• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name that Israeli dessert

Hi all,

One of my Israeli friends on facebook joined a group dedicated to this dessert. I can't read Hebrew so I don't know what it is but it looks divine. Any clues, recipes?

קרמבו - This is the name in Hebrew, hope it shows up OK. Thanks!

It's Krembo. A soft marshmallow sitting on a biscuit, covered in chocolate.

There are also knock-offs like Mambo. I believe they stop making them during the summer because it gets too hot to make/ship them.

eta: I don't think people actually bake these, but I could be wrong.

I don't know. :blink: I'm in Canada and I've had Krembos but not Whippets and I'm not sure about Viva Puffs. Are Viva Puffs the ones that have some jelly in between the marshmallows and cookies?

Here is a video on Krembo . Sorry it is in Hebrew but pictures speak for themselves! At first the reporter asks people whether they prefer to eat the krembo from the top or bottom or side. According to a survey 69% like to eat it from the top and 10% from the bottom- the biscuit. The rest don't care. The last lady interviewed prefer to spread it and says not to ask her where (?!). Then some background info is given. The Krembo was born in Denmark 200 years ago and became a national favorite here in the 60's. Its season is Oct to Feb. And it can only be wrapped by human hands or it gets squashed. The ladies wrap about 30 in a minute and rarely squash any. They eat them from the top. The process is melting sugar in one vat and albumin from egg whites in another and then they are mixed in a 3rd where air pressure causes it to be foamy. The rest speaks for itself! Enjoy! Most popular is vanilla but they come in mocha and I think if I remember in chocolate.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a very good recipe for this dessert (the Danish variant, not sure if Krembo is different). It's a bit like a boiled meringue, but made with egg white powder so it's thicker and has less air.

But since I don't have access to eggwhite poweder on a regular basis, I make it by baking italian meringue on thin wafers for a short time at a low temp to dry it out a bit.

Edited by Sif (log)

Kremba is not really similar to a mallomar (IMO). The marshmallow in the kremba is really much softer. So is the chocolate, for that matter. It's thinner. Mallomar is a cookie, I don't think I'd ever describe kremba as a cookie. They're sort of "theoretically" similar, but in reality one is nothing like the other.

Ilana, those cases for the kremba are a riot. I especially like the "gold plated for the neuvo-riche." :smile:

The mallomars look fascinating! I make a S'more and now I will think about trying the mallomar shape- it is cute. Thanks for the link!! Thereis a soft biscuit/cookie in teh Krembo bottom- look a the video again and you will see it in the process. Parallel to this thread, someone in our local thread just published a recipe - how odd! I will translate it and publish it.

I also thought the boxes were a riot!! It was discussed how a kid would feel ifhis mom sent him one for a treat with his lunchbox! Wonderful? Special? Embarrassed? :raz:

Be back later with the recipe!

Moran's Krembo recipe – not exactly the traditional cookie base

Krembo

For the cookie base:

70 g dark chocolate callets

90 g butter

120 g of hazelnut praline or halvah

100 g rice krispies

For the creamy marshmallow part:

5 smaller or 4 bigger egg whites

1/2 cup sugar

1.7 g gelatin powder + 1 Tbl water

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Coating:

100 g cocoa butter

400 g dark chocolate

Method:

For the cookie base:

Melt the chocolate and the butter together, mix and then add the praline and then the krispies. Be careful not to smash them! Roll out to about 1/2 cm on a tray, and refrigerate. When cold use a 6cm ring cutter to cut out circles.

For the creamy marshmallow part:

Warm the egg whites and sugar in Bain Marie until thesugar melts. 60C probably should not be passed. Pour into mixer and whip to a foam that is almost stable and shiny. Melt the gelatin in the water- it can be hot but not too hot and add while whipping, also add the vanilla. Put all into a piping bag and pipe onto the cookie bases. It is nice to leave a "choop-chick" that pointy part – like in the picture of the mallomar! Put in freezer until next stage is complete.

Coating:

Melt the cocoa butter to a liquid until all lumps are gone. Pour onto chocolate pieces/callets and mix till smooth. Dip the Krembos upside down and put onto a sheet or cooling rack.

Keep in fridge for 24 hours and then they are ready. It is supposed to be heaven!

Next I will write up a more standard recipe.

Wikipedia has an entry on

this type of cookie/confection

Apparently there are similar types of confections all over the world.

I am reminded of the extensive discussion on Moon Pies a couple of years ago.

Although they are shaped differently and the proportions of cookie to filling is dissimilar, they are essentially the same type of food.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wikipedia has an entry on

this type of cookie/confection

What a great Wiki entry. Thanks!

I'm wondering how hard it is to get some of these things in the US. My husband is allergic to corn (among a million other things) and, therefore, cannot eat Mallomars anymore. I tried making them a couple of times, and while he enjoyed them, they weren't perfect.

Apologies first for not seeing this thread earlier. Apologies second for shattering a few myths........

1. The Israeli Krembo was indeed a rip-off of the American Malomar cookie. Unlike Malomars, however, that are supposed to appeal to adults and children alie, the Krembo was originally targeted at the 3-9 year old crowd When first released even Strauss (a mega-food producer by Israeli standards) was astonished to realize that anyone over the mental age of 5 could enjoy them.

2. Indeed the mashmallow (and not meringue!) filling of the Krembo is far softer (one might say "more mushy" ) than the filling of Malomars The cookie base is cheaper,the chocolate topping not as thick.

3. If there is a proof to Gael Greene's dictum to the effect that "in the heart of every gourmet lies the soul of a fast-food lover", that proof is the Krembo.

4. Most sophisticated or even quasi-sophisticated or even wanna-be sophisticates among Israelis will loudly proclaim that their love of the Krembo has nothing to do with fine eating but with nostalgia.

5. In my opinion there are three major ngredients in a Krembo: empty calories, empty calories and empty calories Beyond that all that is there is a bit of foamy air wrapped in a super-cheap foil. And, of course, oostalgia.

As to Malomars - not all that many years ago, after a zillion or so years away from life in the USA, I heard that malomars were stilll being produced. I sent an email to my brother (who lives in Masachusetts) and commented aout my childhood memories of those (puncture the malomar with a finger, dip in hot chocolate or coffee). My brother, a geerous soul, did not send me a single box of malomars...he sent me a case of 48 boxes.

Miracle of miracles, they survived trans-Atlantic shippnng and on the following day I brewed up some hot chocolate, sat down to feast on my malomars and realized...My God! I once liked this stuff?

No fear, I have two nieces. Those malomars made the best gift I had ever given them.

And do, please keep in mind the two great scenes from "Sally and Harry", the most otable of course that ends with the line "Ill have whatever it was that she was eating" and the other of Harry, in a depressed mood lying on his bed and poppng malomar after malomar into his mouth.

And yes, from time to time I'll pop a Krembo. Never, however, in pubic when one of my readers might see me. That might ruin my repuation!

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

Reflecting on the krembo and my comments above and realizing that at least several chefs (especially thinking of talented chef Eran Shroitman of Tel Aviv's Orca) have come up with very sophisticated variations on the theme of that famed fast-food snack to create rather enchanting desserts in their restaurants.

Those desserts are ordered primarily by the 25-35 year olds who attend fine restaurants. Their elders continue to go for less playful options.