• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Room Service in London

Staying overnight in London on Monday, but I know we'll be too tired to go out, so my plan is to book a room somewhere and just stay in and relax. But we need to eat and drink too, so although I know all room service seems to be a complete rip off, is there anywhere that has stood out for anyone?

We stayed at The Goring last time, and eat and drank all afternoon in the lounge, and the staff were fantastic, (as was my bill!! :biggrin: )but really I would like to try somewhere new.

So, any ideas, no real budget as its only the one night.

Thanks

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

I'm going back three years so maybe it has changed and improved but I would definitely advise against The Lanesborough. All the PR is about their wonderful butler service and how pampered all their guests are - maybe if they come in waving around £100 notes as tips or covered in bling or followed by a train of paparazzi. We were totally ignored even after calling down for information several times. And rip off doesn't even begin to cover the cost of a single glass of orange juice in the bar because our room wasn't ready on time (we were not early). Our kids booked what was supposed to be a very very special overnight stay and did not expect it to be memorable in the way it turned out to be. They even tried to give us a bill just minutes after my son had requested that it be given to him and not us.

A good tactic will be to select a hotel that has a "named" restaurant on the premises. Chances are you will be able to order from it on room service. I did this at the Crowne Plaza in St James and had curry from the Michelin starred Quilon - very tasty.