• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonalds Southern Style Chicken

WiscoNole

Score!

So I decided to go through the drive-through on my way to work this morning and ordered the Southern Style chicken biscuit. I don't know if there was someone new cooking in the kitchen but whoever it was put the larger-sized sandwich portion on my biscuit.

Normally, the piece of chicken on the biscuit is smaller than the piece of chicken in the Southern Style Chicken sandwich and fits proportionately on the biscuit. I wish I had taken a picture of the biscuit I got this morning. There was chicken hanging out every which way on the biscuit. :laugh:

Ah, sometimes it's the littlest things in Life that can start your day off right...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't usually eat at McDonalds, I do like their breakfast items a lot. If I go there for lunch, I usually get the Fish O'Fillet (not a very popular item on the menu I am assuming since it is placed last). A few days ago, I decided to try the Southern Style Chicken. Didn't like the taste of the pickles on it, so I took the pickles away, other than that, I thought the chicken is well-seasoned and well-cooked (well fried I know, so quite unhealthy...)

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've been to McDonald's. I'd say almost a year. Funny how five years ago I used to go here all the time and now I rarely bother.

Full disclosure: I've never experienced a Chick-Fil-A so I can't compare.

Last Friday I decided to give their Southern-style chicken sandwich a try based on reading this thread.

It was like I was eating a chicken flavored sponge. :blink: It was tasty and yet almost unnaturally juicy. A pity the bun was as if from a steamer. I can almost imagine what it would've been like if it were freshly made.

It's been a while since I've been to McDonald's.  I'd say almost a year.  Funny how five years ago I used to go here all the time and now I rarely bother.

Full disclosure:  I've never experienced a Chick-Fil-A so I can't compare.

Last Friday I decided to give their Southern-style chicken sandwich a try based on reading this thread.

It was like I was eating a chicken flavored sponge.  :blink:  It was tasty and yet almost unnaturally juicy.  A pity the bun was as if from a steamer.  I can almost imagine what it would've been like if it were freshly made.

LOL, I can't believe YOU actually tried it. Of course its going to taste like crap compared to the wonderful ingredients you have access to and the fabulous food you cook. If I lived in NYC and could cook/eat from the Greenmarket, I wouldnt step foot in a McDonalds.

Yeah but when you're stuck in the middle of midtown and you're 30 minutes between conference calls, sometimes fast food is the way to go.  :wink:

Amen. 95% of the time, the only reason I'm eating at a place like McD's is because it's fast and convenient. The other 5% is either PMS or child related.

Cheryl

Chik-Fil-A opened a restaurant here and had a giveaway promotion so I was able to try their comparable sandwich.

The Chik-Fil-A sandwich was huge in comparison to McDonald's southern style chicken sandwich. It was also quite a bit saltier. :hmmm: I couldn't detect any sort of pickle flavor that you get with the McDonald's version.

I'll have to give them another try because I didn't think it was as ground moving as some have made it out to be and perhaps I didn't get a proper sampling.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver