• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

shrimp prices

My husband was down in south Louisiana last week working and brought back 4 lbs. of huge, head-on fresh shrimp. I couldn't believe the price. $4 a lb. We boiled them up that night and they were divine. He laughs at me becasue I say fresh head-on shrimp is " a whole 'nother kind of good." I love Louisiana shrimp. Nothing else like it.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

If you're craving shrimp, drive down LA 1 with an ice chest to Golden Meadow or Leeville.  Yesterday afternoon, I paid $4/lb for 10-15 shrimp, unloaded directly from the boat.  Hard to believe that I paid more a gallon for gas than I did a pound for gorgeous, fresh shrimp!

If you're in New Orleans, save the gas and pick up shrimp that big for $5/pound from the shrimp guy on Claiborne Avenue near the expressway. He shrimps at night, delivers to restaurants in the morning, and then sells the rest by the side of the road.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

By the gas stations and stuff?

Yep, just Uptown of the gas station with the El Chaparral Patio taco stand between the pumps. He's there most days.

PM me if you want his cell phone. You can call and check if he's there (he gives it out, but I'm reluctant to post it online).

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

If you're craving shrimp, drive down LA 1 with an ice chest to Golden Meadow or Leeville.  Yesterday afternoon, I paid $4/lb for 10-15 shrimp, unloaded directly from the boat.  Hard to believe that I paid more a gallon for gas than I did a pound for gorgeous, fresh shrimp!

wow dat's a long way ta drive for dem shrimps. they speak english down there? I'd be tempted to just go find somewhere to eat and a bed to pass out in afterwards.

Cutoff which in on the way to Leeville, is where my best friend's family is from. He just went back to bury a great uncle last month. I'm going to grief him on not driving 10 more miles with a 50 gallon ice box.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Fortunately, they still speak quite a bit of French in those parts, though a little less with each passing year. I grew up in Larose--it's really not that far--less miles than a drive to Baton Rouge from New Orleans. And, at the rate the coast is eroding, we need to enjoy our coastline every chance we get. If you haven't seen the area around Port Fourchon, it's also worth a visit. It's an incredibly important link in our petroleum infrastructure, located in an environmentally sensitive spot.

Back to the food: the Leeville Restaurant has tasty food and impeccably fresh seafood. The newish Oceana Grill in Golden Meadow (run by some cooks from the dearly departed Randolph's) is also pretty good.