• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pac Choi

hazardnc

We have been getting a large bok choi in our CSA box every week and I need some inspiration for new ways to prepare it. 

Recipes anyone?

Steamed and drizzled with oyster sauce was always one of my favorites. It's good in soups, stirfries, you can use it in gyoza chopped fine, boiled, pickled if you have a lot. Hrm.. let me think more. YOu may want to try the china threads or the thai one or the Japanese one. I think they would have a bit more info. Keep in mind a lot of the recipes can be adapted to use bok choy. Happy experimenting! :smile:

We've been having ours cold with a rice vinegar dressing lately! Steam/boil as usual till cooked but a bit crispy. You can shock in ice water, but I'm too lazy so I undercook a tiny bit and let it cool on the counter. Drizzle with a mix of rice vinegar, soy (I used Japanese), smashed garlic clove, ginger, sesame oil, a bit of sugar. Sort of like ohitashi - Japanese spinach salad.

We've been having ours cold with a rice vinegar dressing lately!  Sort of like ohitashi - Japanese spinach salad.

The ohitashi method is one of my favorites as well, especially in the summer heat. It's actually a technique and not specific to spinach, so I use it for any type of greens just as you are doing.

One of my favorite simple dressings is smashed garlic and about equal parts sesame oil and soy sauce.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

We have it our garden, I've been tossing it with oil and salt and grilling with the stems over the coals and the greens over the "cool" part of the grill. Turn once after 30-40 seconds. It was my wifes idea, I was skeptical, but it's great if you are already grilling.