• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Escargot d'Or

Abra

Recently we had the nice experience of spending the night in Dieulefit. If you like the mountainous backcountry rustic part of France, you'll enjoy Dieulefit. We stayed at L'Auberge de L'Escargot D'Or, where a simple room with its own bath plus a very large good dinner and breakfast for two cost us 114 Euros on demi-pension.

Although the weather didn't permit us to use it, they also have a large swimming pool in a lovely parklike setting facing the mountains.

Recently we had the nice experience of spending the night in Dieulefit.  If you like the mountainous backcountry rustic part of France, you'll enjoy Dieulefit.  We stayed at L'Auberge de L'Escargot D'Or, where a simple room with its own bath plus a very large good dinner and breakfast for two cost us 114 Euros on demi-pension. 

Although the weather didn't permit us to use it, they also have a large swimming pool in a lovely parklike setting facing the mountains.

Abra; sounds nice and I've added it to the map.

Could you elaborate upon the dinner?

Thanks.

The dinner was a choice from their menu at, I think, 23 Euros, including several entrée, plat, and dessert choices. It's a changing, creative menu of Provencale dishes, including an escargot appetizer, and a great salad of the local picodon goat cheese, nothing haute, but all interesting and well executed. A pretty dining room, a gorgeous terrace for eating outside in good weather, and friendly service.

You can read more about Dieulefit and see some of my photos of it here.

The dinner was a choice from their menu at, I think, 23 Euros, including several entrée, plat, and dessert choices.  It's a changing, creative menu of Provencale dishes, including an escargot appetizer, and a great salad of the local picodon goat cheese, nothing haute, but all interesting and well executed.  A pretty dining room, a gorgeous terrace for eating outside in good weather, and friendly service.

Thanks. Sounds like a place worth a try.