• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

green tomatoes

steverino

I searched "fried green tomatoes" and "green tomatoes", and didn't come up with a whole lot . . .

Well, I've got a nice little herd of green tomatoes on my counter(With more coming). I'm looking for ideas, and i know I've come to the right place !

Thanks,

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

Lucky you to have green tomatoes this late in the year. Ours crop is almost gone.

Make a Remoulade, substituting finely crumbled blue cheese for about 1/2 the mayonnaise, and let it meld for at least an hour.

Core the 'maters slice them about 3/8" (~1 cm) thick. Dip in flour seasoned with salt, pepper and a teeny tiny bit of sugar. Then dip in egg, then corn meal. Fry in neutral oil over medium high heat.

Or, season the flour with S&P, thyme and cayenne. Instead of blue cheese, adulterate the remoulade with some Old Bay (if your Remoulade has tarragon, omit it) and chopped shrimp.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

'maters

Never heard that one before. :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I've had pickled green tomatoes - not my cup of tea but some people like them. I think they'd probably be very good in Chow Chow - it's pickled sort of relish/side dish popular in certain areas of the South (the Carolina's if I recall correctly).

There was another discussion of the fried variety in this forum (started by me after my initial unsuccessful attempt to fry some)

Fried Green Tomato Discussion

Yup, pickled. They were the first -- and only -- pickles I ever made.

Jam, sweet. PM me if you want a recipe.

Dessert sauce, with lemongrass and ginger. (well, it was supposed to be jam, but I didn't add enough pectin)

Use instead of tomatillos in salsa verde.

I wonder how green tomatoes would hold up to the treatment Mark Bittman gives to green papaya, jicama, and Granny Smith apples in this week's Minimalist column in the New York Times. Seems as though there are enough affinities to make green tomatoes a strong candidate for an interesting Southeast Asian-style salad:

http://nytimes.com/2002/10/09/dining/09MINI.html

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Fried green tomatoes -- fry some bacon. Dredge tomato slices in mixture of flour, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Fry in a little of the hot bacon fat till nice and brown. Turn, sprinkle browned side with a little brown sugar, and fry the other side. Serve with reserved bacon crumbled over the tops.

I do them like Toby, except for the following: no bread crumbs, just flour. Both sides sprinkled with brown sugar and caramelized, served with a cream gravy and the bacon on the side. At least once a summer!

Also, I like the tomatoes to show some pink rather than being totally green and hard. I make a brunch casserole of layers of tomatoes and gravy and call it my "Fried Not-so-Green Tomato Casserole." This is making me hungry...maybe theres a green tomato or two left out there in the garden, I'll go see...

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali