• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deathmatch Posse on Bizarre Foods TV

johnnyd

gallery_16643_6044_52220.jpg

A year ago some Portland chefs were hanging around shooting the breeze. Wouldn't it be cool to get together some night, pick a theme ingredient and each cook something interesting? Maybe not just interesting, but exotic?

In fact, just how far can we go?

Deathmatch was born from a casual dare in Portland, Maine's chef community, a vibrant and busy restaurant scene on some of New England's most picturesque coast.

Since then, there have been three dinner parties - each bigger than the last - each with a theme from which each chef (or team) wrestles a dish for the others to sample. Results have been imaginative, fascinating, spectacular, or just hilarious, but always in the spirit of good fun and camaraderie.

Deathmatch was never a contest in the traditional sense. There are no winners or losers. The name may say otherwise but it was picked more in the heavy-metal spirit of hard work and long hours in hot kitchens that - you know if you've been there - tends to twist your mind.

gallery_16643_6044_27974.jpg

The first Deathmatch chose foie gras as the theme ingredient. The second, a deer was slaughtered, dressed and divided among the chefs for a memorable feast. The third chose a Japanese theme. Somehow, word got around. :wink:

Enter Andrew Zimmern, the affable host of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel cable network. The tip-off might have come from his old college chum Samantha Lindgren, co-owner/operator of a unique, food-centric bookstore in Portland, Rabelais Books, herself a Deathmatch participant. In any case, the Travel Channel thought it was a good story, and up to Maine they came with a crew of five and a ton of gear to shoot a show about Maine's food scene.

Besides a look at some of Portland's premier restaurants and the indigenous foods beloved by them, the Bizarre foods team asked the Deathmatch Posse if they could film an outdoor gathering of the group cooking with Maine-based ingredients - the more bizarre the better.

Well, hell yeah!! Deathmatch posse on TV??! C'mon, now! :biggrin: I'm sure no one a year ago could imagine that we'd be asked to stage a TV show, so we are going for it, man!

Fortunately for everybody, the weather took a turn for the better the day of the shoot. After six days slogging around Maine in rain and fog, the TV crew were hoping for a banner day for Deathmatch and all were rewarded handsomely.

gallery_16643_6044_265.jpg

That's Andrew and his Dad, Bob, and ace camera guy, Steve. The party was held on one of the many islands in Casco Bay at a waterfront home of friends of the family.

I'll take a break and post some pictures later. Unfortunately as one of the chefs I had less opportunity to take photos than I had hoped for, but luckily Ms Katie Selva - chief photographer of prior Deathmatch events was on hand, and might provide additional shots later.

This is a day I will never forget.

Edited by Busboy (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

so THAT explains what he was doing on saturday...

he (and the crew) were at hugo's on friday night, where he was speaking quite favorably about 2 courses he had; the first was shrimp crackers? where he said something like, "i've had these all over asia, and these are the best i've had".

so THAT explains what he was doing on saturday...

he (and the crew) were at hugo's on friday night, where he was speaking quite favorably about 2 courses he had; the first was shrimp crackers? where he said something like, "i've had these all over asia, and these are the best i've had".

Actually, Deathmatch crew was taped yesterday, Sunday, June 8. Saturday, I was scheduled to take the crew out on a boat and dive for some scallops but the shooting schedule got pushed back due to weather, so they made up some footage instead. Damn disappointing but I didn't have to freeze my ass off in the briny deep, so okay by me!

I was at Hugo's Friday night to meet Andrew and the crew just when they were wrapping up. Rayna, one of the crew, and I shared the cheesecake with white balsamic sorbet and rasberries. Amazing. Chef Rob Evans and his late night customers were most gracious in spite of people chattering loudly and running around with cameras.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

A couple weeks before the shoot we all received a helpful email from Kel, Andrew's producer:

The current schedule (subject to change) for Sunday June 8 is:

8:00a - Crew/Chefs call to Long Wharf – Load in

8:15a - 1st Ferry departs to Island (Charter Run)

8:30a - Offload and company move to Location

9:30a - Shoot b-roll: Party Set Up / Chef Prep

10:00a - Guests call to Long Wharf – Load in

10:30a - 2nd Ferry departs to Island (Charter Run)

10:45a - Shoot b-roll: Guests arrival dockside

11:30a - Shoot Death Match

2:00p - Wrap Death Match

3:00p - Shoot Show Close (Andrew Only)

3:45p - 1st Ferry departs to Portland (Charter Run)

5:00p - 2nd Ferry departs to Portland (Scheduled Run)

Eight o'clock on a bright Sunday morning cause some chefs I know to spontaneously burst into flame.

gallery_16643_6044_45371.jpg

Bleary-eyed, we loaded coolers and baggage on to the boat and glided into the harbor.

Below, in glasses, is Travel Channel producer Kel. Behind, is Erin who did sound, and Dominic on #2 camera. All were most agreeable, helpful and nice to be around.

gallery_16643_6044_4337.jpg

We had a couple hours to set up and get a sense of the place before Andrew and the guests arrived on the 10:45 boat.

gallery_16643_6044_47042.jpg

Our hosts had an urn of coffee, blueberry and coffee cake waiting on the veranda.

gallery_16643_6044_31888.jpg

Portland Food Map.com

gallery_16643_6044_53624.jpg

Several tables were laid out in a circle under a stand of birch trees where pairs of chefs set their mise en place.

The camera crew got a few shots as chefs prepared their dishes.

gallery_16643_6044_7208.jpg

There was a kitchen inside where some people needed to use a heat source, but we were asked to prep as much as possible before arriving to keep a minimum of pressure on the hosts.

This is Kate doing a little something as the camera rolls.

gallery_16643_6044_10588.jpg

The crew has asked that I don't detail the Deathmatch menu as I usually do until after the show airs - which I totally understand - but I do have sneak peeks of three dishes in various forms of completion coming up that won't, I'm sure, sink the network.

Besides, the whole point of teasers is to get you to watch, right? The eGullet world will finally see that giant mole on the side of my nose... :hmmm:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

gallery_16643_6044_35513.jpg

The Crew is almost ready. A few were ready a long time ago and so decide to pop open some beers or wine. I mean, c'mon! We are not doing 300 covers today.

gallery_16643_6044_14701.jpg

This is one of the first courses, Maine Winterpoint Oysters with Rosa Rugosa. A puree of Pickled Ramp and Sea Beans was artfully applied later for serving.

gallery_16643_6044_7004.jpg

Having run a busy Oyster Bar I helped shuck a few dozen oysters for this dish.

The Wyatt posse made an amazing Tureen of Venison and Moosemeat, House-Pickled Fiddleheads were served alongside later,

gallery_16643_6044_46914.jpg

A most inventive course towards the end was Allen's Coffee Brandy Whoopie Pies with Moxie Marshmallow filling,

gallery_16643_6044_59274.jpg

If that's not a tip of the cap to Maine I don't know what is.

I count eighteen dishes on the menu, some of which I was too busy to see, so I will have to wait with the rest of you to see the show for the other incredible creations.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

Wish we could get that program here Johnny. I'm dying to see your giant mole :biggrin:. I meant the wonderful dishes that were served.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

About 11:00 or so, Andrew and Kel call the group around the veranda to brief everybody on what is about to happen.

gallery_16643_6044_32161.jpg

Various camera strategies are explained. Tips on being on camera were announced. Everything seemed to be on schedule and no one - of course - was in trouble prep-wise.

A few of us [raises hand] hadn't thought through presentation, so shelves of attractive crockery and platters were cheerfully offered by our wonderful hosts.

We were ready to rock.

:cool:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

The cameras followed the circle of tables stopping at each station. Andrew chatted with the chef, shot a few close-ups and sampled some Deathmatch cooking.

gallery_16643_6044_23469.jpg

This is Mitch, who works at Portland's new French Restaurant/Bistro, Evangeline,

gallery_16643_6044_38717.jpg

He is a seriously accomplished chef and therefore, slightly deranged. Good for us too because he pulled off some incredible food,

gallery_16643_6044_9120.jpg

Andrew thought so too.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

What a beautiful day and teaser pix. So when does the show air?

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

What a beautiful day and teaser pix. So when does the show air?

It really was a stunning piece of weather, Margo. The first hot day of the Summer, but cooler on the island. A bit of breeze late in the day, but well after we had wrapped.

As for air date, the original plan was to air it in August but after shooting finished and we all started to kick back and party, Andrew and Kel were mulling over new options. The week in Maine exceeded their expectations so far that a more premier spot on the schedule is being considered - maybe even a season finale. :smile: Keep an eye on this topic for updates.

Fantastic Johnny! Looks like a beautiful day and a wonderful time..

Dude!

You would have loved this!

Once the show is broadcast I'll post more about the menu, with pics. I am dying... dying, sitting here not being able to elaborate more on the food at this spectacular gig!

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

What a coup for the Deathmatch gang!

I've not watched a full show before but I'll now make a point to do so. I feel like I know many of the characters from the previous 'matches. I'm anticipating the dishes . . .

the Bizarre foods team asked the Deathmatch Posse if they could film an outdoor gathering of the group cooking with Maine-based ingredients - the more bizarre the better.

Hmmmm . . . I'm confident you guys found some handsome ingredients from the ocean and forest. I'm on tenterhooks.

BTW your lupines are a week or two ahead of ours.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

gallery_16643_6044_92916.jpg

An interesting addition to the party was an experimental brew from Allagash Brewery, a Portland, ME based microbrewer specializing in Belgian-style beers. They had isolated a special Brettanomyces yeast from Belgium and cultivated it in-house. The yeast was among others in a recipe added to a Belgian-style base and stored in some French oaken wine barrels for two years. Eight 5-gallon kegs were ready this month and we got one.

It had a winey characteristic but overall a complex flavor. Fascinating. The yet-to-be-named brew will not be for sale for another two years. D.L. Geary Brewing gave us a couple cases of it's signature Pale and seasonal Summer as well (thanks, David!).

gallery_16643_6044_42691.jpg

So the Deathmatch Posse scored big time today.

Even though the party will be whittled down mightily to a scant six or so minutes, we'll get a few seconds of face-time on cable TV. :cool: Besides having cameras record your every slice and dice, it differed also in that we were missing a couple of regulars who decided to take some needed time off, and for the television audience, a ballot was created. The criteria was good-natured (sorry: have to wait for the show) but for that reason it wasn't a real Deathmatch.

We'll be back with a yet-to-be determined theme some time in the early autumn, in the peace of our Portland home location.

gallery_16643_6044_12387.jpg

Andrew's show featured some terrific features of Maine's food landscape, much of which I leave to the broadcast itself, but a recent post on The Ethicurean.com finds site author Bonnie Powell at Rabelais Books the day of Andrew's visit. Boy, was she surprised.

Andrew wraps up the show against a stunning backdrop of ocean and sky...

gallery_16643_6044_10329.jpg

A special thanks goes out to everyone who made this possible, especially our island hosts. As soon as I know a broadcast date and/or alternative viewing opportunities I will post it here. After broadcast, I know at least a hundred additional photos are available of the event and the best will be posted here because, well, you just have to see some of those plates.

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 months later...

From the folks at Rabelais Books, this nugget from their newsletter:

Some of you may remember back in June something about a TV crew coming to Portland to shoot the food scene.  Well we now have an air date.  Tune your TVs or program your Tivo to the Travel Channel for Andrew Zimmern’s Bizarre Foods on November 18th.  We have no idea how much of what they shot will make it into the show, but we do know that they shot some fantastic and unusual food here in the state so they have a ton of raw material to work with. Should be interesting to watch

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 months later...

Another item from the Rabelais Books newsletter received last week:

November 18th brings the airing of the The Travel Channel’s Bizarre Foods episode on Maine.  Set your Tivo or gather a group to watch some of Maine’s astounding talent prepare some of our local dishes.  Segments include Rob Evans, Sam Hayward, Rod Mitchell, Rick Tibbetts, Kate Gooding, Linda Greenlaw and - of course - the Deathmatch crew.  And while the show is called Bizarre Foods, the foods shown on the show (not that I’ve seen it yet) are familiar to most Maine foodies, and barely bizarre.   Rabelais may show up in the show, I am just hoping if they used any footage of us, that I do not sound like a complete twit...

The Maine episode will air at 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. Nov. 18, at 2 a.m. Nov. 19, at 9 p.m. on Nov. 24, and at 1 a.m. on Nov. 25.

Especially auspicious as the recent Deathmatch, Forage! Grow Kill! which took place over Labor Day weekend was covered by three and four-page photo/articles in the November issues of two local magazines: "Meet Portland's Kitchen Outlaws" in Port City Life, and "Backyard Gourmets - Portland's Best Young Chefs vie for supremacy in Deathmatch" in Maine Home & Design. (Neither site includes the article - sad to say).

I have a LOT more photos from Katie's camera to post after the show airs.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

In anticipation of the TV show, it's time to start covering the afternoon of June 8, 2008 in true Deathmatch style. I will break down the menu with accompanying photos where available after the show airs tomorrow night.

Many thanks to Katie Selva who snapped the following photos. Thanks to her, we have lots more coverage of that beautiful afternoon with our guest, Andrew Zimmern, host of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel.

gallery_16643_6044_20803.jpg

The Bizarre Foods Maine episode airs:

Nov. 18 @ 10 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Nov. 19 @ 2 a.m.

Nov. 24 @ 9 p.m.

Nov. 25 @ 1 a.m.

See Trailer Here (available for a limited time)

gallery_16643_6044_96540.jpg

But for now, Katie has some great shots of the first Deathmatch filmed for television.

Early that morning, our ring leaders, Joe Ricchio and Jon Dietz missed the charter ferry with the rest of the posse and dialed up a water taxi to the island.

gallery_16643_6044_20488.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_18929.jpg

They wasted no time getting in the mood...

gallery_16643_6044_20047.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_24714.jpg

Next time, I'm going to miss the boat too.

---------------

For those who haven't ever been involved in taping a TV show with cooking involved, you get something like this a few weeks before shooting takes place:

Greetings All

I want to thank you for helping us with our upcoming Maine episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. As a reminder, we are shooting this on Sunday, June 8th. I have arranged for transportation to/from the island via a chartered ferry which will depart at 8.15a from Long Wharf / Ramp 3. Our island hosts for the party are [deleted]. To help minimize the impact on them, especially in their kitchen, I want to ask a few favors:

1. Prep your food, as much as you can, prior - but do not assemble it, unless it is a dish that you have to. I would like to shoot some of that process with each chef at their table. With that said, if you can reserve (or have duplicate) some of your ingredients in their raw form - we would love to see it when we shoot Andrew sampling your dish.

2. Bring any cookware/utensils/coolers that you might need. Ferry Boat Captain Hal requests that you bring your items in cooler/boxes and not use paper bags - damp sea air/water will make the bags fall apart.

3. If you need a heat source, let me know. If you have a small portable ELECTRIC grill/cooktop, my suggestion is to bring it. Coast Guard regulations prohibits the transportation of any propane tanks or flammable liquids aboard the ferry. If you must use a specific heat source, we should arrange transportation of it with one of the chefs who have access to a private boat.

The following is on the island: Gas BBQ, Charcoal BBQ, Upright Smoker, Gas oven w/ 4 burners and a toaster oven. No Microwave.

4. Wear comfortable/casual clothes (no logos/slogans or trademarked designs - if you own the rights to the logo/design/name, talk to me first about wearing it) and sensible shoes. Captain Hal says that heels get caught in the docks all the time.

5. If you do not want your face seen by 85 million people, or you are trying to keep a low profile from law enforcement.... don't come. I can't take you out of the show once we have shot it. Also, you will be required to sign a release form which will give the show and The Travel Channel the right to use your likeness, voice etc.

6. Have fun... it will make for good tv.

This is intended to be an outdoor event but, we are working on Plan B scenarios should weather become a factor. Any decisions to relocate the event will be made no later than Friday June 7

I will be arriving in town on Monday June 2nd. If you have any questions or comments, please contact me right away via email or cell phone.

Best Regards,

Producer

Bizarre Foods w/ Andrew Zimmern

Fortunately, I am in good standing with Law Enforcement... for now.

People caught on camera are asked to sign a release form so that the Show can broadcast your bad self with your permission:

gallery_16643_6044_73399.jpg

To keep track of everybody, we were asked to write down what we were wearing.

gallery_16643_6044_39612.jpg

While we were setting up, Katie and Joe brought out the beautiful coffee table book that immortalizes the Deer Deathmatch from last year. It was a very ambitious dinner - unforgettable, really - and a benchmark we will no doubt transcend in the future.

gallery_16643_6044_146135.jpg

Here is Andrew Zimmern, Katie Selva and Joe Ricchio.

gallery_16643_6044_146952.jpg

I ran into Andrew's Dad, Bob, this morning at Harbor Fish Market right after it opened - he was pretty excited. "We're going to be on TV!", we said together, jumping up and down like children.

Portland Food Map.com

For those so inclined,

The Bizarre Foods Maine episode airs:

Nov. 18 @ 10 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Nov. 19 @ 2 a.m.

Nov. 24 @ 9 p.m.

Nov. 25 @ 1 a.m.

Deathmatch Fly Girls:

gallery_16643_6044_81654.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_83580.jpg

Bob Zimmern, Andrew Zimmern and Producer Extraordinaire, Kel:

gallery_16643_6044_110705.jpg

Mitch from Evangeline steps up,

gallery_16643_6044_2057.jpg

Colin Wyatt shows off Maine's finest,

gallery_16643_6044_34999.jpg

Portland foodies are on fire tonight as Andrew's show draws nigh...

:cool:

Portland Food Map.com

gallery_16643_6044_100011.jpg

This was the first hot day of the summer - about 90°F - but on the islands of Casco Bay the cold sea-water brought it down to 75°F. In a month, this view will have a intoxicating haze that wraps around you. That's summer in New England.

With the broadcast finally behind us, I can show presentations that were left on the cutting-room floor. A shame, because everyone brought something exciting that day, but as expected, post-production condensed an afternoon's revelry into around eight or nine minutes. Katie and I didn't get everybody's dish, but here goes...

Deathmatch - Bizarre Maine Foods - June 8, 2008

1st course - Stephen Benenson

Maine Oysters - Pickled Ramp Puree - Rosa Rogosa - Sea Beans

gallery_16643_6044_90750.jpg

Fresh horseradish here. Crucial component. These were delicious and expertly opened, I might add...

gallery_16643_6044_129215.jpg

2nd course - Jon Dietz & Joe Ricchio

"Soup and a Sandwich"

New England-Style Monkfish-Head Chowdah with Fried Fish-Maw

gallery_16643_6044_57658.jpg

This was a lot uglier in person. Delectable chowdah

gallery_16643_6044_56724.jpg

Sea Cucumber - Ramp - Konbu Butter - Tea Sandwich

gallery_16643_6044_127845.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_55197.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_142255.jpg

3rd course - Robert Pieper & Patty Heggarty

"Pieper's Winkles"

Butter-Poached Periwinkles - Pickled Fiddleheads - Local Mushroom Confit

gallery_16643_6044_64171.jpg

Sadly, I don't have anything else to show for this exquisite combination - and I shared the table! I was grateful to get the last mouthful - earthy, buttery goodness.

gallery_16643_6044_19442.jpg

4th course - JohnnyD

"Karashi Hirameko Temaki"

Roe of Gulf of Maine Flounder marinated in Japanese Red Pepper and Sake - Handroll with Shiso leaf and Sunflower Sprouts

gallery_16643_6044_108249.jpg

This was an experiment I had recently posted on eGullet that was tailor-made for this gig. Looks scary enough to get on camera and I saw last night that it certainly made the cut. The bad news: I don't have a picture of my beautiful temakis. :angry:

To hold the hand-rolls, I had a metal grid that I claimed was part of a lobster trap... I could tell by the Producers arched eyebrow he wasn't buying that. :biggrin:

gallery_16643_6044_107979.jpg

From right to left:

Robert Pieper, 555 - John Dennison, johnnyd - Steve Sousa, Vignola - (don't know the fellow at far left).

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

The Deathmatch Beverage - Candace Poirier

White Pine and Teaberry Flip

gallery_16643_6044_57501.jpg

Fascinating cooler on a Maine summer's day,

Or you could do this,

gallery_16643_6044_41226.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_140571.jpg

5th course - Colin & Bronwen Wyatt

Wild Moose and Venison Pate - Salad of Pickled Wild Maine Vegetable on Crostini

gallery_16643_6044_148192.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_106282.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_128413.jpg

The talented Wyatt brother/sister team never disappoint,

gallery_16643_6044_98397.jpg

They also make custom T-shirts for every Deathmatch.

6th course - Nolan Stewart

"The Maine Italian Sandwich 2 Ways"

gallery_16643_6044_147824.jpg

Original: Ham - Green Pepper - Tomato - Black Olives - Cheese - S&P

gallery_16643_6044_46145.jpg

Bizarre: Braised Pig Ear & Tongue - Peppadew - Olivia's Garden Dehydrated Tomatoes - Local Gin-pickled Fennel - Rosemont Bakery Semolina Roll

Everyone said this was amazing. I had my hands full of flounder roe and never got close to Nolan's table. :hmmm:

7th course - Sean McClure and Mitchell Gerow

"Obscurf & Turf"

Seaweed 3 ways - Uni Spheres - Tomalley Dumplings - Maine Moose Tartare with Egg Yolk - Confit of Duck Gizzards, Hearts and Feet

gallery_16643_6044_112044.jpg

When Andrew came around to these guys he said, "Ah, these are the real chefs!"

gallery_16643_6044_62395.jpg

No one could argue with a guy who hops around the planet filming chefs of any and all stripes and skill levels. Sean and Mitch have cooking in their blood and it shows. It is a treat for an amateur like me to watch them work.

gallery_16643_6044_15108.jpg

Seaweed three ways,

gallery_16643_6044_62059.jpg

Uni Spheres,

gallery_16643_6044_15871.jpg

Dumplings are ready for plating,

gallery_16643_6044_30356.jpg

... and voilà!

gallery_16643_6044_73797.jpg

gallery_16643_6044_6125.jpg

I never got a chance to see Mitch's Moose meat tartare until the broadcast. Sean saved me the last Tomalley dumpling and it was pretty damn good.

------------

Next up:

June Bugs 3 Ways

gallery_16643_6044_86588.jpg

:raz:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

gallery_16643_6044_69105.jpg

8th course - Pickett Street Posse (Kate Squibb & Josh Potocki)

June Bug 3 Ways

gallery_16643_6044_114640.jpg

Kate and Josh, collected a mass of june bugs a couple evenings prior to the island event and experimented with a few ways to prepare them, settling on three dishes. This, after discovering that certain parts of the critters are inedible, like the exoskeleton.

gallery_16643_6044_113584.jpg

After a quick roast in a dry pan, they are easier to remove and then the fun begins.

gallery_16643_6044_58199.jpg

I like the simple syrup squeeze bottle - crack

gallery_16643_6044_3592.jpg

June Bug Malted Balls,

gallery_16643_6044_92944.jpg

Unfortunately, this is the only completed dish of the three we have - glasses for the June-nipper behind the plate (it featured a vodka gimlet rimmed with toasted junebug, crushed juniper berries, and Maine sea salt).

gallery_16643_6044_146452.jpg

This table was clearly the most intriguing to Andrew and Bob. I think everyone else were pretty squeamish, including this local writer in attendance that day. Once again, I was too busy spinning up handrolls to try any of their bugs.

gallery_16643_6044_184959.jpg

Deathmatch Dessert - Rebecca

"Fools Drunken Goat"

Cabernet Gluten-free Tart - Goat Cheese Mousse - Rhubarb Fool

gallery_16643_6044_101590.jpg

Team Wyatt

Allen's Coffee-Brandy Whoopie Pies with Moxie Marshmallow filling

gallery_16643_6044_144023.jpg

At this point, the Bizarre Foods crew produced some ballots for those in attendance to vote for the most memorable item on the menu.

Presentation was over so we all kicked back with some drinks,

gallery_16643_6044_132213.jpg

Zimmern Father & Son count the ballots,

gallery_16643_6044_2009.jpg

Andrew took to the terrace and announced how wonderful every dish really was, but couldn't help noticing almost all the ballots mentioned The Pickett Posse's junebugs as the most novel plate of the day. :biggrin:

Andrew signs menus as we pack up,

gallery_16643_6044_13048.jpg

On the ride back, we were all pretty bushed - we all got more sun than we realized, of course.

gallery_16643_6044_38476.jpg

Joe and Jon missed that boat too, and arranged a more fun way to get back to town,

gallery_16643_6044_62580.jpg

Thanks for visiting the Deathmatch Crew in Portland, Maine!

gallery_16643_6044_75916.jpg

For those new to the Deathmatch posse of Portland cooking talent, and would like a peek at prior memorable feasts, see the list below arranged by date and menu-challenge:

October 14th 2007 - Deathmatch Deer: click here

March 9, 2008 - Deathmatch Japanese: click here

June 7, 2008 - Deathmatch Bizarre Foods: click here

August 31st, 2008 - Forage! Grow! Kill! click here

I have located photos of the very first Deathmatch in August 2007, which I did not attend. It was a Foie Gras challenge. I will assemble a report of that evening in the coming months.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

June bugs three ways? Well I didn't see that coming. At a glance I thought maybe they were honey dates (from Maine?) being called june bugs -- but of course they're real insects.

So how does someone come up with a dish like that? Sitting around the porch listening to the rat-a-tat-tat of june bugs on the lamp, and then thinking yum? Why not dig up the larvae -- harder to clean, but no crunchy exoskeleton to slow you down.

Maybe I'm not the omnivore I'd like to think I am, I believe I would've passed on the june bugs. :sad:

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Do reconsider, Peter! Look how delicious these little guys are! :raz:

gallery_16643_6044_43125.jpg

Why not dig up the larvae -- harder to clean, but no crunchy exoskeleton to slow you down.

Good call, Peter! That is exactly what Kate did - larvae were stuffed inside the June Bug Malt Balls. That's what's in the white bucket on the kitchen stove up-thread. Camera guy has his lens up nice and close. I'm going to have to keep an eye open for that when it comes around Monday the 24th.

In case anyone missed this weeks Bizarre Foods Maine broadcast, check out these airings next week:

Nov. 24 @ 9 p.m.

Nov. 25 @ 1 a.m.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com