• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tobacco Road - Best Meal in Miami?

Miami Danny

I have kept it to myself too long, and for that I make amends. Every Tuesday night, you can get a $10.99 Lobster Dinner at TR-comes with garlic mash and slaw-who cares it is a freakin lobster for 11 dollars! Peroni and Bud be $3.50, Photosfor photos of Senior Pinchy, and what I did to him for breakfast the next day. I also compared him to another lobster dish I had eaten recently at Vita, and found the $28 Vita Lobster Salad more than lacking Lobster Cage Match If anyone knows of a better meal in Miami, please, please, post it here. And remember, CALL AHEAD!!!!

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

Do you mean better meal or better value meal? It strikes me that that is likely a great meal for the money, but I would imagine that one can eat better food if price is no object, no?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Do you mean better meal or better value  meal? It strikes me that that is likely a great meal for the money, but I would imagine that one can eat better food if price is no object, no?

As I said, best meal in Miami. That I've ever eaten. In a restaurant/eating establishment (it's hard to call T. Road a 'restaurant'). Perhaps others would choose something else?

Do you mean better meal or better value  meal? It strikes me that that is likely a great meal for the money, but I would imagine that one can eat better food if price is no object, no?

As I said, best meal in Miami. That I've ever eaten. In a restaurant/eating establishment (it's hard to call T. Road a 'restaurant'). Perhaps others would choose something else?

Wow. That's a pretty strong statement. I just wanted to be clear. Sounds like it would very much be worth a try! Thanks for sharing it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

We used to have the $7.99 whole Maine lobster special at a hole in the wall on - if I recall correctly - Blue Road (or maybe it was Red Road) - north of Bird Road. Forget the name of the place. It was a great value - and a good lobster (especially if you had it whole and steamed - it is kind of hard to mess up a whole steamed lobster) - but it was hardly the best meal available in Miami (and I thought it was better than Tobacco Road - which has been around for ages - almost 100 years).

I would consider it a sad commentary on Miami if Tobacco Road were the best restaurant in town - but - luckily - I don't share that opinion (although - at this point - I can only say what my favorite restaurant is on a particular trip - since I no longer live in Miami).

BTW - I assume the lobsters at all places like this now are Canadian lobsters - which are considerably less expensive than Maine lobsters from the US. And that they are "chicken" lobsters.

And FWIW - our favorite meal last trip was at the Four Seasons - trips before that - in no particular order - were Mosaico (chef no longer there - maybe restaurant is closed?) - dining room at the Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove (again - chef no longer there - lunch this trip was mediocre) - and Casa Tua (which I think - surprisingly - is pretty much the same). You get the point. Dining in Miami is very much a rapidly moving target. One thing I will say about Tobacco Road is it is consistent - which is more than you can say about most places in Miami. I have sometimes made reservations at new places in Miami which were closed before I even got to Miami 3 months later. Robyn

BTW - I assume the lobsters at all places like this now are Canadian lobsters - which are considerably less expensive than Maine lobsters from the US. And that they are "chicken" lobsters.

Whats a chicken lobster? Is it the same thing as a Canner? We get those in Canada starting in early May.

"BTW - I assume the lobsters at all places like this now are Canadian lobsters - which are considerably less expensive than Maine lobsters from the US. And that they are "chicken" lobsters."

Whats a chicken lobster?  Is it the same thing as a Canner?  We get those in Canada starting in early May.

I looked up "canner lobsters" (didn't know what they are). Apparently they are small lobsters which grow in particular relatively warm Canadian waters. A "chicken" lobster is basically a small lobster. So all "canners" would probably be "chicken lobsters" - but not all "chicken lobsters" would be "canners". In any event - the lobsters places like this serve are pretty small (although the taste doesn't suffer if they're cooked properly). Robyn