• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things you can do with Italian Pasta

XiaoLing

If you noticed the trend on my posts, you can see that my family is kinda partial to carbs. :unsure: Really, we don't eat that many carbs....really....

I went back home for a weekend one day and as I was trying to decide what to make for dinner for the entire family, my cousin insisted on fried noodles instead. Apparently, the other dishes I was calling out to make wasn’t very appealing to her. :hmmm:

So we decided on fried noodles. And since I didn’t feel like going to Chinatown (even though it’s like a 5 min drive) to get fresh noodles, we decided on Italian thin spaghetti. (I just got back from a 3 hr drive!! Okay, fine, so I'm lazy.)

Now, this isn’t the first time we’ve done this and quite frankly, I find using Italian pasta easier to move around the wok than the fresh ones I get in Chinatown. Plus it gives more of a chew and bite. *Please don’t hate me* :unsure:

After adding a whole bunch of ingredients, that includes Chinese sausage, egg, carrots, celery, cabbage, spam (yes, I said SPAM, the other white meat), etc. I quickly fried everything together with great wok hei.

The results were very tasty and cousins approved. Even my Dad said “Hey! Your noodles are better than your Mom’s!” Funny he should take the opportunity to say that when the woman is thousands of miles away in China. :hmmm:

Here’s my finished product:

gallery_48325_4009_92530.jpg

Here’s her close up:

gallery_48325_4009_6761.jpg

Now, here’s my question. What do YOU do with your Italian pasta? Any other ideas?

I have another plan for Italian pasta that I will be trying out soon, so I will keep you guys posted.

I confess to using Italian pasta in place of noodles in all the Asian dishes I make. We just like pasta more than we like other noodles.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Spaghetti is always good.

"Angel hair pasta" makes great "ants climbing a tree."

BB

Really?! Interesting. I never thought to use Angel Hair for that dish. I usually use cellophane or yam potato noodles for that. Do you have a pic to share with us? :smile:

What is "ants climbing a tree"?  Sounds intriguing!

Ants climbing a tree or 螞蟻上樹 is a traditional Sichuan dish made with minced pork and usually mung bean noodles (cellophane). The minced pork in a bed of noodles make it look as if there are ants on a tree, hence the name. It's a quick and very flavorful dish.

Really?! Interesting.  I never thought to use Angel Hair for that dish.  I usually use cellophane or yam potato noodles for that.  Do you have a pic to share with us?  :smile:

I don't currently have a working camera.

Many stir-fries make good "spaghetti sauce."

Of course, the transparent noodles add to the effect, and I wouldn't want to alter a classic.

However, good pasta is amazing in its ability to go well with almost anything.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

Just a couple of decades ago we could not get Chinese noodles of any kind in places where I lived, and some of these were small cities. Pasta was a very appropriate stand-in for Chinese noodle dishes, even in the restaurants where I worked. To this day, I almost prefer lo mein done with linguine or spaghettini.

Hell didn't the Chinese invent noodles? :raz::rolleyes:

Edited by Ben Hong (log)

I don't currently have a working camera.

Many stir-fries make good "spaghetti sauce."

Of course, the transparent noodles add to the effect, and I wouldn't want to alter a classic.

However, good pasta is amazing in its ability to go well with almost anything.

BB

Big Bunny doesn't have a working camera?!? :blink: Noooooooooooo....

Please find one soon!!

I know what you mean by stir-fries make good, I mean GREAT, spahetti sauce! I love taking left overs and boiling some plain flour noodles and then mix all the left overs together. 30 minute meals?! HA! I'm talking 10 minute meals here! Rachel Ray can eat my dust!

Just a couple of decades ago we could not get Chinese noodles of any kind in places where I lived, and some of these were small cities. Pasta was a very appropriate stand-in for  Chinese noodle dishes, even in the restaurants where I worked. To this day, I almost prefer lo mein done with linguine or spaghettini.

Hell didn't the Chinese invent noodles? :raz:  :rolleyes:

I agree with you Mr. Ben! The lo mein I did on my original post, I really do prefer it with thin spaghetti. There's a certain chew to it that really gives it more bite.

WE did invent noodles! (I take any opportunity to use my Chinese status to take credit for things. WE also invented gun powder, fireworks, modern paper, silk, etc. :laugh: )

When I make wonton soup, I put in couscous too, as part filler, and part I enjoy the texture difference of the big Israeli couscous with the wonton wrappers

Oooo....couscous in wontons. Interesting. I'm not a big fan of the usual American couscous we see all over the place but the Israeli couscous is delicious! I would love to try that sometime, I bet it would be very good!