• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milkweed

Growing up, my family would occasionally vacation in northern Wisconsin. One of the most amazing things I've ever had we harvested ourselves there by the roadsides- milkweed.

We carefully boiled it in a couple waters, served it hot with butter, salt and pepper. Amazing stuff! I'm traveling back there in a few weeks and suspect that it's not the right time to pick it, but I have my fingers crossed.

However... I've been reading through the (very scarce) amount of web sites that mention it, and they mention eating the pods. That seems weird to me. What we ate were the unopened flower buds, just harvesting those. Never tried the pods myself.

Never got sick doing it, no bitterness whatsoever. But a really amazing vegetable.

You can pickle the pods when they are stilll very small (no more than an inch long).

The flowers are said to be delicious but I never tried.

I think it might be a bit late for the baby milkweeds. Did your familly cook the mature plant or just the young shoots?

This year, in Northern Wisconsin, I don't think you are going to have any trouble finding baby milkweeds (I'n in the southern part of zone 3, perhaps the nortern part of zone 4) and they are all over the place. But, I've merely used them to a place for the monachs to lay their eggs, and not thought about food uses.

Do talk Wernda, about more of the preparation (boiled for how long, to what tenderness)! I know from experience that they are finiky plantts, very selectively choosing where they will reside.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

This year, in Northern Wisconsin, I don't think you are going to have any trouble finding baby milkweeds (I'n in the southern part of zone 3, perhaps the nortern part of zone 4) and they are all over the place.  But, I've merely used them to a place for the monachs to lay their eggs, and not thought about food uses.

Do talk Wernda, about more of the preparation (boiled for how long, to what tenderness)!  I know from experience that they are finiky plantts, very selectively choosing where they will reside.

Monarchs! My ecologist friend up the street was promising to bring over milkweed (2 types- a white one that is North American and a pink I think she said was Brazilian) for the sake of attracting the butterflies. Then this topic pops up and I am thinking - cool- I can enjoy a new taste as well.

Well, I'm not there yet, but soon!

Usually we do it with salted water, and 2 changes of water. Ive been reading up on it a bit more and it sounds like there are different varieties of milkweed, and the stuff in WI tends not to even need 2 changes of water (no detectable bitterness) so I'm going to try that.

Served hot, melted butter, salt and pepper, how can it go wrong?

I do know I did not like the blossoms when we picked them a bit late, after they had started opening. Pinch the little flower buds, they should not open up and be full of petals, or at least not mature ones. Then nip them off (we dont gather the rest of the plant). You end up with a bag of brocolli-sized and vaguely shaped buds to cook with.

Well worth trying! Almost a week and I'll be up there and ready to try it once again :)