• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese beef jerky

lemniscate

In my local Asian supermarket, at the bakery cases, there are packages of what is labeled Vietnamese beef jerky. They are rather large thin slices of beef coated with spices, mostly red chili flakes. I love beef jerky and at the next visit plan to pick some up, but after googling "vietnamese beef jerky" I'm a little confused. It looks like you are supposed to grill it to eat it. It's not sold in a refrigerated case nor vacuum pack, so I am assuming it's plenty dried out already. Does it have to be grilled? Or can you eat it out of hand like domestic beef jerky?

....i really can't believe i am confused by beef jerky :huh:

This was one of my favourite bar snacks in Hanoi! It's delicious! But I never saw anyone cook it, we just ate it directly out of the package, with - and this is key- several squeezes of fresh lime juice over it. Taste magic!

It's possible you're seeing a different kind of jerky than the one I ate, though. The beef jerkey you can buy in Hanoi is thinly shredded into strings - not big solid pieces. If you're seeing big pieces, you may need to heat it briefly to soften and shred it. I've seen lots of places do this to squid jerky.

If you buy some next time, post a picture of it.

if you like beef jerky then i think you'll like this Vietnamese version. according to me it's the best beef jerky, really! i even have it flown in from YVR [Vancouver] from time to time :rolleyes: the seasoning/spices contains turmeric and yes chilli flakes. i think i also detect lemongrass but i could be wrong. just eat it straight out of the package, best wash down with a cold beer.

a word of warning though... it's quite addictive so don't leave the package open too long within reach or you'll eat it all in one go! :biggrin:

In my local Asian supermarket, at the bakery cases, there are packages of what is labeled Vietnamese beef jerky.  They are rather large thin slices of beef coated with spices, mostly red chili flakes.  I love beef jerky and at the next visit plan to pick some up, but after googling "vietnamese beef jerky" I'm a little confused.  It looks like you are supposed to grill it to eat it.  It's not sold in a refrigerated case nor vacuum pack, so I am assuming it's plenty dried out already.  Does it have to be grilled? Or can you eat it out of hand like domestic beef jerky? 

....i really can't believe i am confused by beef jerky  :huh:

Where do you order it in Vancouver? I want some!!!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

[in YVR] try Vietnamese snack shops, for example "Ba Le" in chinatown. there must be other such shops around town and in greater YVR. and while you're there also pick up their banh mi, cold cuts, butter, and pâté. omg the pâté! miam miam...

[once i flew back from YVR with a Coleman cool box full of ice and... the last 3 delicious things mentioned above! those days are truly gone and they're never coming back...]

Is it similar to Taiwanese jerky? There's a place in the Aberdeen Centre in Richmond (suburb of Vancouver where the airport is located) that makes this treat. It's made fresh in sheets and sold by weight in a variety of flavors. I always buy it when I'm there because it's addictive. Have to try the Vietnamese version. . .

Paul B

I phrased that wrong....let's try again...

I will NOT be in Vancouver....I want to know where to order it (via web, phone, etc.....to be shipped to me!)???

Thanks!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I will NOT be in Vancouver....I want to know where to order it (via web, phone, etc.....to be shipped to me!)???

Thanks!

You won't be able to get meat shipped to the US from Canada. You're better off looking for it in your area.

From the US Boarder Patrol:

The regulations governing meat and meat products are very strict. You may not import fresh, dried, or canned meats or meat products from most foreign countries into the United States. Also, you may not import food products that have been prepared with meat.

I know for certain beef from Canada is prohibited. Not so sure about pork or chicken.

• 3 weeks later...

I *finally* got around to getting the jerky. Wow, :wub: very tasty, sweet, salty and a little spicy. I really like the sesame seeds on it. But very, very, sticky. Not something you can eat while driving nor posting on eGullet, lest you have keyboard and mouse cleaner handy. A wet papertowel is needed to enjoy this stuff. Trick, the cat, did not get to sample it but was very interested in the ingredients listed on the bag. This jerky was made in California. This is the original flavor, there is a bbQ and a curry flavor that I will be trying next.

gallery_47227_3319_170493.jpg

Speaking of jerky.... I've been meaning to try making some but need a jumping off point.

(Sorry I know this is in the wrong spot but I tried a search and couldn't find anything.)

I know you marinate and/or dry rub it then dehydrate, but any idea what'll be the best cut of meat to use?

Speaking of jerky.... I've been meaning to try making some but need a jumping off point.

(Sorry I know this is in the wrong spot but I tried a search and couldn't find anything.)

I know you marinate and/or dry rub it then dehydrate, but any idea what'll be the best cut of meat to use?

Thai beef and probably Vietnamese beef isn't the best thing on earth. Last I knew Thailand imported beef from Australia and it was tasty. The home grown version not so much. Our cook used to a variation of this jerky except she deep fried it. I believe you use just regular round steak? Cut into LONG strips thinly. Maybe pound out a little. Marinate it and then let it dry in the sun if possible. If not then dehydrater. Fry and serve. Yum. The sticky version I believe is stir fried in honey and other sugary stuff with fish sauce and soy. Um.. some else take over cause I only remember the deep fried stuff. Talk about drool! Great with beer!

http://www.htyusa.com/shop.php?bgcol=EF6510

Saveur seems to like their brand. It's been a while since I've had it.

Thanks!

Regarding cut,

sirloin or bottom round, according to this recipe:

http://www.dvo.com/recipe_pages/grilln/Vie...hit_Bo_Kho.html

now that i see the photo of the stuff [by original poster] i realise we're talking about 2 completely different kinds of VN beef jerky here. this one is good but the best has got to be the 'other'. i think all VN delis called 'Ba Le' sell it, at least in YVR anyway. it's never in a vacuum seal packaging, the meat comes in thick loose sheets, a little yellow [from turmeric] and visible chili flakes. delicioussssss! :) [i do have a photo of it somewhere on my cds. somewhere hard to find.]

----------

ps: i just remember... in VN i rather like to eat this same jerky in cubes, instead of thick sheets. the cubes are so hard i call them jaw breakers. never saw the cube type until i went to VN.

Edited by BonVivantNL (log)