• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good, Cheap Food in London

i am going to be in london for the next 2 months working in a school and looking for a steady job there. i will be staying near goodge street station so transportation is not a big problem.

what do you recommend as a must visit in london? budgetwise i am thinking of visiting the maze or claridges as their (set) menus look nice so i am aiming max of 30-40 per person exluding drinks (well it wouldnt hurt if it was cheaper of course:P)

also even "fast" food is a must. like a good burger or good ethnic food.

thanks a lot

Grazing, 19-21 Great Tower Street, EC3R 5AR - around the corner from Monument tube and a two minute walk from Tower of London. Brilliant roast meat sandwiches for lunch, eat in or takeaway, plus salads, baked stuff and what I can say with complete and utter bias is the absolute best breakfast in the City.

how does the tasting menu at maze work? i am dying to taste that blt dish they have since watching it on tv.

also whats the dress code?

As far as i know, the idea of Maze is basically tapas. You order say 4 or 5 dishes from the menu, and theyre served one the other i guess. A tasting menu by any other name...

As far as i know, the idea of Maze is basically tapas. You order say 4 or 5 dishes from the menu, and theyre served one the other i guess. A tasting menu by any other name...

so can 2 people go and select any number of dishes from the tasting menu from their site?

because i thought tasting menus were like a fixed price per head.

so can 2 people go and select any number of dishes from the tasting menu from their site?

There's a "tasting menu" at Maze where you get a pre-selected run of dishes, or you pick exactly the same thing from the ALC. Either way, you'll have to work hard not to spend £100 per head and leave with a gnawing sense of regret.

The dress code is charcol and peroxide.

There's a "tasting menu" at Maze where you get a pre-selected run of dishes, or you pick exactly the same thing from the ALC. Either way, you'll have to work hard not to spend £100 per head and leave with a gnawing sense of regret.

The dress code is charcol and peroxide.

Ha, don't try too hard to hate it. :raz:

At Maze they have a lunch 3course..for i think 30pounds

Went back in May, quite good. Though ordered other things off the menu which came out to around 100usd. (like the blt and foie gras)

Another place i dined at was Twelve, it was quite mediocre, nothing special at all. Small restaurant located bottom of a hotel.

Jim

P.s. Had some nice Lamb Doner street food in London, primarily Right across my hotel in Islington (Hilton). Don't really get/nor see much of that in America.

• 1 month later...
i am going to be in london for the next 2 months working in a school and looking for a steady job there. i will be staying near goodge street station so transportation is not a big problem.

what do you recommend as a must visit in london? budgetwise i am thinking of visiting the maze or claridges as their (set) menus look nice so i am aiming max of 30-40 per person exluding drinks (well it wouldnt hurt if it was cheaper of course:P)

also even "fast" food is a must. like a good burger or good ethnic food.

thanks a lot

1. Terra Restaurant (near Goodge Street) - cheap, cheerful, has a very high London Eating score

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3769.htm

2. The Royal Oak (East London) for Sunday lunch

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/34063.htm

3. Busaba Eathai (chain - near Goodge Street, Soho, Marylebone)

Simple, cheap Thai food

4. Buen Ayre (Hackney)

Great steaks

5. The Gun (Docklands)

Good gastro

6. L'Absinthe (Primrose Hill)

Authentic French

7. Arbutus and Wild Honey (Mayfair and Soho)

Sister Restaurants - both modern British, both one starred, good value, interesting food.

8. Great Queen Street (Covent Garden) and Anchor & Hope (Southwark)

Modern British - the former is my fave in London, the latter is the gastropub equivalent where you can't book.

9. The obvious Michelins, The Square, The Greenhouse, Royal Hospital Road, Hakkasan, Rasoi, Foliage, The Connaught (well soon to be Michelin), Le Gavroche, Petrus, Pied a Terre, The Capital etc etc

At risk of hijacking the thread... where can one eat decently for under £10 for lunch and/or dinner in zones 1 and 2? Preferably on the Victoria line...

I'd also be interested in knowing where to have cheap-ish, freshly made dim sum (or indeed just dumplings). Yauatcha surprisingly ended up being cheaper than most of Chinatown, when we went, but the chairs are absolutely horrible (in my legs' opinion only).

Edited by Roger le goéland (log)

I'd also be interested in knowing where to have cheap-ish, freshly made dim sum (or indeed just dumplings). Yauatcha surprisingly ended up being cheaper than most of Chinatown, when we went, but the chairs are absolutely horrible (in my legs' opinion only).

Imperial china on Lisle Street. They only serve dim sum at lunch (12-5pm) and the evening food they serve tends to be a lot more suspect. Off there for a quick lunch today as it happens.

At risk of hijacking the thread... where can one eat decently for under £10 for lunch and/or dinner in zones 1 and 2? Preferably on the Victoria line...

Little Bay.

I'd second little bay, cheap wine too which is always a bonus!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 3 weeks later...