• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

summertime bourbon

lancaster

I've seen some good-looking recipes like the 19th Street Special over at Death and Co. (bakers, aperol, lemon, muddled tangerine) and a scary one or two like Dr. Cocktail's Leatherneck (blended whiskey, lemon and blue curacao), here's the question for the fellow die-hards of the brown goodness - How do you stand by your favorite girl(guy) in June/July?

Bourbon and Bitter Lemon soda. Sometimes with Ginger Beer as well. Sometimes with mint or herbal simple syrup and a squeeze of lemon. Over lots of ice in the tallest glass you can find.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Isn't a Blinker made with Rye?  :unsure:

i'm sure this has been highly debated somewhere on this site, and yes, all recipes do point to rye as the spirit of choice, but i prefer it with a high rye content bourbon

Sounds like Bulleit would make a tasty Blinker. I might have to test that theory tomorrow night after work...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Bourbon and water in a tall glass is always a soothing refresher, but, on the other hand,

I was raised (sadly, this is almost literally true) on

The Old Fashioned (this is a good video of Chris McMillan whipping one up. It makes one damned thirsty to see him doing this. Chris is a talented man.

Edited by Mayhaw Man (log)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I've just updated my recipe for the Gingered Gentleman, a fine tipple for all occasions between Memorial and Labor Days. It's also the beans while roasting turkey on Thanksgiving, toasting a new year, and recovering from snow shoveling.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts