• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stephane Glacier's Macaroon Swoon

Has anyone seen or bought Stephane Glacier's new book on macaroons? The ingredients page says: "Powdered sugar, also called granulated sugar", otherwise it looks OK. Way too big, though. It has 3 or 4 non-Parisian macaroon recipes. I was hoping for more. Anyone bake from it?

I've got the book. Some dodgy translations but all up I like it. Its a coffee table book (which is why its so big) and thats just where mine is sitting. I've used Stephane Glacier's underlying recipe before, although not specifically from this book, with success.

All that said, if you enjoy making macaroons this is an expensive book that might not add a lot to your knowledge. If you're looking to learn how to make macaroons, this has some good information and interesting recipes but macaroons being macaroons, you'll be better off if you can have someone instruct you (its hard to learn how to know the batter is just right from a book).

If, however, you're looking for a great coffee table book (great full page photos) that you can flick through for inspiration every now and then and macaroons are a real passion of your, then you'll probably enjoy the book (I do).

I haven't seen this book in English yet, but I think it must be the one that came out in two sizes in French. One *enormous* format and one much smaller, but content was identical (or close to identical). The problem with these books is that they are rarely given the scope to explain process properly and troubleshoot and that was part of the reason I tried to cover more detail on my website. (The link to my site is in my signature.) There are lots of parameters and I'm still discovering some as I have started testing different ovens and other aspects of these little divas (macarons:P).

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't seen this book in English yet

You can get the english version at Savour Chocolate & Patisserie School (which also runs a one-day Macaron course incidentally, which I have done and enjoyed immensely)