• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Memories of Paramus Park Food Court

Keba

I grew up in Bergen County and remember going to Paramus Park Mall with my parents as a kid. These days I rarely have a need to go there but I had a craving for Chick-Fil-a the other night so I headed over there for a snack. The mall has certainly changed a lot but Chick-Fil-a is still going strong over 30 years. Nathans has been downsized and all of the other original tenants are gone. I was trying to explain to my wife about Scarlatos (sp?) pizza and how good it was. She challenged me and said that my memory of eating there as a kid was probably inaccurate, which certainly could be the case.

I remember it being very thin, crusty with a very flavorful sauce. Am I correct? Was it really good pizza or if I had it today would it just be mediocre like most mall pizza.

Does anyone have specific memories or know anything about the original owners? I assume that it was an individual pizzeria and not part of a chain.

Thanks

Keba

Hi Keba...I do remember that place, although I think they spelled it Sgarlato's? I also remember their pizza as thin crust with a nice sauce. I thought it was good, too.

Wasn't there also one at Willowbrook Mall?

I haven't been to Paramus Park in ages because I moved to central NJ many years ago. In fact, I think the last time I was there, Abraham and Strauss was still open! I remember the food court pretty well, especially the crepe place and Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor, which was among the first to have that singing-waiter stunt if you came in there for your birthday.

When there was Chik-Fil-a and Funnel cakes who needed pizza? That was a big Saturday night out when I was a little kid, even got to Farrels once for a friends B'day

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

When there was Chik-Fil-a and Funnel cakes who needed pizza? That was a big Saturday night out when I was a little kid, even got to Farrels once for a friends B'day

tracey

I totally forgot about those funnel cakes. Those were a real treat! What other original tenants were up there besides Sgarlato's, Funnel Cakes, Nathan's and Farrels? Was McDonalds always there also?

Keba

Lets see ...

Magic Pan

Philly Steaks ...my first hot peppers

Baskin Robbins

a Chinese place?

Hot Potato

Salad place?

what else?

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Aw, boy, MAGIC PAN ... now that I saw the name the yearning has begun. I loved that cozy spot. I wish there was a substitute, but none found. Can't top Farrell's ... where's a good PIG TROUGH when you need one? LOL

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

There is actually a new Creperie in Fairlawn...let me find the info....

t

Maxine

My Webpage