• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Remparts in Venasque

Abra

We just spent a week driving throught the Drôme Provencal and upper Provence, staying at little places that offered dinner. While Venasque isn't a destination in itself, being an extremely tiny town, it's in a lovely perched setting and makes a nice stopover for the night. Plus, a room for 2 at Les Remparts was only 59 Euros, which included breakfast, making it a real bargain in a part of France where bargains are rare.

Les Remparts has only 8 rooms, charmingly simple. It's the restaurant with it's beautiful view and its sweet terrace that were really the draw for us, and the food was very good and reasonably priced. From a menu at, I think, 29 Euros I had a puff pastry with assorted tiny shellfish, duck in red wine sauce, an enormous cheese plateau with a huge variety of goat cheeses (be sure to get this if you eat there) and a nougat glacé for dessert. It's cheerful and very well executed home-style cooking with friendly, helpful service.

We just spent a week driving throught the Drôme Provencal and upper Provence, staying at little places that offered dinner.  While Venasque isn't a destination in itself, being an extremely tiny town, it's in a lovely perched setting and makes a nice stopover for the night.  Plus, a room for 2 at Les Remparts was only 59 Euros, which included breakfast, making it a real bargain in a part of France where bargains are rare.

Les Remparts has only 8 rooms, charmingly simple.  It's the restaurant with it's beautiful view and its sweet terrace that were really the draw for us, and the food was very good and reasonably priced.  From a menu at, I think, 29 Euros I had a puff pastry with assorted tiny shellfish, duck in red wine sauce, an enormous cheese plateau with a huge variety of goat cheeses (be sure to get this if you eat there) and a nougat glacé for dessert.  It's cheerful and very well executed home-style cooking with friendly, helpful service.

Put you on the map - Again!

Keep them coming.