• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[ATL] Where to find it

How's their bitters selection?

truth be told I was so over-whelmed w/ the liquor/wine selection I failed to check out the bitters (which is surprising b/c that is usually on my list). I will be by there this week or next so will report.

speaking of which has any one seen Regan's bitters locally or is it still just mail order in Georgia?

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 1 month later...
How's their bitters selection?

sorry it took so long....

slim, and or, none.....they have a couple of bottles of Angostura behind the counter but that is it. Truth be told I had to walk back in to the store and look--I made a mental note to check bitters but was in the parking lot before it dawned on me--b/c I was again so over-whelmed at the inventory of liquor and wine in the place.

the best cat ever.

• 9 months later...

Kroger (at least the ones near me in Gwinnett county) has Morton's Kosher Salt (blue box) on sale @$1.00/box which is less than half the regular price of $2.29 and even less than their store brand, $1.59. I do not know how long the sale will be going on (I imagine through tomorrow). I bought out the stock at the store on Steve Reynolds so you might try another store.

the best cat ever.

• 2 years later...

Not to minimize the difficulties of dealing with the Ontario LCBO and the logistics of small towns, while I can get everything on your list in Atlanta (we live in a close-in suburb), I'm not sure it would be a casual trip. It would, at a minimum, require visits to two stores and expended time of two hours.

Dave, where have you seen Bols Genever and Laird's bonded? Haven't seen either of those at the stores I usually frequent in town. Boosma tends to be the only genever I recall seeing routinely. I have seen plenty of Applejack along with the 7.5 and 12 yo brandy but not the bonded.

Bols Genever I ordered on the internet but I would happily pick up a bottle of the Laird's bonded if it wasn't too far out of the way!

Rhum agricole and a nice mezcal can be had but the selection I have seen can be a bit limited here. But I tend to stick to just a few stores these days. I suppose more could be found if I shopped around a bit more.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Check out Toco Giant, in the huge strip mall at North Druid Hills and LaVista. First, they stock Laird's b-i-b (look on the bottom shelf against the wall opposite the cognacs); second, they have an excellent selection of bitters, as well as vermouths; third, decent mezcal and gin selection; fourth, they sometimes have Rittenhouse b-i-b, and always have Smith & Cross; fifth, I'll get to in a minute.

Also check out Tower on Piedmont. The Buford Highway location is okay, but in midtown they're more serious about spirits. Unfortunately, I haven't convinced them that there's a difference between the various Laird's bottlings, but they have just about everything else. Here's the "fifth" from above: if you can't find something at Tower and you really want it, tell the manager at Toco Giant. Usually he'll bring in a couple of bottles just for bragging rights.

Finally, if you're serious about cocktails, get to the new-ish H&F Bottle Shop in Peachtree Battle. I haven't been there since they got their spirits license, but it's bound to be fun shopping.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Finally, if you're serious about cocktails, get to the new-ish H&F Bottle Shop in Peachtree Battle. I haven't been there since they got their spirits license, but it's bound to be fun shopping.

I certainly second that! I have been to the H&F Bottle Shop several times since the spirits license was obtained. They have a small but growing and somewhat eclectic, in a good way, collection of spirits.

They were the first I know of to have the new Kronan Swedish Punsch. They have a growing bitters selection and noted they are the only shop that they are aware of with Boker's bitters. Some of my recent purchases there have been Rittenhouse BiB and the older bottling of Lemon Hart 151 rum. The staff when I have been there have always been both knowledgeable and friendly.

I have since seen Lemon Hart in at least one other store, the Piedmont Tower mentioned above, which I also think has an excellent selection of beer, wine and spirits and very helpful staff.

I learned on my last visit to H&F that they will be doing Cocktail classes over the next few months at Holeman & Finch Pub (The same group owns both along with Restaurant Eugene). A bit spendy at $100 a class but I hope to attend one to check it out for myself and decide. And you apparently get to drink what you make! The first is on Saturday, January 28th but I am not able to go. Hopefully next month.

They also have a number of wines and a limited but interesting selection of beer at H&F.

For a broader selection of beer, including growlers if one is into that sort of thing, one can try Hop City near downtown Atlanta (the website is not so helpful, it has been "under construction" for as long as I have been aware of it...) or Ale Yeah! in Decatur. Not quite as big as Hop City but still a good selection and a little more convenient if you are in or near the Decatur area.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2