• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonalds Southern Style Chicken

WiscoNole

And what a horrible attempt at a ripoff it is. Using Chick-fil-a as the control, since it's painfully obvious that this is nothing more than an effort to copy Chick-fil-a to a T, the McDonalds version is a joke. The seasoning is nothing close to that of Chick-fil-a, the chicken is not surprisingly of noticeably lower quality, the breading is "meh", and it's about 2/3 the size of a Chick-fil-a sandwich for $1 more. My favorite part of the whole thing is the commercial about the Southern Style Chicken Biscuit where they clearly say "homemade-tasting biscuit". Give me a #^%&ing break! :laugh:

And what a horrible attempt at a ripoff it is.  Using Chick-fil-a as the control, since it's painfully obvious that this is nothing more than an effort to copy Chick-fil-a to a T, the McDonalds version is a joke.  The seasoning is nothing close to that of Chick-fil-a, the chicken is not surprisingly of noticeably lower quality, the breading is "meh", and it's about 2/3 the size of a Chick-fil-a sandwich for $1 more.  My favorite part of the whole thing is the commercial about the Southern Style Chicken Biscuit where they clearly say "homemade-tasting biscuit".  Give me a #^%&ing break!  :laugh:

Its been years since I've had a CFA, so I dont know if I can fairly compare. However, I find it hard to believe that its 1.00 more. I paid 2.68 for a sandwich. Is CFA, really 1.68? Both my sister and I thought the Southern sandwich was pretty big. I actually had one last night and I ordered the bun without "margarine". I actually had to wait 4 min for the sandwich to be made. It came out piping hot. I also got extra pickles and a pack of mayo in the side.

I''ve had the chicken biscuit twice. The first time it was reminiscent of the CFA because of an abundance of pickle flavor. The second time, it was a biscuit with chicken on it. The first time, I also got a sausage biscuit and preferred the chicken. The second time, I wished I had gotten the sausage biscuit instead.

I haven't had one yet but just received two McDonald's coupons in the mail for free sandwiches. One is a free sandwich coupon usable at lunch- or dinner-time and the other is for a free chicken biscuit sandwich at breakfast-time. Apparently they're pushing the chicken biscuit sandwich as a breakfast item.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I commented about this on the McD's thread, but I found them to be decent, at least equal in quality to our not-very-local CFA. The seasonings are different, they don't butter the bun like CFA does, and the one I had was really thick, almost an inch through the center of the breast. I found the sandwich itself dry-ish, even though the chicken was moist. It was better with a bit less pickle, and a bit of mayo.

For people that can't get to CFA, but like a sandwich that's not goopy, or graced with slimy tomato, or wilting lettuce (like most fast food chicken sandwiches) it's a good option.

As far as the breakfast sandwich....if you like McD's biscuits, and a lot of people do, they're a total godsend. I love chicken-biscuit sandwiches, LOVE them. Where else in NJ am I gonna get my hands on one at 6 am? I can't lovingly marinate chicken breasts in buttermilk and hand bread them, to fry and have alongside homemade biscuits every Tuesday morning ;)

Overall, in the realm of fast food, it's a definite welcome change. Especially the breakfast item.

I haven't had one yet but just received two McDonald's coupons in the mail for free sandwiches. One is a free sandwich coupon usable at lunch- or dinner-time and the other is for a free chicken biscuit sandwich at breakfast-time. Apparently they're pushing the chicken biscuit sandwich as a breakfast item.

I've probably had a dozen so far since the launch, and I haven't paid for a single one. Amazon.com is including coupons in their shipments, plus newspapers and other random mailings. So the price is right, at least at the moment! I like them both, but in contrast to others, I want even more pickle, and I wouldn't want mayo, on the lunch sandwich, I don't think. I wish the breakfast sandwich was a little moister, but overall I like 'em. Never had the CFA, they are hard to find around these parts.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Its been years since I've had a CFA, so I dont know if I can fairly compare.  However, I find it hard to believe that its 1.00 more. I paid 2.68 for a sandwich.  Is CFA, really 1.68?

The sandwich is 3.29 here in upstate New York, and the CFA sandwich is 2.55 where I used to live down south (Tallahassee). So .74, close enough. I assume your prices are Canadian.

Its been years since I've had a CFA, so I dont know if I can fairly compare.  However, I find it hard to believe that its 1.00 more. I paid 2.68 for a sandwich.  Is CFA, really 1.68?

The sandwich is 3.29 here in upstate New York, and the CFA sandwich is 2.55 where I used to live down south (Tallahassee). So .74, close enough. I assume your prices are Canadian.

I'm not actually sure it's available here in Canada yet. I checked the McDonalds.ca site and there is no mention of it. Just the new Angus burger. I"m wondering if Cali got hers in Florida where she is currently vacationing. I suppose I could stop in to my local McD's. It's been a very long time since I've been in one, but in the interests of research, I could. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I''ve had the chicken biscuit twice.  The first time it was reminiscent of the CFA because of an abundance of pickle flavor.  The second time, it was a biscuit with chicken on it.  The first time, I also got a sausage biscuit and preferred the chicken.  The second time, I wished I had gotten the sausage biscuit instead.

Lilija mentioned the McDonald's discussion where I first posted about the new chicken sandwich. I noticed there is a strong presence of dill pickle with both the sandwich and the biscuit version. I didn't like the flavor combination myself and was able to remove the pickles from the chicken sandwich, but I noticed this morning when eating my (free) chicken biscuit, there was a dill pickle flavor with the chicken biscuit though I don't believe there was any actual pickle slices in it. It's possible they could have brined the chicken in pickle juice.

Is this a southern thing with the dill pickle flavor and the chicken sandwich/biscuit? I'm not really lovin' that flavor, though, again, the chicken itself is quite moist and overall I think it's a good breakfast item.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've never detected a pickly flavor with the breakfast sandwich, maybe someone at your McD's made a mistake, put some pickles on, then took them off? That's the first thing that popped into my mind, when you mentioned it. If they really are adding a pickly flavor, that would be so bizarrely off the mark for a breakfast thing.

The Chick-Fil-A pickle addition is milder and more in the background, and just about perfect, to me. McD's pickles are way sharper, and way more forward in the overall flavor. Of course, it could be because whoever is in charge of it at my local place is heavy-handed. They go bonkers with the ketchup there, too.

I've never detected a pickly flavor with the breakfast sandwich, maybe someone at your McD's made a mistake, put some pickles on, then took them off?  That's the first thing that popped into my mind, when you mentioned it.  If they really are adding a pickly flavor, that would be so bizarrely off the mark for a breakfast thing.

The Chick-Fil-A pickle addition is milder and more in the background,  and just about perfect, to me.  McD's pickles are way sharper, and way more forward in the overall flavor. Of course, it could be because whoever is in charge of it at my local place is heavy-handed.  They go bonkers with the ketchup there, too.

I think the pickle flavor is supposed to be there, a la the CFA, but doesn't always make it into the mix.

Edited by Dignan (log)

I've found the pickle flavor quite mysterious, myself. I've been to two airport McDonald's recently and ordered the breakfast biscuit which seemed like it had pickles on it, but no visible pickles. I figured it was probably a part of the artificial seasoning of the breading and somehow "southern-style". The weird part came on the way back when I got a salad for dinner that comes with a cut up chicken breast on it. I requested crispy and some of the strips tasted like pickle and others did not, much like if pickles were placed on then removed. If I hadn't already had the biscuit I would have thought that some employee made a mistake and that is what happened, but then it really seemed to me like the pickle flavoring was localized to the traditional pickle location on my chicken biscuit too, and I doubt anyone was accidentally putting pickles on sandwiches at 8 am. I'm not sure if my theory is that the pickle flavoring is localized in the coating or if there is some sort of pickle flavoring stamper that they hit these things with, but that's my 2p.

I've found the pickle flavor quite mysterious, myself.  I've been to two airport McDonald's recently and ordered the breakfast biscuit which seemed like it had pickles on it, but no visible pickles.  I figured it was probably a part of the artificial seasoning of the breading and somehow "southern-style".  The weird part came on the way back when I got a salad for dinner that comes with a cut up chicken breast on it.  I requested crispy and some of the strips tasted like pickle and others did not, much like if pickles were placed on then removed.  If I hadn't already had the biscuit I would have thought that some employee made a mistake and that is what happened, but then it really seemed to me like the pickle flavoring was localized to the traditional pickle location on my chicken biscuit too, and I doubt anyone was accidentally putting pickles on sandwiches at 8 am.  I'm not sure if my theory is that the pickle flavoring is localized in the coating or if there is some sort of pickle flavoring stamper that they hit these things with, but that's my 2p.

Thank you Chris and tm for confirming the pickle flavor in the biscuit version. I think it's in the sandwich, too. I had removed the pickle slices from the sandwich but still could taste that flavor which I attributed to the pickle slice "contamination". It would make sense that the flavoring is in either the breading or in the chickien itself somehow.

It is quite an odd flavor to taste in the morning with your breakfast food. :blink: I actually thought to myself "Has the chicken gone bad?" :laugh:

Tim Oliver

I'm not actually sure it's available here in Canada yet. I checked the McDonalds.ca site and there is no mention of it. Just the new Angus burger. I"m wondering if Cali got hers in Florida where she is currently vacationing. I suppose I could stop in to my local McD's. It's been a very long time since I've been in one, but in the interests of research, I could. :biggrin:

Nope, not in Canada yet, at least not in my small town. I got mine in Port Huron, MI( border town). The 2.68 price was with tax.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Oh yeah, love those Amazon coupons.  Seriously, Amazon has bought me lunch and breakfast about half a dozen times.

What are you buying from Amazon that includes coupons? I've never gotten a single one (and I usually order 2-3 times per month, mostly books, music and cookware). In fact, I just received a book order about 20 minutes ago. I double-checked the box, to make sure that I didn't overlook anything. There was nothing included but the invoice! :sad:

Oh yeah, love those Amazon coupons.  Seriously, Amazon has bought me lunch and breakfast about half a dozen times.

What are you buying from Amazon that includes coupons? I've never gotten a single one (and I usually order 2-3 times per month, mostly books, music and cookware). In fact, I just received a book order about 20 minutes ago. I double-checked the box, to make sure that I didn't overlook anything. There was nothing included but the invoice! :sad:

Books! I recieved two orders with books, in the past two weeks, and another one's on its way. Both orders came with two coupons, one for breakfast, one for lunch, free sandwiches. I'll report if this order comes with coupons.

As far as the pickly flavor, I have to go back and try it again. If you guys are detecting it, I could be missing something. See, I -taste- for work, and generally when I'm not working, unless I'm cooking something new, or fancier, or eating something really intriguing, I don't go about -tasting- it on the level that I have to, for my job. There's eating, and then there's tasting. I've just been eating these chicken sandwiches, I've had 2 lunch versions, and 4 breakfast versions so far(coincidentally all on work days) so I'm not going out of my way to really analyze them.

Next one I have, which will probably be next week sometime, I'm gonna look for the pickleyness, and really give it a thorough tasting.

I just utilized my first sandwich coupon. Incidentally the retail on the sandwich in Manhattan is $2.99.

I was surprised at how much I liked the sandwich. It's clearly a Chick-Fil-A knockoff but it's a good one. The minimalist aesthetic reflected in the toppings is right up my alley. The quality of the thick chicken patty and the breading were surprisingly high for McDonald's and seemed on par to my memories of Chick-Fil-A. I should say there are very few Chick-Fil-A stores in my region but whenever I'm in the South I try to get a sandwich there because I think it's one of the best fast-food items out there. I will miss it a lot less now that this McDonald's equivalent is on the table.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I just utilized my first sandwich coupon. Incidentally the retail on the sandwich in Manhattan is $2.99.

I was surprised at how much I liked the sandwich. It's clearly a Chick-Fil-A knockoff but it's a good one. The minimalist aesthetic reflected in the toppings is right up my alley. The quality of the thick chicken patty and the breading were surprisingly high for McDonald's and seemed on par to my memories of Chick-Fil-A. I should say there are very few Chick-Fil-A stores in my region but whenever I'm in the South I try to get a sandwich there because I think it's one of the best fast-food items out there. I will miss it a lot less now that this McDonald's equivalent is on the table.

Steven, I would be interested in your opinion of the biscuit version. Please take one for the team. :laugh: There's a mysterious pickle flavor some of us are tasting in the condimentless biscuit (and that some aren't tasting) and I'm curious to see whether you can discern it, as well.

Tim Oliver

I received coupon for a free chicken sandwich and a coupon for the biscuit version enclosed in my phone bill. The coupons expire at the end of this month but I am sure I will use them before that.

The last time I ordered the chicken biscuit and used the coupon, I think the employee rang it up wrong. After she deducted the cost of the chicken biscuit, I ended up paying less than I should have for my other items.

:rolleyes: I didn't complain.

Tim Oliver

Having never had Chik-Fil-A before, I have no basis for comparison, but I really like these sandwiches.

Woooorlds apart.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I am, as you say, an expert on the subject, since I just had a Chik-Fil-A chicken biscuit for breakfast this morning. :biggrin:

To think, I almost went to the McDonalds across the street...*flogs himself*