• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese sushi vs. Korean kimbap

Ce'nedra

I'm not questioning which is better, but where did they originate from and what's the difference between the two?

Did kimbap evolve from the Japanese introduction of sushi in Korea?

And just how popular is kimbap?

For some reason, sushi has been much better globalised.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

from wikipedia:

Gimbap is derived from the Japanese futomaki (lit. "large rolls") style maki-zushi sushi rolls[1] and became popular among Korean people in the modern era,but differs in the way the rice is seasoned and in the fillings. In sushi, relatively large amounts of sweetened rice vinegar is added to the rice and sesame oil is traditionally not used, as it is in gimbap. Korean gimbap generally does not contain raw fish and is prepared with sauteed beef, sausage, ham, fish cake, or crab stick. Unlike Japanese maki, gimbap is usually not served with wasabi soy sauce or sushi ginger, but is sometimes dipped in kimchi brine.

short version: Japan->Korea+sesame oil

kimbap and makizushi?

I asked Yoonhi where kimbap originated.

She said "my mom's kitchen".

Korea and Japan. While it's a straightforward idea, wrapping dried seaweed around rice, you only really see it in these two countries. The idea of seasoning the rice, could come from either location.

Historically, you have centuries of cultural exchange between the two, interspersed with high points of active aggression by the Japanese (the Wako pirates, the Imjin/Pottery War, and the Occupation). The Japanese invade, and bring elements of their culture with them, but they also bring back Korean slaves, who likewise bring their own tastes across the Straits.

Chicken and egg.

Both taste good, so it's not something to stay up late worrying about. :smile:

i think most people will agree that its a japanese thing that went to korea and koreans had their own take on it.

i dont know where wikipedia got it from but ive never heard of anyone dipping their kimbap in kimchi gukmul ("brine"). never seen it done. no dips, no soysauce. the fillings should be salty.

many koreans love spam in theirs (*waves hand*). my mom, whos been living in california too long, now never makes hers without avocado.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

And just how popular is kimbap?

Not popular enough, in my opinion. I wish I could get kimbap everywhere, not just at Korean markets.

OTOH, if kimbap ever hit the mainstream markets, they'd probably mess that up too.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Um.. where does the sesame oil go?

after i have finished assembling the rolls, i use sesame oil to brush the outside of the rolls. i usually do this with my bare hands.

then i use sesame oil to oil the knife when i am cutting the final rolls into slices. it helps from getting the knife all sticky from the rice.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That wiki is wrong in so many places, it's not funny.

I suspect Kimbab was brought from Japan, based on one of the key "traditional" ingredient being Japanese.

However, it is completely different to Sushi.

Traditional ingredients include:

- Spinach (pre-boiled and seasoned in sesame, salt and oil)

- Carrot (pre-boiled in soy sauce)

- Egg (fried flat)

- Fake crab meat (mat ssal)

- Takuhan [pronounced dakkang in korea] (they now call it dan mu ji, but we know it is a japanese pickle - takuhan).

Later adaptations have added:

- Ham, spam, bulgogi mince, boiled and seasoned octopus, or other such cooked meat.

- Cheese

- Kim chi

Unlike sushi, it does not include:

- Fresh fish

- Fresh veg (exception being cucumber IF used)

- Leafy veg (i.e. lettuce)

And no one "dips" it in kimchi soup.

We dip it in ramyun soup... especially cup ramyun.

I've noticed that gimbap is more substantial, with way more ingredients than most makizushi. The tastes are a lot bolder with the varied vegetables and sesame oil too. Also, as much as I like well-made sushi, at the lower end, supermarket gimbap is better than than supermarket sushi

Also, gimbab tends to be wider and sliced a lot thinner, which does make eating it neatly a bit challenging...

Edited by Hassouni (log)