now we have 2 great books in English (Greweling and Shotts), one of which costs only $20 or so.  As people know the techniques, they are going to open up shops.

Even I can do those basic techniques, and I work long hours in an engineering job.

To me, that effect is much greater than that of the economy.

I think competition isn't such a bad thing in this business. Right now a lot of people see my chocolates and think they're "too pretty to eat." They seem like some exotic strange creation. If they see chocolates like this more often, then I think they're more likely to buy mine. And with so many interesting flavor combinations there's something new to try with every producer.

I suppose, there's going to be a saturation point. But I think we're far from it.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40