• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BonBon Plastic Packaging

prairiegirl

What is the best way to protect a box of Bonbons? I am researching and trying decide what I should use to cover my chocolates when they are boxed and sitting on the shelf waiting for a buyer. Can a heat seal for thin plastic be used or will it melt the chocolates, or a vacuum sealer? Who uses what? Thanks for your help.

Deb.

I have a box that I designed for similar reasons: It is a matchbox style, but there is a window covering the cover of the matchbox so you can lift up the lid, see but not poke or sneeze on the chocolates. To get one out you need to slide the matchbox open. Perhaps you can examine the picture and see it - when looking the window with the acetate (?) stays on the left, while the chocolates in the box part move to the right :wacko:

gallery_53591_4944_55091.jpg

I know what you are after, but I'm not sure if the heat required to shrink and seal the plastic is sufficient to melt the chocolate. See if you can find a company that heat seals a product in your area and take a couple of boxes to them and do some experiments.

I'm looking at shrink wrappers right now -- not for chocolates, but for other food items and when I was at the store the other day, the salesperson told me that they have customers who use the heat guns to shrink the wrapping over chocolate boxes and the chocolates are fine.

I'm looking at shrink wrappers right now -- not for chocolates, but for other food items and when I was at the store the other day, the salesperson told me that they have customers who use the heat guns to shrink the wrapping over chocolate boxes and the chocolates are fine.

Thanks. I will give it a try. I probably need a specific type plastic.

The plastic has to be perforated to work with the heat gun and they have food-grade plastic. The nice salesperson at PAL Distributors explained this to me, but all I remember is that it needs the holes or it burns. I don't know if you need the food-safe plastic if you're going to be covering a box (vs. using the plastic right on the food).

The plastic has to be perforated to work with the heat gun and they have food-grade plastic.  The nice salesperson at PAL Distributors explained this to me, but all I remember is that it needs the wholes or it burns.  I don't know if you need the food-safe plastic if you're going to be covering a box (vs. using the plastic right on the food).

Thanks Pam for the tip about PAL. They have an office here in Calgary...so I'm going to stop by there later this morning.

I went to PAL distributors and they showed me some of their product. What they recommended was the 300LP LBAR impulse. This unit costs $475 and the food grade roll of film is $100. It is about 2000 feet so it will go a long way. I am going to buy this model because I can also shrink wrap or package some of my solid items.

Edited by prairiegirl (log)

I went to PAL distributors and they showed me some of their product. What they recommended was the 300LP LBAR impulse.  This unit costs $475 and the food grade roll of film is $100.  It is about 2000 feet so it will go a long way.  I am going to buy this model because I can also shrink wrap or package some of my solid items.

When you say you can shrink wrap solid items, do you mean chocolate items? Pictures please!

I went to PAL distributors and they showed me some of their product. What they recommended was the 300LP LBAR impulse.  This unit costs $475 and the food grade roll of film is $100.  It is about 2000 feet so it will go a long way.  I am going to buy this model because I can also shrink wrap or package some of my solid items.

When you say you can shrink wrap solid items, do you mean chocolate items? Pictures please!

The machine won't act as a vacuum sealer but I think that I could suck some air out using a shop vac.(hygeine is of upmost importance) I am thinking about moulding some solid items such as a jkv-nl airplane. It is a 2 piece mould and for packaging the plastic wrap would protect the chocolate from open air and still be able to be seen. I will be muolding some planes within the next few weeks and when I get the unit then I will post a demo. I am hoping to get some business from a major airline.

Will the heat gun melt the chocolate if it's not protected by a box? They use this to do things like pizzas, where the plastic is in direct contact with the food, but of course, a pizza isn't as heat sensitive as chocolate. .

Edited by Pam R (log)

Will the heat gun melt the chocolate if it's not protected by a box?  They use this to do things like pizzas, where the plastic is in direct contact with the food, but of course, a pizza isn't as heat sensitive as chocolate. .

Good question. The heat can be used to shrink wrap the box. I don't have to be so particular to have a tightly wrapped product. A quick go over with the box coming out of the fridge (so it is chilled)...might work okay. I will know more when I have the unit and can play with it.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a box that I designed for similar reasons: It is a matchbox style, but there is a window covering the cover of the matchbox so you can lift up the lid, see but not poke or sneeze on the chocolates. To get one out you need to slide the matchbox open. Perhaps you can examine the picture and see it - when looking the window with the acetate (?) stays on the left, while the chocolates in the box part move to the right :wacko:

Hi Lior,

where did you buy your packaging? Thanks

Edited by Spring (log)

Good question.  The heat can be used to shrink wrap the box.  I don't have to be so particular to have a tightly wrapped product.  A quick go over with the box coming out of the fridge (so it is chilled)...might work okay.  I will know more when I have the unit and can play with it.

Just noticed this..... if your chocolates have a moist centre and you shrink wrap them when they're chilled, condensation will form on the chocolates, or rather between the chocolates and the plastic. Just FYI.

Edited by Sugarella (log)

Hi Lior,

where did you buy your packaging? Thanks

Not Lior, but I know that those are custom made for her, I have asked as well, because they are very nice, good job :smile:

Vanessa

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked at loads of sites and hundreds of boxes but havnt found what Im looking for, maybe someone here could help.

A simple cardboard box with a window in the lid. This I beleive is the best type for what I want. The cardboard gives structure and protection to the chocolates/bonbons and they can be seen through the clear window. Id be so grateful if anyone could suggest to me where I can get such (apparantly exotic) packaging.

I have looked at loads of sites and hundreds of boxes but havnt found what Im looking for, maybe someone here could help.

A simple cardboard box with a window in the lid. This I beleive is the best type for what I want. The cardboard gives structure and protection to the chocolates/bonbons and they can be seen through the clear window. Id be so grateful if anyone could suggest to me where I can get such (apparantly exotic) packaging.

Try looking at the Kroese website - they have something in the line of what you are looking for for - yopu may have to register

Good luck!

Unless you're looking for something more specific than what you've described, I'm really surprised you're having trouble. Here are just a few that fit the bill you're describing, and if you look around on those sites you'll find more to choose from.

http://www.masonbox.com/browse.cfm?line=99

http://www.shopmodpac.com/Product/Boxes/Tw...lar_covers.html

http://www.glerup.com/cart/detail.cfm?id=1...temNumber=M1846

http://www.nashvillewraps.com/ShowSku.ww?Class=048&Type=744

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I use boxes from Mod -Pak. I use these for all my 8oz and 16oz chocolates. With a gold or dark red bow they are great. Here in the states we can call for samples of any of the boxes. Here's the phone number 1-800-666-3722, fax 1-800-873-1269

I find their boxes are well made and assemble easily. Call and see if they will send you a catalog and possible some samples.

This is the 16 oz. I use

White, Square window

w/Metallic Gold Border

Cover

1469CWRWHBGD

For cherries I use this deep base and their gold insert tray that has 18 cavities.

White

Deep Base 16 oz.

5 9/16” x 5 9/16” x 1 5/8”

1369B

Pat