• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants: Lorenzo and Romano closed

fortedei

Lorenzo, in my town of Forte dei Marmi and Ristorante Romano in Viareggio, the two most famous fish restaurants in Versilia, have closed up shop.

The fisherman's strike continues and there is no fresh fish that is the quality they need. Rather than serving frozen fish or farm raised fish as most fish restaurants are doing, they closed rather than compromise their standards.

What fisherman strike? What's going on? Is it regional or countrywide?

A neighbor of mine made an odd comment at the market today, she declared that even though she wanted some fish, it was too early for fish (tropo presto). OK, some fish run seasonally, but tropo presto for all fish? I've been puzzling over that all afternoon. :unsure:

A neighbor of mine made an odd comment at the market today, she declared that even though she wanted some fish, it was too early for fish (tropo presto).  OK, some fish run seasonally, but tropo presto for all fish? I've been puzzling over that all afternoon.  :unsure:

There is a huge fisherman's strike going on in Italy over the cost of fuel. Fishermen want relief from the government. It's made the front page of La Republica and La Stampa. We saw it on Saturday coming back from Alba to Forte dei Marmi, when we stopped in Varazze, between Savona and Genova, to eat at a wonderful restaurant Antico Genovese. The owner apologized that he only had Cernia (which was delicious) and that was gotten from Nice.

The strike is at least in Tuscany and Liguria and from what the papers implied, at least all over the western coast of the country.

The strike is at least in Tuscany and Liguria and from what the papers implied, at least all over the western coast of the country.

Yes, my pals at the Testaccio market said it affected the whole Tyrrhenian, so add that to the Ligurian.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com