• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta- Pick One Restaurant for Me!

laurelm

My husband and I are leaving the Atlanta area, and want to know if you had one last meal there, where would you go?

I am overwhelmed by all the choices!

We are looking for a nicer place, not a "good eats" quickie thing.

I've heard great things about Bacchanalia, but I've never been there, so I can't give it a personal recommendation.

I love Restaurant Eugene, and would certainly consider it a finalist for a last meal.

I'd probably go with Bacchanalia (where I've eaten on numerous occasions) or the newer sister restaurant, Quinones (which I've yet to try). Not just very upmarket, but very local in terms of ingredients.

Restaurant Eugene also in the running. And don't discount The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead---very posh, and the food is great. The chef there at the moment is a bit quiet, so it's not so much on people's radar as it's been when some other chefs have run the show, but it it's still excellent. Also lots of local product featured.

Can you pee in the ocean?

A definite "yes" to Bacchanalia, where my husband and I had an incredible dinner for our 40th anniversary last winter ... we were entranced at their presentations, taste of the food, and ambiance ...

I also liked Restaurant Eugene as well but nowhere near Bacchanalia ... and we enjoyed the Ritz-Carleton very much on another anniversary .. very classy indeed!

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We've always said that if we leave this town, Bacchanalia will be the one place we have to go before we do...

Why wait until you leave?????

I don't think it is necessarily the best restaurant in Atlanta - but it is the one that - to me - most represents the birth of New Southern Cuisine in Atlanta. It is the restaurant I recommend to visitors who can have only one fine meal in Atlanta - and I would certainly recommend it for anyone who lives in the area - or is leaving Atlanta. Leave with memories of great southern food prepared with fresh local ingredients.

BTW - I would do Bacchanalia instead of Quinones because I like the room better - and the menu is more varied (there is - I believe - only a single fixed menu at Quinones). Haven't dined there for about a year - but unless someone who has dined there more recently says it has gone downhill - that would be my choice. Robyn

I,also, need one restaurant in Atlanta for a large group of 12 or more. What's the local opinion of Woodfire these days? It looks great from the website

Woodfire is excellent. It's chef-owned and operated (Michael Tuohy), so the quality and type of food have been very consistent over the years.

Can you pee in the ocean?

And don't discount The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead---very posh, and the food is great. The chef there at the moment is a bit quiet, so it's not so much on people's radar as it's been when some other chefs have run the show, but it it's still excellent. Also lots of local product featured.

Amen. I love the place.

Chicks dig wheelguns.

Big Bacch, for me. Restaurant Eugene is second. Nowhere else comes really that close in my opinion to those two. I don't fancy myself an expert by any means, but I have been to many, if not most, of the places generally regarded as top 25 restaurants in Atlanta. For service, innovation and quality, Bacchanalia and Restaurant Eugene are a clear cut above most places, with Bacchanalia getting an edge.

I adore Rathbun's - but I am also crazy for the staff there.

Restaurant Eugene is fantastic.

We are coming back to visit Atlanta after being gone for a year, and our choices are Rathbun's, Kevin Rathbun's Steaks and Holeman and Finch - owned by the folks at Restaurant Eugene.

And Woody's cheese steaks, of course!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

While Holeman & Finch is a great place, I don't think it fits the criteria laid out in the original post. It's loud and crowded -- a "public house," if you will.

To amplify on Janet's post, Holeman and Finch is a great place. The cocktails are impeccable and the food is terrific. But it's not the white tablecloth sort of establishment that laurelm seemed to be looking for. That said, if you go, go early. It gets crowded and really loud by 7:30.

I think all the appropriate candidates have been nominated and seconded: Eugene, Bacchanalia, Quinones, the Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead. You really can't go wrong with any of them. The only reason I'd opt for one of the first three over the last is their more pronounced dedication to local ingredients and traditions.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks for all your help!!

My husband and I went first to Krog Bar (owned by Rathbun) for some wine and two tapas.

Then we went to Restaurant Eugene, and it was absolutely delicious.

Our move date may be changed, so we may hit up one more place in Atlanta if we get a chance.

After that I will be in Hawaii forum asking for help!

Thank you!!