• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Enough Spirits for an Average Day

TAPrice

Seriously? Beefeater is ₤25/L in England?

i think alcohol is probably as bad a pharmaceuticals and cigarettes... taxes and advertising have a serious effect on cost... it creates crazy and unnatural seeming price discrepancies... but i wonder exactly how significantly advertising is in killing the value of spirits for the consumer...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Go to spirits for the home bar, both mixers and sippers:

beefeater/plymouth

cruzan silver

svedka vodka

no tequila, I don't drink it

darron calvados

maison surrene petite champagne

pampero anniversario

old overholt

some balvenie 15 I got for $1 a bottle :laugh:

marie brizzard for flavors

peychaud/regans/angostura

I don't know if this happens on a national level or not -- maybe this is a topic where we could figure it out. Today I went to replenish my supply of Beefeater. The 1.75 L was $24.98; the liter was $25.98.

I have a buddy in North Florida who's a big fan of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels, and he's found that the Total Wine in Jacksonville sells the 1.75 of Cutty Sark (Dirk's quaff of choice, my friend tells me) for $3 cheaper than the liter - $21.99 vs. $24.99. I think that's a primary reason he was able to survive his first year of law school.

A perusal of their website also shows the handle of Famous Grouse going for $5 cheaper than the liter - $22.99 vs. $27.99. My only guess is that these stores believe a certain category and/or brand of spirits is being unduly under-appreciated by the local consumers, and thus provide these sorts of 'enticements' in an attempt to introduce them to said category and/or brand. I say perhaps brand, because further analysis of TW's blended scotch selection shows the expected structurally-priced gradations of the more ubiquitous brands, i.e. Johnny Walker & Dewar's. That said, it's hard to imagine a local market of consumers that's under-appreciating Beefeater's.

Gin - I'll second the Broker's, though I can get it for $14 locally but have seen it up to $20+ for a fifth elsewhere. I'd definitely balk at that pricing point. I absolutely adore Citadelle and once found a 1.75 for $30, but it doesn't quite work in all cocktails, IMO.

Bourbon - I usually buy a couple handles of whatever the state store (NC) happens to have on sale that month in the $20-28 range (usually AAA 6 yr, Ezra 90, Evan Williams Black / 1783, Old Forester 86, Old Grand-Dad 86), and vat them together along with about 250 ml of a more mature Bourbon (usually Elijah 12 yr). The result's never a sipper, but it keeps the house pour fresh and it's fun to tinker with what Bourbons might happen to mesh well with one another.

Vodka - Kutskova is an old world-style Russian brand that can usually be had for $12-14 per 750 ml. I'll have to locate the Sobieski; it's on the NC state list for $9.95.

Tequila - I found some Tres Alegres Reposado priced at $15 for a fifth. It's not that great, admittedly, but it's 100% de agave and distilled at La Cofradia (they of Casa Noble fame). Personally, I find a significant difference between mixing with Blanco & Reposado, hence I generally use the latter. I wish I knew more about their regional distribution; I just happened to find it on the lower-middle shelf of a mom & pop liquor store along the North Florida coast.

Curacao - I'll second Katie's Gran Torres recommendation - crystal-pure orange notes, Spanish brandy base. I no longer have need of GM.

[...]

Tequila: again, I used to be able (haven't bought in a while so don't know) find El Tesoro for $20.  In lieu of that, in Boston, I find a store that carries the Herradura round liters.  They're cheaper than the 750mls, around $25-$28 for a liter (it's a bar special that stores can get too).

[...]

You mean the Herradura Blanco in this picture:

gallery_27569_3448_1526.jpg

That's my house tequila. Great stuff! Though, I thought it used to be 92 proof and the most recent bottle I picked up for a friend was 90.

Speaking of tequila, a bartender acquaintance suggested the Corralejo as a reasonable and tasty Reposado. I've been pretty happy with it so far in cocktails.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Speaking of tequila, a bartender acquaintance suggested the Corralejo as a reasonable and tasty Reposado.  I've been pretty happy with it so far in cocktails.

We go through Corralejo Reposado like it has the cure inside, and I must admit, it's pretty tasty. It was sort of a gateway drug to help me, long tequila-averse, to come around.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Speaking of tequila, a bartender acquaintance suggested the Corralejo as a reasonable and tasty Reposado.  I've been pretty happy with it so far in cocktails.

We go through Corralejo Reposado like it has the cure inside, and I must admit, it's pretty tasty. It was sort of a gateway drug to help me, long tequila-averse, to come around.

I'd have to agree here, Corralejo is great stuff. I found myself sipping it, good enough for me. Another great tequila is Milagro.

For Gin, I'd have to go with Gordon's. It's just way too well priced and tastes pretty good.

Irish Whiskey is definitely Powers. Significantly better than Bushmill's or any other bldn I've gottn ahold of. Powers is the way to go.

For Rum, I find that Appleton Gold Special is great. Great flavor and not too pricey.

A Rum that has been mentioned to me as a good Cuban style dry white rum is Mount Gay's new white rum. I think they're calling it "Silver Eclipse" or some such silliness. I haven't seen it yet in stores, but it's on the list to track down the next time the Flor de Cana Extra Dry runs out.

At the same time the person in question also mentioned El Dorado's White Rum as a preference, but harder to find. I've not seen that one either.

From what I've seen in mail order places, both are quite reasonable.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 4 weeks later...
(If you're in Atlanta, get yourself to Pearson's.)

Thanks -- that's a question I had been meaning to ask. Now that I've moved into a house, I've got more room for new stuff (but less $!).

Greene's was fantastically cheap in Columbia SC, but not here...

A Rum that has been mentioned to me as a good Cuban style dry white rum is Mount Gay's new white rum.  I think they're calling it "Silver Eclipse" or some such silliness.

Mount Gay Eclipse Silver is readily available around here, I've seen it in BevMo and other places as well. I have a bottle, and I must say I'm not impressed. If it's better than Bacardi Silver I'm not sure I could articulate how. And I'm generally a huge fan of Mount Gay rums -- XO is one of my all-time favorites -- so I take no joy in saying this.

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

(If you're in Atlanta, get yourself to Pearson's.)

Thanks -- that's a question I had been meaning to ask. Now that I've moved into a house, I've got more room for new stuff (but less $!).

Greene's was fantastically cheap in Columbia SC, but not here...

Overall, the best prices in Atlanta are out at Total Wine in Kennesaw. There are two complicating factors, though, and I don't think they're unique to the ATL. First, no store has everything. Total Wine has cheap popular gin, cognac, scotch, applejack and rum. But they don't have Laird's Bonded, Junipero, or anything from Marie Brizard. So you go to Pearson's.

That brings up the second factor: prices are variable and hard to track. At Pearson's, you find that Cointreau is only two bucks more than MB: no contest there (but how much was Cointreau at Total Wine?). And they have Carpano Antica, Laird's Bonded and even though you're buying Cointreau instead of MB's triple sec, you want the MB Apry and Grand Orange (because the differential between it and Grand Marnier isn't as advantageous as the Cointreau thing). Since you're close by anyway, you might as well head down Piedmont to Tower, where they have Junipero, Rothman and Winter Creme de Violette and Michter's rye.

Then it's over to Mac's at 10th and West Peachtree, where there's a reliable stash of yellow chartreuse, Boomsma and Vya.

Finally, you find yourself headed north on Peachtree, trying to remember how to get on the connector. And look -- there's Holeman and Finch! You're worn out from shopping. Might as well drink someone else's liquor this evening, because tomorrow, all the prices and availability will have changed.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Geez, what's wrong with the Flor de Cana?

Oh, nothing particularly.

But, I'm a flavor junkie, and after a couple bottles worth of Savoy cocktails calling for "Bacardi Rum" made with Flor de Cana Extra Dry, I'm about ready to try something else.

I live in hope that I'll find another White Rum that will blow me away...

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Geez, what's wrong with the Flor de Cana?

Oh, nothing particularly.

But, I'm a flavor junkie, and after a couple bottles worth of Savoy cocktails calling for "Bacardi Rum" made with Flor de Cana Extra Dry, I'm about ready to try something else.

I live in hope that I'll find another White Rum that will blow me away...

I know it's a stretch, but only a small one; Bacardi made a Carta Oro in addition to the Carta Blanca, so maybe use the FdC 4 yr Gold, just to spice things up a bit?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I've been meaning to try Montecristo white, but I currently have bottles of both Flor de Cana Extra Dry and Mount Gay Eclipse Silver to get through (and I've recently discovered that I much prefer Rhum Agricole Blanc to any of these; Neisson is especially nice).

That said, I have not made a direct comparison between the FdeC and Eclipse Silver in any cocktails like a traditional Daiquiri. My prior comments on the Eclipse Silver are based on a neat taste test comparison I did a couple of months ago. Listed in my order of preference from best to worst, the rums involved were:

J. Wray & Nephew C.J. Wray Estate Distilled Dry 80˚, Jamaica (now discontinued)

Pyrat Superior Blanco 80˚, Anguilla BWI (now discontinued)

Mount Gay Special Reserve 80˚, Barbados

J. Wray & Nephew White Overproof 126˚, Jamaica

Flor de Caña Extra Dry 4-year 80˚, Nicaragua

Mount Gay Eclipse Silver 80˚, Barbados

I suppose to be fair I should make some cocktails with the Eclipse Silver and see if I like it any better. But lord, tasted neat against the others it was awfully rough.

Eric, see if you can find a bottle or two of the C.J. Wray Estate Distilled Dry kicking around in old liquor stores -- it's absolutely brilliant and WILL blow you away.

Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

As a regular Flor de Cana drinker, I really have liked the two bottles of Montecristo white that I've had, especially in Daiquiris and related variations.

Yeah, Montecristo white is tempting, as is the El Dorado White.

I may cheat and throw it in.

The problem is, neither are really an appropriate substitute for Bacardi.

As much as I enjoy Montecristo white or El Dorado, neither is a molasses based rum.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

[...]

[...]

Wow, you rate the Wray & Nephew overproof that highly?

A certain part of my brain, which makes the rest of my brain grumpy the day after, really likes it. But not sure if I would rate it higher, mostly for health concerns, than the Flor de Cana Extra Dry.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

[...]

[...]

Wow, you rate the Wray & Nephew overproof that highly?

A certain part of my brain, which makes the rest of my brain grumpy the day after, really likes it. But not sure if I would rate it higher, mostly for health concerns, than the Flor de Cana Extra Dry.

i just snagged two bottles of the C.J. Wray white rum that is discontinued... i left one behind... $13 for a 750... itching to make a daiquiri.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I actually like W&N White Overproof a lot, but perhaps I have an older bottle (I recall a thread here some months ago, entitled something like "W&N White Overproof: why suddenly does it suck", that suggests it may have changed over time). In my tasting I found it sweet, fruity and funky under its high-alcohol attack, with surprisingly little burn and amazingly smooth for 123 proof. Someone described it as "Caribbean grappa" which I think is spot on. But you're right, of course -- what the heck do you do with it on any sort of regular basis? I've never had the guts to make something like a Daiquiri with it. It is very good mixed with Ting (Jamaican grapefruit soda) and lime juice over ice, however.

As for the others mentioned, Montecristo I know is a cane juice-based rum, but El Dorado I thought was molasses-based. Is it not?

Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

[...]

As for the others mentioned, Montecristo I know is a cane juice-based rum, but El Dorado I thought was molasses-based.  Is it not?

Oh, you're right, the El Dorado White is a Molasses based rum!

Excellent. Finding a bottle of that will have to be my next quest!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Good luck. If you find it anywhere around here (NorCal), please advise. I'd buy some.

Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

• 6 months later...

He mentioned it elsewhere, but I noticed today that Mr. Wondrich's Esquire article on good cheap booze is online here. The prospect of a $13 brandy that tastes good is awfully exciting. An aside for the author, if he's out there: I've tried the Raynal VSOP on your recommendation and found it to be pretty good for what it is, I've used it when I had to make punches and such on the cheap and it works great. How would you compare the Masson VSOP to the Raynal VSOP? I'd also like to get opinions from anyone else who may have had both.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

... I noticed today that Mr. Wondrich's Esquire article on good cheap booze is online here. The prospect of a $13 brandy that tastes good is awfully exciting.

White Horse Scotch: I've been buying this stuff for years. It's a terrific affordable mixing scotch that doesn't fade into the background in a cocktail. Just enough peat to remind you that there's scotch in that glass.

Brugal Anjeo rum: Damn, I keep seeing this in the stores and wondering if it's crap or if it's one of these sleeping good-value items. Now I know.

Paul Masson VSOP: I've yet to be able to bring myself to spend the kind of money on cognac that I do on single malts, so I tend to stick with lower-priced items like Chalfonte if I want actual cognac, or brandies like Raynal or St. Remy. As soon as I'm through the E&J XO brandy I have now, I think I'll check this one out.

Evan Williams: I still think Ezra Brooks (same price point) is better, but hey, maybe the fewer people who know that, the more there is for me. :biggrin:

Mr. Wondrich, if you're reading, I'd love to know how you feel Ezra Brooks stacks up against Evan Williams.

All-in-all, this a valuable rundown. These are all good to keep in mind. BTW, I love the brown paper bag motif. Nice touch.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes