• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English crumbly fudge

I feel like with my sister that we have been blanketing the internet with this question but we aren't making much progress! I don't know if anybody has ever had English crumbly fudge and it is sort of hard to describe. It is roughly like boiled frosting that cooked too long and set up but that doesn't really do it justice. I am wondering if anybody has ever made English fudge and if they have a recipe they would be willing to share :smile:

This is out of my late mother-in-law's recipe box. It was very good. She was born and bred in East Sussex.

1 lb sugar

1/4 pint water

1 tin condensed milk

2 oz butter

20 oz nuts

Place sugar and water in a pan and heat gently to dissolve. Add condensed milk and butter and bring to a boil, until it reaches the soft ball stage. Remove from heat and add nuts. Beat until mixture is creamy, then pour into a well greased tin and refridgerate until cold.

I don't do much candy making, so I've never actually made this myself. Good luck.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

A little research into English crumbly fudge makes it sound like it is a penuche made with white sugar rather than brown sugar.

Here is a recipe that looks like it is similar to the brown sugar penuche recipes I have but using white sugar. I'd take it off the heat and cool it to 110º F (43º C) before starting to beat to get the smallest crystals, giving the smoothest fudge.

1 can condensed milk

2 pounds sugar

1 tablespoon light corn syrup

3 tablespoons butter

½ pint milk

Put all ingredients in a big pot (larger than 3 quarts) and bring to boil. Boil to soft-ball stage, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until creamy. Pour into greased pan to set.

^ there's my family recipe. yum!

• 4 weeks later...