• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Five Guys Falling on Hard Times?

Vicious Wadd

• 3 weeks later...

I've had five guys several times (Anderson, SC for reference) and each time has been very good. Never saw a gray burger in the lot, and the fries are fresh and good.

Like any chain it probably has it's bad apples though.

My only gripe is, yes, the price. They are a good burger but for what they are? "upscale fast food"? To expensive.

it surprises me that there is so much negativity about five guys - i've eaten at several locations in philly, in manhattan, and st. pete florida and have to say I haven't been dissapointed once. And i love the fries and the fact that they have malt vinegar available to dip them into! As for grey patties - to be honest i don't generally let it sit around enough to really get a good look at the color but i don't think they sit on the grill long enough to brown all that much. and in any case, i'd much rather get a burger there than mcd's, wendy's and etc. i feel a lot more comofrtable about the quality of their ingredients than the usual fast food joints.

the Dallas Five Guys recently opened. (it's in the Galleria mall in far north Dallas). I was there (in the mall) this afternoon, and this is the first time I noticed it being open. Mall wasn't very crowded, so there were only a few people in the Five Guys. I woke up late this morning, resulting in a late breakfast, so I wasn't really hungry for a burger and fries at that time. I'll have to go back in the future date to try it out.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I work near, and have only eaten at, what I believe to be the original Five Guys located in Arlington, Virginia.
I believe the original is on Beauregard Street near Rt 7 in Alexandria (or it's the second one opened). We need one of the brothers to settle this. (and for the record, I've never seen ANY burger at 5-Guys be anything other than freshly cooked when ordered).

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

• 1 month later...

... but I have yet to find an outstanding burger in OC...

I seem to recall Craig LeBan of the Philadelphia Inquirer rating an Ocean City burger as one of his top ten last year.Stay right there while I fire up Google. ;)

Yep.

Brown's Restaurant

The Beach Grill Dream

The bacon mushroom cheeseburger at this venerable boardwalk doughnut shop and grill is my simplistic ideal in classic burger perfection, framed by paper plate. It could be the pure freshness and deft handling of the modest hand-formed sirloin patties, ground every day at Boyar's Market nearby. Or it could be the sea air and salty surf that stoke an insatiable burger appetite. I'm normally not a well-done kind of guy, but I typically need two of these before a Shore day can go on.

$4.25, at 110 Boardwalk, Ocean City, 609-391-0677.

Here is the rest of the list if interested.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment...te_Burgers.html

... but I have yet to find an outstanding burger in OC...

I seem to recall Craig LeBan of the Philadelphia Inquirer rating an Ocean City burger as one of his top ten last year.Stay right there while I fire up Google. ;)

Yep.

Brown's Restaurant

The Beach Grill Dream

The bacon mushroom cheeseburger at this venerable boardwalk doughnut shop and grill is my simplistic ideal in classic burger perfection, framed by paper plate. It could be the pure freshness and deft handling of the modest hand-formed sirloin patties, ground every day at Boyar's Market nearby. Or it could be the sea air and salty surf that stoke an insatiable burger appetite. I'm normally not a well-done kind of guy, but I typically need two of these before a Shore day can go on.

$4.25, at 110 Boardwalk, Ocean City, 609-391-0677.

Here is the rest of the list if interested.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment...te_Burgers.html

I just saw this post this morning. I don't think the hourglass of my pointer had stopped turning before I was on the phone to see if Brown's was open for lunch today. (many places in Ocean City are open only on weekends, or closed all together at this time of year)

They were open, and my wife and I were off to the boards for burgers. We ordered a cheeseburger and iced tea each, with one order of fries. The waitess soon returned and told us the delivery of beef from Boyar's market was late, but should arrive momentarily. We decided to wait. Less the 5 minutes later the delivery arrived.

The burgers were certainly fresh, and they were juicy, with a good flavor, but we found them rather small. Maybe that's why Craig LeBon says he needs two. I don't think I could use the word "perfection" in their desription. Although they were good, we both decided we would prefer 5 Guys.

The check came to $20.06 ($5.50 each for the burgers) which I found a little steep for food served on paper plates and paper cups, but then you have to take into account that we were on the boards with an ocean view, and a sea breeze coming in the window.

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages