• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"After Hours with Daniel"

317indy

Seriously, If it werent for my need for caffine provided by Pepsi, I would not have known about this show. Pepsistuff.com has a deal with Amazon where you can enter codes that you find on your Pepsi products, you ear points. Upon my searching for something I like, I find this gem. "After Hours with Daniel" is a show that follows Daniel Boulud to famous kitchens whom he and the Chef of the famous kitchen plays host to a dinner after service. Guests are other local great chefs, who share stories and all along, they go through showing dishes, and sharing knowledge!

Great show!

mojohd.com under shows and watch a preview. Im hooked!

Agree! Heard about it from my boss. If he didn't tell me, I would've never known about it. I love this show... My favorites so far are the ones from New Orleans and Miami.

I wish this was on a major network too so it's accessible to others.

I have what I am watching later! Thanks for letting us know about it!

Wow, something like this would SO go well on a major network!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

http://www.mojohd.com/ ,works for me.

i've been watching this show for awhile now and i do enjoy it, but i'd stop short of calling it great. you see very little cooking.the bulk of the show is daniel interacting with the local and sometimes national celebrities that are invited to dinner.

chef boulud comes across as great guy. definetly a guy i'd want to spend a few hours at the dinner table with.

"A great show! Why not on a major network?" is one of those questions that kind of answers itself.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've been watching it for a while now and really enjoy it. My 16 year old daughter on the other had hates it, big time. Here's her rant:

"Oohhh look at me, I'm Dan-YELL. I'm really cool and you're not. Look at all of my really cool friends that eat with me, and you can't. Cuz you're not cool. Like me, Dan-YELL".

Kids :rolleyes:

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

i've been watching this show for awhile now and i do enjoy it, but i'd stop short of calling it great. you see very little cooking.the bulk of the show is daniel interacting with the local and sometimes national celebrities that are invited to dinner.

I agree. I've been watching for a long time as well, and I wish that he would get rid of some of the celebrities and focus more on the food prep. Thankfully, I have the episodes recorded, so I just fast-forward through the celebrity gibberish.

chef boulud comes across as great guy. definetly a guy i'd want to spend a few hours at the dinner table with.

So true! Chef Boulud reminds me of a younger Jacques Pepin, who I've had a crush on for over 20 years. :wub:

"Oohhh look at me, I'm Dan-YELL. I'm really cool and you're not. Look at all of my really cool friends that eat with me, and you can't. Cuz you're not cool. Like me, Dan-YELL".

This is closer to my reaction and I'm no kid.

Cheers,

Anne

last I checked, the show is also available for free on-line viewing at Hulu.com

Thanks for mentioning this, Jeff. I'm playing catch-up now.

I'm impressed with the cinematography, the lighting, the audio, the editing. For the most part, I like the mix of guests but could do without some of the actor folk. :wink:

I'm just two episodes in and find Daniel is pretty ballsy, showing up in someone else's kitchen to cook a little something for the evening's get-together as if the food they were going to be served from that restaurant wouldn't be good enough as is. But who is going to tell him "No"? Still, it's fun to hear them chit chat about the chef/restaurant biz as they chow down.

edited to add: Was blown away by the $50,000 worth of aging beef in BLT Prime and then that was topped by the just under a million dollars worth of aging beef at DeBragga & Spitler. :blink:

And Cru's freakin' wine warehouse.

I also like seeing the drink masters whipping up a cocktail or talking about wine.

"After Hours" is a multi-faceted series with a lot to like.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver