• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hand-Operated Citrus Juicers

potsticker

When I went to see my gran-pappy a few weeks back in smoldering Texas, I found out that he had one of these:

citrus juicer

In fact, he says he's had it for many years and just never busted it out. So, as a treat, he went out and bought a huge bag of oranges - which I can only rate as mediocre - and pressed the whole bag into fresh juice.

Now, I don't know if it was because it was so ridiculously hot that the orange juice tasted extra delicious and refreshing or the fact that it's been a while since I've had real good fresh squeezed orange juice, but I was convinced that this little machine produced some of the best tasting juice I've ever had. It was light, fruity, and contained just enough pulp - whole pulp, not pulp bits - for a great mouthfeel.

I'd like to think that it's because there's no violent shaking of the fruit's innards by some motorized mechanism to somehow disrupt the essence of deliciousness trapped in the fruit. I've juiced oranges on some of those plug-in motorized citrus juicers and it definitely was not the same. It was never so crisp and light as that glass I had from this contraption.

Anyone have any experience with these elbow-grease powered citrus juicers? I'm really tempted to splurge and get one. Besides, they would look so cool just sitting on a kitchen counter. I like to pretend I actually have counter space to put stuff like this.

I have one of these, too, but I find that I end up with more bitter oil in my juice than I do using a regular reamer-style juicer. It's a shame, because these are fun to use and fast. :sad:

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I have one of these, too, but I find that I end up with more bitter oil in my juice than I do using a regular reamer-style juicer. It's a shame, because these are fun to use and fast. :sad:

It is true that, because this style press turns the citrus fruit inside out, you do get quite a bit of oil expressed along with the juice. Whether that's good or bad probably depends on what you're using the juice for; I like it in cocktails, but if I wanted juice to drink plain, I might not feel the same way.

In any case, if you're contemplating the purchase of this style juicer, go for a stainless steel version -- much more durable than the enamel coated aluminum ones.

The first time I ever saw those one-handed squeezers was in a market in Mexico. They were bright durable plastic and on the small side--just perfect for those petite limes. I bought several and gave them as gifts. Twenty years later I still use mine for limeade or when I want a quick fix and have juicy fruit.

However, for getting your money's worth out of a lemon or a lime nothing works like an old-fashioned wooden reamer. The first time I used one I was amazed by how much juice I could wring out of even an overpriced under-ripe citrus fruit. Downside of course is messing with the seeds.

For orange juice I think those hand-powered juicers like grandpappy has are aesthetically pleasing and very efficient. I have the same feeling as Jaz about aluminum; stainess steel is probably sturdier. I don't have any aluminum cookware, but I've always thought that using high-acid foods with aluminum wasn't the best idea.

I bought a mid-size commercial orange-x lever-style juicer and never looked back.  Way better juice than you can get from a rotary juicer, and none of the durability and bitterness problems of hand-presses.

I actually was wondering if there was a significant difference between the lever style juicer and the rotary ones. I can use a big glass of juice right now.

In my opinion, yes. I think the rotary style ones produce a lot more pulp, and I don't think the flavor of the juice is as pure as a result. Besides, the large lever-style juicers are easier to use and clean.

--

• 3 months later...
In my opinion, yes.  I think the rotary style ones produce a lot more pulp, and I don't think the flavor of the juice is as pure as a result.  Besides, the large lever-style juicers are easier to use and clean.

I've been using the Orange-X for a number of years - maybe 10? In fact, I have two of them. The best damned citrus juicer I've ever used. I tried several, including the Metrokane, a Williams-Sonoma model, plus electric juicers. If you can get one of the Orange-X models you'll be in juice for the rest of your life. Built like a tank, simple, strong, well-designed, and produces great tasting juice.

... Shel

• 2 years later...
In my opinion, yes.  I think the rotary style ones produce a lot more pulp, and I don't think the flavor of the juice is as pure as a result.  Besides, the large lever-style juicers are easier to use and clean.

I've been using the Orange-X for a number of years - maybe 10? In fact, I have two of them. The best damned citrus juicer I've ever used. I tried several, including the Metrokane, a Williams-Sonoma model, plus electric juicers. If you can get one of the Orange-X models you'll be in juice for the rest of your life. Built like a tank, simple, strong, well-designed, and produces great tasting juice.

But where do you put this monster? I have a big kitchen but I already have enough appliances on the counter and this thing doesn't exactly fit into a cabinet as it is tall. My wife especially loves fresh OJ, buying giant bags of oranges every weekend, so I want to get her a nice juicer to replace the piece of junk she bought for $40, take 20 minutes of loud grinding to make a cup of OJ and has already half broke, but I can't get past the size of this thing. Are there other options?

I have electric rotary juicers and I like them. If I don't want so much pulp I can always strain the juice.

I've got a Breville juicer but I don't use it for citrus. Tried it, didn't like it.

Get one of the cheap Black and Decker juicers - they cost 15.00 and if it doesn't give you the product you want, you haven't spent a lot of money.

I have one that I use when I have a bunch of lemons or limes to juice.

The one I have for juicing oranges has a bigger reamer and was made by Proctor Silex about 20 years ago.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The kind of orange you use make a big difference in the taste of the juice. I have one of those big monster squeezers, a smaller one from the 1950's and used to have a Braun rotary juicer. They all make good juice but if you use navel oranges, I find the taste of them watery and the juice from Valencia oranges much much better. I find that I liked the Braun best. It was quick and easy and the juice was a little better than the big lever squeezer because it was possible to exert enough pressure from the big one to extract some of the oils from the skin. But the biggest difference maker is to use the right kind of orange and use it when it is in season.

PS edit. the Braun wore out and broke so I don't have it anymore and I moved to a smaller house and don't have counter space for the big juicer so now I use the smaller Juice-Matic? I think its called. The name is worn off from age and use.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Get one of the cheap Black and Decker juicers - they cost 15.00 and if it doesn't give you the product you want, you haven't spent a lot of money.

This is basically what we have today. it's garbage. Takes forever and is super loud. I'm looking for a better solution.

This is basically what we have today. it's garbage. Takes forever and is super loud. I'm looking for a better solution.

I also have a Tribest Citristar that works nicely with oranges and grapefruit. The reamer is a bit larger than the B&D. I've had it for a couple of years.

It's quieter but they all make some noise.

I had a Cuisinart, broke it. Bought a Delonghi, returned it because it was junk, then got the Tribest when I was buying some other things direct from the company (Soymilk maker and yogurt maker). (They now sell through Amazon too)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett