• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Enough Spirits for an Average Day

TAPrice

I live in Cincinnati, but I shop exclusively in our Northern Kentucky suburbs (directly across the Ohio River from Downtown Cincinnati), as KY is not a price control state, as Ohio is. Here are some good buys relative to quality that I purchase here in this market:

Grants Blended Scotch: $19.99/1.75ml (good general purpose Scotch from the makers of Balvenie)

Teacher's Highland Cream: $31.99/1.75ml (all round great Scotch)

Old Forrester Signature 100 Proof Bourbon: $31.99/1.75ml

Paul Masson Grande Amber Grande Amber Brandy VSOP: $11.99/750ml (Very good mixing brandy as recommended by Wondrich in Esquire, a mixture of CA brandy & French Cognac)

Hardy VS Cognac: $19.99/750ml (great mixing cognac for more delicate drinks such as the French 75)

Appleton White Rum: $19.99/1.75ml

Coruba Dark Rum: $21.99/1.75

Brugal Black strap Navy Rum: $11.99/750ml

Rittenhouse Bonded Rye: $17.99/750ml (would still be great at twice the price!)

Bols Cordials: $8.99/750ml (good cordials for mixing in cocktails, a major step up from DeKuyper, Arrow, Hiram Walker and half the price of the superior Marie Brizzard brand)

Cheers,

Craig

During lunch with the Arab leader Ibn Saud, when he heard that the king’s religion forbade smoking and alcohol, Winston Churchill said: "I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite the smoking of cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Ibn Saud relented and the lunch went on with both alcohol & cigars.

Vile? What does that mean? I think you may have grabbed a bad bottle, sir.

Well I guess, to me it tastes too much like molasses and too little like fermented molasses. And it runs roughshod over anything else I've put it in.

I've had this problem too. I bought it because it was cheap and came recommended, but when I've used it the results were not so good. How do people use it?

A little bit at a time. I love that it brings a whole can of molasses whup-ass. My favorite place for it is floating on top of a mint julep made with Royer Force 53. I use it all the time, especially in the summer, about a spoonful at a time, to "punch up" anything that needs it. Brilliant in combination with orgeat, I might add.

Vile? What does that mean? I think you may have grabbed a bad bottle, sir.

Well I guess, to me it tastes too much like molasses and too little like fermented molasses. And it runs roughshod over anything else I've put it in.

I've had this problem too. I bought it because it was cheap and came recommended, but when I've used it the results were not so good. How do people use it?

Maybe I have an unrefined palate but I really like it in a Corn 'n' Oil with plenty of lime in the summer. Ah, summer. Sigh.

Finally tried the Cruzan blackstrap, and even as a float on a fairly generic hotel bar "rum punch" with canned juices (ugh!) it really made a difference. Heavier and more molasses-like than Goslings; a different species altogether.

At about $18 a bottle, this definitely makes my list for summer drink essentials.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

• 2 months later...

My liquor store had 10% off any 1.75's so, being out of rum (and not really a rum drinker), I grabbed some cruzan aged light rum. Is this supposed to be a decent rum? I understand its not a high end spirit, but it really comes off like nail polish remover to me.

Do I just not get it? Or is this pretty bad booze.

My liquor store had 10% off any 1.75's so, being out of rum (and not really a rum drinker), I grabbed some cruzan aged light rum.  Is this supposed to be a decent rum?  I understand its not a high end spirit, but it really comes off like nail polish remover to me.

Do I just not get it?  Or is this pretty bad booze.

I picked up a bottle in a pinch one day, but might as well not have. Agreed, it's not up to snuff, even as a budget item. There's no appreciable rum flavor.

I used to find it a decent option a while back, but lately I think that something's changed at Cruzan, especially with that light rum, which may as well be vodka. Hrm, maybe that's the plan....

i wonder if the formula changed as U.S. demand went up. it went from obscurity to bacardi replacement for so many bars and households. global demand can kick an artisan's ass.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Ugh, thats what I was afraid of.  Man, I wish I hadn't bought 1.75.  What does one do with this much crappy booze.  I tried a daiquiri with it and it tasted like I made it with nail polish remover.  Bleh.

i like that rotgut kind of stuff. i just load it up with cocktail bitters... i feel like expectations of light rums are too high. its not exactly blanco tequila. it should just be affordable and thats about it.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

The thing for me is, flor de cana silver costs about the same as the cruzan* but is in a different league quality-wise. To my palate, bitters or no, there's no reason not to expend the extra effort to source the fdc at a more reasonable price. Then at least one can enjoy a daiquiri when so desired.

*in some stores, and providing you can even find it. in my area it's either unavailable or priced at $16-21 to cruzan's $10.

Ugh, thats what I was afraid of.  Man, I wish I hadn't bought 1.75.  What does one do with this much crappy booze.  I tried a daiquiri with it and it tasted like I made it with nail polish remover.  Bleh.

i like that rotgut kind of stuff. i just load it up with cocktail bitters... i feel like expectations of light rums are too high. its not exactly blanco tequila. it should just be affordable and thats about it.

I wasn't expecting it to change my life. And I'm not one who must always have the high end everything because I have <sarcasm> such an amazing palate.</sarcasm> I'll pound a high life's with the best of them. But this stuff actually tastes bad. Not just "meh" or "not like much," but actually unpleasant.

The thing for me is, flor de cana silver costs about the same as the cruzan* but is in a different league quality-wise. To my palate, bitters or no, there's no reason not to expend the extra effort to source the fdc at a more reasonable price. Then at least one can enjoy a daiquiri when so desired.

*in some stores, and providing you can even find it. in my area it's either unavailable or priced at $16-21 to cruzan's $10.

I'll try to find some of that. I'll also try to play around with infusing it. Wonder if the store would take it back.