• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Banh Mi

mascarpone

I was in China Town today and I stopped by Nha Trang at 87 Baxter Street and asked if they made sandwiches. The waiter said they didn't but recommended Banh Mi Saigon on East Broadway underneath the bridge. He said this was the best. Very helpful fellow. He said I couldn't miss it, I should just go and ask anyone for "the sandwich place" and I would be able to find it. So I walked there and sure enough there was a tiny shop with the name Bahn Min Saigon. Alas, I was to late. Unfortunaely it was closed. I got there at around 1:30 PM. I assume that they sold everything they made and closed up shop.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

I went to East Broadway again today to check out the Sandwich place. Today there was a sign stating that they were moving to a new location at Grand and Mott. I hoofed it up to Grand and ran into another place Việt-Nam Bánh Mì Số 1 @ 369 Broome Street (212) 219-8341. They had a varied selection of sandwiches. I ordered a Chicken Sandwich for $3.25. They also sell fresh Sugarcane juice which I didn't purchase. I can't comment on the sandwich as I am saving it for dinner (will post latter). Afterwards I ran into yet another Vietnamese Pharmacy/Sandwich shop on Grand Street a few blocks East of Mott. The sandwich portion of the establishment is Vietnamese Sandwich. There were banners flying, so I assumed it was a grand opening and didn't go in.

hmmm... interesting... if you look up saigon banh mi in the yahoo! yellow pages, you get the address for banh mi so 1. do you have the exact new address for the store that used to be at 88 e. broadway?

I went to East Broadway again today to check out the Sandwich place. Today there was a sign stating that they were moving to a new location at Grand and Mott. I hoofed it up to Grand and ran into another place Việt-Nam Bánh Mì Số 1 @ 369 Broome Street (212) 219-8341. They had a varied selection of sandwiches. I ordered a Chicken Sandwich for $3.25. They also sell fresh Sugarcane juice which I didn't purchase. I can't comment on the sandwich as I am saving it for dinner (will post latter). Afterwards I ran into yet another Vietnamese Pharmacy/Sandwich shop on Grand Street a few blocks East of Mott. The sandwich portion of the establishment is Vietnamese Sandwich. There were banners flying, so I assumed it was a grand opening and didn't go in.

Wow.. Lucky you, thats a good sandwich right there.. I use to live on the east side and would drive to New Jersey every morning.. I would go across houston and purposely make the left down Mott on my way to the Holland.. I have had that chicken sandwich for breakfast many mornings.. I would sometimes hit up Ruben Empanadas after.. MMMMM breakfast.. Anyway, enjoy the sandwich, however, i would tell you to eat it immediately the next time you go..In the morning that bread is awesome..

hmmm...  interesting...  if you look up saigon banh mi in the yahoo! yellow pages, you get the address for banh mi so 1.  do you have the exact new address for the store that used to be at 88 e. broadway?

I don't have the exact address for the east broadway shop. I think I forgot to mention that the sign on the closed East Broadway shop said they would reopen on June 17 at the new location around Mott/Grand.

I ordered a Chicken Sandwich for $3.25. They also sell fresh Sugarcane juice which I didn't purchase. I can't comment on the sandwich as I am saving it for dinner (will post latter).

Banh Mi are okay held for a while, but nowhere near as good right when they're made when the bread is still warm and crunchy. Also, having had a few of their sandwiches, the No. 1, Dac Biet, is the one to get. It's sort of The Works... pork, Vietnamese pate, etc. The Dac Biet is the only sandwich Saigon Banh Mi offers, as far as I know.

Dumpling House on Eldridge makes a sandwich out of their awesome scallion pancakes that is filled with some kind of grilled meat, shredded carrots, cilantro and maybe mayo. It's fairly big... especially as I think it costs $1.50.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

After reading recent posts I immediatly scarfed down the sandwich. :biggrin: It was delicious, but the bread was a bit chewy. Perhaps, if I'd eatten it earlier it would have been more crunchy. The chicken was moist, and dark as though it had been in a curry marinade. There was a long, crisp spear of cucumber, pickled carrots, mayo, and cilantro. When I ordered, I requested that my sandwich not be spicy.

Went back to Việt-Nam Bánh Mì Số 1 @ 369 Broome Street (near Mott) today with Pan. Today I went all out and got Iced Sugarcane Juice as well as a Pork Sandwich(#3). Pan got sandwich #1 that had Pork, Vietnamese Salami, and another type of meat that I can't remember with the usual accompaniments as well as the Iced Sugar Cane Juice. I asked for just a little hot sauce this time which was plenty for my taste, however, Pan deliberately asked for hot sauce and his reaction was that it could have been even more spicy. :wacko::laugh: IMO that much hot sauce would overwhelm the other, subtle flavors of the sandwich.

We ordered at around 11:45 AM and ate at around noon. The bread was a bit more crunchy than yesterday afternoon, but was still a bit chewy (not like a bagel, but it had a bit of resistance).

The Sugarcane Juice was very rich and sweet. At $3.75, it was more expensive than the sandwich. My sandwich was just $3.

Pan took pictures of both sandwiches and will post them later today, pending the quality of the photos.

As Việt-Nam Bánh Mì Số 1 is far from a sit down place, we ate at a park not far from the shop. At the park we met a local neighborhood regular that we ran into just minutes earlier when ordering. If I lived in that neighborhood I would probably be a regular considering the price and the quality of the sandwiches.

Boy, you really know how to put pressure on a guy. :angry::laugh:

Well, one of the photos of your sandwich had it superimposed over a drain, which is not very appetizing. :raz: Fortunately, I took two photos of your sandwich. :biggrin:

This was mascarpone's sandwich:

gallery_786_1378_34085.jpg

And this was mine:

gallery_786_1378_47266.jpg

It was a very good sandwich, and I especially liked the fact that it was loaded with vegetables: cucumber, cilantro, shredded lightly pickled carrots and jicama. I look forward to trying other sandwiches there (chicken, veggie special, etc.). But next time, I'll ask for it very spicy. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Strangely, for the third day in a row, I found myself in the vicinity of Việt-Nam Bánh Mì Số 1. I walked around Grand and Mott streets and found the new location and name of the original establishment which began this thread Bánh Mì Saigon Bakery @138-01Mott (just south of Grand on the East Side of the street). Although the sign on the old storefront said they woud open today (6/17), an individual inside said I should call back next Wednesday, as they were waiting for an inspector. They seem to be sharing the space with another business, so my guess they are going to undercut the other sandwich places in that area. It is going to be BATTLE OF THE SANDWICHES

Back at Việt-Nam Bánh Mì Số 1 I ordered the Sandwich #1 which had Roast Pork, Sliced Pork, Vietnamese Salami, and the usual accompaniments. My favorite at this point is the Chicken Sandwich. I noticed today that there is also a Lemongrass Chicken (Vegan) available.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped by the new location of Bánh Mì Saigon Bakery today for lunch and had an excellent Pork Sandwich. The main difference between this item and that found at Việt-Nam Bánh Mì Số 1 is there are more accompaniments (pickled carrot and daikon, fresh cilantro, larger cucmber wedge) and the pork is less saucy. I prefer the Pork sandwich at Bánh Mì Saigon Bakery to that at Việt-Nam Bánh Mì Số 1 on Broome, however the later has a more varied menu. The price of this particular sandwich is the same at both establishments.

A papaya and shrimp salad (4.75), chicken sandwich (3.50) and something else is is also a at Bánh Mì Saigon Bakery, as well as iced coffe w/ condensed milk, and other baked items. In addition they have some exotic canned beverages for sale such as winter melon juice.

I walked by Banh Mi Saigon on Saturday afternoon around 1:30 and there was a huge line out the door. I was also suprised it seemed to share it's space with a camera/jewelry store.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

• 2 years later...

Can I get a clarification on which is the current reigning Bahn Mi stud? Is it 138 mott? Or 369 Broome? Or neither? I'm in Soho, can head east, need to pick one up to take out to the game, which yes, I'm better off stopping off somewhere on the 7 to pick up, but that's not much of an option today -

TIA....

- raji

Yah you know I had that last time, and it was great but I felt there was too little filling compared to the bread ratio, and wasn't that spicy, so I tried the 138 Mott place this time, I will report back, but they look pretty good, and damn, $3.75 it's a pretty good deal

tonight's the night we turn it around. if not, it's time to clean house

Yah you know I had that last time, and it was great but I felt there was too little filling compared to the bread ratio, and wasn't that spicy, so I tried the 138 Mott place this time, I will report back, but they look pretty good, and damn, $3.75 it's a pretty good deal

tonight's the night we turn it around. if not, it's time to clean house

for what it's worth the bahn mi on broome has changed owners. Apparently the old lady had enough. Been back once with new owners, it was ok, but for some reason it felt different. The sandwich had less filling, and the way the store is arranged, makes it feel empty and awkward. I'll be looking for new spots now that its warmer out.

I guess it's time to clean house!

Well for $3.75 a pop, 138 Mott delivered. Not enough sweet and sour going on, and they said they would make it hot, and they put these peppers in that basically had me breathing fire in short order, but I tried a pate and a sausage one, the sausage was really nice chinese sausage, the pate was good too, both had sliced pork in them, was pretty happy with it and considered them better than 368 broome.

So I guess it's between those 2?

I'm going to Japan and I'm not coming back until Bobby V is with me. This has to end.

Jeez, that was torturous last night...

Have you ever had the bahn mi at Nicky's, on 2nd St. east of Ave. A? They're not quite as traditional, and a bit more expensive, but quite tasty actually. And of course there are the really high-end ones at Kampuchea and Ssam Bar.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yeah I was going to say, the place on Broome has not been the same since it changed hands last year. It used to be my favorite, but no more. Not bad, but not as good somehow, starting with the bread. Prices went up too.

I don't particularly care for 138 Mott (that's the one in the back of the Jewelery store, right?). The bread is too heavy and puts up too much of a fight. My new favorite is Paris Sandwich, a little further down Mott St at 113. I've only been once, but my impression was that the bread was very good and overall the sandwich was well put together. It also helps that they have a relatively wide variety of proteins, a good selection of other treats, and a plenty of room to sit inside.

Edited by zEli173 (log)

Yeah I was going to say, the place on Broome has not been the same since it changed hands last year.  It used to be my favorite, but no more.  Not bad, but not as good somehow, starting with the bread.  Prices went up too.

I don't particularly care for 138 Mott (that's the one in the back of the Jewelery store, right?).  The bread is too heavy and puts up too much of a fight.  My new favorite is Paris Sandwich, a little further down Mott St at 113.  I've only been once, but my impression was that the bread was very good overall the sandwich was well put together.  It also helps that they have a relatively wide variety of proteins, a good selection of other treats, and a plenty of room to sit inside.

Only tried Paris Sandwich 1x and was very disappointed.

I like Mott 138. Also a big fan of the Bahn Mi/Video/CD/Cigarette shop @ Lafayette & Walker -- regular Mets game day feast.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Yeah I was going to say, the place on Broome has not been the same since it changed hands last year.  It used to be my favorite, but no more.  Not bad, but not as good somehow, starting with the bread.  Prices went up too.

I don't particularly care for 138 Mott (that's the one in the back of the Jewelery store, right?).  The bread is too heavy and puts up too much of a fight.  My new favorite is Paris Sandwich, a little further down Mott St at 113.  I've only been once, but my impression was that the bread was very good overall the sandwich was well put together.  It also helps that they have a relatively wide variety of proteins, a good selection of other treats, and a plenty of room to sit inside.

Only tried Paris Sandwich 1x and was very disappointed.

I like Mott 138. Also a big fan of the Bahn Mi/Video/CD/Cigarette shop @ Lafayette & Walker -- regular Mets game day feast.

My observation, which this thread seems to confirm, is that the bahn mi situation overall is quite inconsistent. Over the years, I've had some great ones at Broome, but also some slightly less so. My last, which was about 6 months ago, was very good. 138 Mott, which used to be under the bridge was once the king of the Manhattan bahn mi, but now seems to have slipped. My last sandwich there was only so-so, with the bread surprisingly chewy (not crisp). I've only tried Paris Sandwich once, but it was TERRIBLE that time. I actually threw out most of the sandwich, and I never do that. Still, I've heard some give good reports from there. And as one poster mentioned, Nicky's usually makes a very nice sandwich, albeit less traditional/authentic and smaller for the money than the others. One name that seems to have been left out of the chat is the A. Chau Deli (82A Mulberry, between Canal and Bayard, I think). I've heard most people putting them at least in the same general league as the faves, so probably worth a try.

All this talk yesterday gave me a craving so I went over to Nicky's to give them a try for the first time. I've bean meaning for a long, long time to mix Nicky's into the rotation but this was the first time I followed through. This was also the first time I followed through on another promise I kept making myself; that I would try a sardine sandwich.

Since I've never had sardine anywhere else, comparisons aren't worth much, but I was generally pretty happy. My impressions are in line with all the other comments. A little more money, a little less food, a little less traditional seeming, solid solid sandwich. It was still plenty to eat, so I wasn't upset about the size. The sardine is obviously very different from any porky fillings, but it was yummy. My one gripe is that I was wanting the sandwich to have a little more garnish to balance out the protein, but I liked the slightly thicker julienne on the pickled carrots.

I just saw this thread and have to add my vote for A Chau. I've been back many times and there has been a very good consistency to the quality of the sandwhiches there. I posted about it on my blog here:

http://vinotas.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-love...hidden-one.html

So far, it's been one of the best I've had in the city.

Cheers! :cool:

• 9 months later...

I'm posting this here as opposed to the Best: Vietnamese thread because Nicky's really is just a banh mi shop. Was walking by today and needed a quick snack so a $5 sandwich suited me just fine. Wrong kind of bread--more Italian roll than baguette-but tasty all around. Wish they'd up the seasoning, both with spice and salt, but for $5 you could do much worse. Pretty efficient operation, too; I was in and out in about three minutes.