• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mosel Wineries

primowino

In a couple of weeks I will be holidaying on the Mosel, staying at Bernkastel. Does anyone have recommendations of which wineries to visit, especially within walking distance of Bernkastel !! For example do JJ Prum and /or Fritz Haag allow unannounced (or any) visitors. Recommendations for good restaurants will also be fully utilised. Thanks

The good thing about where you are staying is that there are many towns in the immediate area (Graach, Wehlen, Urzig, Zell, I could go on) that have multiple producers each. Part of your fun will be just popping in on some of them.

In Bernkastel, there is also a large tasting room that features dozens of producers from the area.

In my experience, most places do not require an appointment. But I did not get to JJ Prum. I would definitely visit Christoffel and Merkelbach in Urzig.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero